Thread: Castlevania: LOI - I just completed it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Default Castlevania: LOI - I just completed it

I have been there with the Castlevania series since Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse. I was a wee lad back then, but I feel Konami has brought back all the magic and action with the latest in the series, Lament of Innosence. It was a nice breather (this game) after all those Symphony of the Night clones, and I'm just happy the series made a great leap to the next gen systems.

I was a fan of the N64 games also, so I really didn't have any expectations going into this one, and luckily, It's the start of a whole new kind of Castlevania game.

First Contra, now Castlevania, what's next on the agenda Konami? Dare I say, Rush 'n Attack???? GREAT JOB.

Anyone else enjoy this game?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got LOI on release day but unfortunately have only gotten to put a couple of hours into it so far....but I've enjoyed what I've played very much. I need to find time to play this game more....

I agree with everything ShinobiMan said. I've been a Castlevania fan since Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest released for the NES, and as much as I love SOTN and its many clones on the GBA, I think that LOI is a breath of fresh air and a return to the series roots: straight up ass kicking, no RPG elements or millions of items to collect (there are a few, but nowhere near as many as in SOTN). I also enjoyed the N64 titles, but I enjoy the more intense actioin of LOI compared to the slower paced action and sloppy platforming of the N64 games. I would love to see a 2-D SOTN-esque game on PS2 in the future, but I'm very happy with LOI.

Didn't care too much for Shattered Soldier though, still can't hold a candle to the original Contra, Super C, Contra 3, or even Contra Hard Corps and Contra Force.....I got bored with Shattered Soldier right away.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Yep, I whomped LoI... twice. The first game, I discovered every inch of the castle, collected just about every item, found all enemies, and got 100%. Yes, I even massacred the Forgotten One. The second game, I beat it as Joachim. Still a bit to explore with him, though. What an excellent masterpiece of a game. Konami really outdid theirselves here. But is there a Castlevania game I hate? Heck, I even get some enjoyment out of the Castlevania Adventure!

And I loved Shattered Soldier. I like it more than Hard Corps, and it certainly rocks more than those abberations created by Appaloosa. Those bosses are SO cool...
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Yeah, I finished it last week. It was the first time in a long while that I had actually been determined to finish a game once I started it.

I completed with 100% exploration, and the only items I that were missing from my inventory were the rare drop items. I must say that I had a great time playing this one, and I intend on going back to it and blowing through the @crazy mode. Seeing as how I only died three times while making my way through the first time, I bet this will be rather easy as well.

Good Lord, the music in this game is excellent. I dropped $35 on the soundtrack sampler just so I could listen to it. Of course, that was before I saw that classicgaming.com had the tracks up for download.

It's all good, though.

As for Contra SS, I am a tremendous fan of the first 3 outings, and I really like the new PS2 game. Unfortunately, the difficulty is so high, I tire of it quickly. It's tough to play straight through in one sitting.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is it worth picking up then? I didn't really like SOTN or the GBA Castlevanias, and I didn't like Devil May Cry (which I've heard it compared to). I'm not entirely sure about LoI myself. Was thinking of waiting for hte price drop, especially after all the negative stuff i heard at first, but you guys are saying it's really good. I'm confused.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

What's the deal with the camera? I just played the demo and while the action and the soundrack seemed pretty choice, I wanted to look around this cool castle but the damn camera wouldn't move more than a few inches away from my guy. Is it any better in the game?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    So is it worth picking up then? I didn't really like SOTN or the GBA Castlevanias, and I didn't like Devil May Cry (which I've heard it compared to). I'm not entirely sure about LoI myself. Was thinking of waiting for hte price drop, especially after all the negative stuff i heard at first, but you guys are saying it's really good. I'm confused.
    I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to SOtN and the GBA games. I've given them a try, but they seem to have too many ideas that keep you from focusing on the action at hand.

Things to keep in mind about LoI:

--It's not terribly long, took me 10.5 hours to finish it first time through
    --Lots of backtracking if you want to get 100%(really depends on the order you go through the levels)

I LOVED the game, though. It's my favorite CV game right behind the SNES one.

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    What's the deal with the camera? I just played the demo and while the action and the soundrack seemed pretty choice, I wanted to look around this cool castle but the damn camera wouldn't move more than a few inches away from my guy. Is it any better in the game?
    Nah, camera is the same: fixed in a particular point in each room, with the exception of the connecting hallways, where it kinda floats around. I personally think that it's implemented wonderfully, as it's uncommon for an off-screen enemy to be attacking you. Plus it helps hide some of the secrets.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I love LoI. It's definitely a fine update to the series, and ranks as one of my favorite PS2 games. I love Contra SS too, but it is damned difficult. I have yet to complete it.

Regaqrding upcoming Konami sequels/remakes, has everyone forgotten Gradius V? That one I'm in constant awe of every time I see a screenshot...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    I love LoI. It's definitely a fine update to the series, and ranks as one of my favorite PS2 games. I love Contra SS too, but it is damned difficult. I have yet to complete it.

Regaqrding upcoming Konami sequels/remakes, has everyone forgotten Gradius V? That one I'm in constant awe of every time I see a screenshot...
    Heh, I hate the Gradius series and I'm awaiting Gradius V!

As for LoI...I have a sealed one on the way, but I wasn't sure if I should keep it or trade it in for something else I want!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I say keep it. It really is quite good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Collectors should note that there's a Limited Edition out there (8,000 yen on release day, or roughly $76, as opposed to 6,800 yen (~$59) for the regular).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51

Heh, I hate the Gradius series and I'm awaiting Gradius V!

As for LoI...I have a sealed one on the way, but I wasn't sure if I should keep it or trade it in for something else I want!
    YOU HATE GRADIUS?!?!? RAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Everyone's titled to their own opinion. It's just that... come on, man! Look at my avatar and sig! If Gradius was a candy, I'd be 350 pounds heavy!

Oobgarm, I also love the music. It's on par with the soundtrack of SotN. Truly impressive. My top three favorite tracks, in no particular order:

1: House of Sacred Remains
    2: Anti-Soul Mysteries Lab
    3: Lament of Innocence: Leon's Theme

Michiru Yamane is now one of the gods of VG music. She's right up there with Hip Tanaka and Nobuo Uematsu.

EDIT: Whoopsie. Yamane's a woman. I apologize. I tend to be patriarchal. Geez, now I get the feeling POG or Achika will sever my gonads.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Michiru Yamane is now one of the gods of VG music. He's right up there with Hip Tanaka and Nobuo Uematsu.
    Uh...yeah. About that. Pretty sure Michiru Yamane's a woman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, she is. Oh well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I really, really enjoyed the game, even just grabbing 90% exploration. It was a touch too easy, but that's never a negative. The music was great... really set the mood.

Oddly, I felt that it fell too much into the SotN/GBA pattern. Nothing wrong with that, but it just seemed that way. Maybe it was the HoD item system, I dunno.

dave