Thread: Alternative to Secret Santa?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of people here are going to be super hard to buy for as they already have pretty much everything for every system or everything they already want. Instead of everyone just exchanging unwanted items out of their trade pile, why not donate an extra unwanted system, handheld or something to Toys for Tots or a similar program? I know that's a lot better than waking up X-mas morning to new socks or underwear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon
    A lot of people here are going to be super hard to buy for as they already have pretty much everything for every system or everything they already want. Instead of everyone just exchanging unwanted items out of their trade pile, why not donate an extra unwanted system, handheld or something to Toys for Tots or a similar program? I know that's a lot better than waking up X-mas morning to new socks or underwear.

Please start a separate thread to discuss this. I'd like to keep THIS thread pertinent to Secret Santa sign ups. Thanks.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Yeah but Zaxxon, everyone who's signed up for this knows that already. Every participant will submit a "want list" so it shouldn't be "super hard" unless the want list is outside of the parameters ($30 value).

I think I'd be tough to buy for buy my want list always includes common stuff for various platforms. I tend to think that collectors are the EASIEST people to please since so many of them are into just about EVERYTHING.

As for your alternate idea, I think it's a great one! Can you give us a link or point us to the contact information we'd need to take up your plan of action?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a good starting point might be a local childrens hospital. i know that most toys for tots programs, such as marine corp and fire dept. ones are looking for new unopened toys, which precludes old video games. however when my son stayed overnight at children's hospital in boston the older child across the room was playing an SNES on loan from the hospitals toy room. the toy room had 4 SNESs and shoebox of games, they could use more i'm sure. maybe it was just the circumstance but i dont think that kid cared less that he wasnt playing a PS2 or xbox, he seemed plenty happy with donkey kong country and mickey mouse...
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON