Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

I got the Ashe on my strategy guide cover....

/me shrugs
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played this for awhile last night. To be honest I was pretty disappointed

Keep in mind these are my impressions after playing for about an hour or so...

Graphics - First off, while the FMV is jaw dropping, the actual graphics are pretty ho-hum. I haven't been playing my PS2 is a dog's age, mostly cube and xbox, and maybe I just got a little spoiled by their generally better graphics, but going back to this is pretty shitty. Wow the textures are super pixelly unless you're very close and the citizens of the city pop-in, wow

Combat - Secondly, what the hell is with the combat system? I knew that there weren't going to be any random encounters, and that's fine. I thought, great, that's like Crono Trigger / Crono Cross. But the combat system plays just like an MMORPG. I suppose if you like MMORPGs, you'll dig this, but if you're like me and can't stand them, this is a pretty big disappointment.

A.I.- I didn't play it for long last night, I've still just got the main character alone, so I was thinking "Geeze, how will I be able to control the other characters?", well I looked into my guide and sure enough... Artificial Intelligence. Uggh. Not only can't you control your other characters, but you have to deal with the gambits shit trying to set up their A.I. At one point the guide warns that the system is wonky enough so that if you set action: Steal with the condition Enemy HP = 100% then your character will actually run off all alone and become useless. Great.

Licence system - Oh God, it's the sphere grid all over again! What happened to the days of "Black mage levelled up, learned Ice 2"??? Why do they keep using these horribly complex systems? I want to play the game so I can experience the plot, not some god awful looking chess board levelling system

Fetch quests - And finally, the first 30 minutes of the game was AWESOME! The FMV and introductory plot was fantastic! Loved it despite the wonky battle system. The plot was so good it sucked you in and didn't let go. It was exciting, interesting, and action packed. After this, they introduce the main character, and what do they make me do? Fetch quests??!? What the hell? Fetch quests? I just played what could be my favorite Final Fantasy intro ever and you're making me do fetch quests for an hour? I turned it off after the second or third one. I don't mind fetch quests as a sidequest, but when I have to do it? Screw that.

Can someone please tell me it gets better than this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just want to add...

The above post seems really negative, but don't get the wrong impression, I'm not anti-PS2 or anything. I really DO want to like the game. Here's hoping it gets better!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    I just want to add...

The above post seems really negative, but don't get the wrong impression, I'm not anti-PS2 or anything. I really DO want to like the game. Here's hoping it gets better!
    Nope, just like every other RPG ever, the first hour is completely indicative of how bland the story will be, how the characters won't develop, and how you'll never get used to anything thats different from the last RPG you played.

Yes, it gets better. Much, much better. You can have full control of all of your characters at all times, gambits aren't necessary... unless you want to live. The gambit system is FANTASTIC. It's like programming If > Then statements for the characters you aren't currently controlling, but at any point in the battle you can bring up the battle menu and tell any of your characters to do anything you want.

You can even change gambits in the middle of a battle. For instance, I had my healer on a "If Ally < %70 Health -> Use Cure" gambit, and when he ran out of magic, I brought up the menu and changed Cure to Potion.

It's not daunting at all, it's actually fairly brilliant. It's a very welcome breath of fresh air.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who else is using the Bradygames strategy guide? What, if any, problems have you noticed with it?

My first came tonight. I just finished some events in which the chick was in my party, then she left and I was alone again (still very early in the game).

The guide said "now's a good time to do a hunt" (the mutated wolf one), so I went and tried it, and got slaughtered. I tried again, and killed again... not even close. Well, I checked the sidequests part of the guidebook, and the entry it had for this monster specifically said you should wait until you have three members in your party before you try this! I obviously can't do it now, so piss off you lousy book!

WTF? There's no excuse for something so lame It's not even like it was a cheap book, that little bugger cost an arm and a leg! Anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Who else is using the Bradygames strategy guide? What, if any, problems have you noticed with it?

My first came tonight. I just finished some events in which the chick was in my party, then she left and I was alone again (still very early in the game).

The guide said "now's a good time to do a hunt" (the mutated wolf one), so I went and tried it, and got slaughtered. I tried again, and killed again... not even close. Well, I checked the sidequests part of the guidebook, and the entry it had for this monster specifically said you should wait until you have three members in your party before you try this! I obviously can't do it now, so piss off you lousy book!

WTF? There's no excuse for something so lame It's not even like it was a cheap book, that little bugger cost an arm and a leg! Anyone else had similar problems?
    I noticed the same thing, but thats a bit of a stretch. I mean, it's the second of what, 100 hunts? I still haven't had a chance to do it 10 hours into the game, I tried it once and got wasted (went too far into the westersand), so I'll come back to it later.

It really sounds like you're reaching for reasons not to like the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    It really sounds like you're reaching for reasons not to like the game.
    Actually I've kind of gotten into the game. I've gotten used to the fighting system, and that was my major hurdle. I quite like how your MPs regenerate just by walking around, thus making cure spells much more useful. And while I had whats-her-face with me for that one mission, she didn't do anything retarded (which was another of my concerns). Plus, selling loot seems to ensure you're never at a loss for money, which is pretty fun

With the above post, I was just pissy about the guide book, not the game itself.

Of course, this isn't the first time Bradygames has screwed up a guide, there guide for FFX-2 was horrible, and if you followed it, you'd never be able to get 100% completion (therefore not getting the super secret ending).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

15 hours in and loving it all (except the 3 character party limit, needs to be 4 not counting guests). Guide isnt the best, I just use it for the convenience of the maps and item locations, and the VERY hand liscense board poster. I am trying to boycott all new game releases for a bit (until wii) so I can spend some time with this game, because I have a bad habit of never finishing rpgs due to playing other games.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I came across some money so I got the guide too. I got a Basch cover. Mostly got it for the licence board and for side quests to make sure i dont miss one. I don't like to follow the guide 100%, but I just reference it if I need. The artbook is nice too!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I did the hunt right before the girl leaves after the Sunstone quest and killed it.

The art book is definitly beautiful!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a total convert. I really like this game. I've gotten used to the fighting system. It's pretty great actually.

The gambits for A.I. is good too, very reliable and accurate IF you're careful in how they're set up.

I'm still not a big fan of the licence table, but that's fine. The story has gotten very interesting - I could barely stop playing last night!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I'm 23 hours in or so and I'm headed up to Mt.... something. In the snow.

I've come to realize that the battle system is absolutely brilliant. You can grind for a half hour and get something done, where in any other RPG a half hour is just 15 minutes of load times.

The boss battles are really frantic and require a good deal of thought on how to pull them off. The first esper you encounter is one hell of a battle... survived it with one character and 5 dead ones.

Totally awesome. I'm loving it, too bad Guitar Hero 2 is going to deter me from it two and a half hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'm 21 hours in as of last night. At this point I think I'm qualified to say FFXII has the best combat system of any FF to date.

To clarify for those who haven't played this game: This is not an "action rpg", it's not a "hack-n-slash" type battle scheme. The battle system is still turn based. From what I had read previous to the release, I thought the gameplay would be similar to the Tales series...it's not by a longshot.

Also, the lack of random encounters works so well with the flow of the game. After this, I'm not sure I can go back to the old FF battle formula. Excellent...and most of all, fun.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ran into a problem last night, I'm about ~20 hours into the game, and I'm having trouble fighting a wall.

Highlight below (possible spoilers):
    Quote Originally Posted by spoilers
    I'm fighting a demon wall, right after getting into the king's tomb to get the whatever-it-is to prove Ashe's lineage. There's a demon wall that attacks us.

I know I can run from it, but the guidebook says that there's some type of great sword hidden in the area if I beat him. I tried fighting him last night and he kicked my ass! I only got him to about 3/4 HP when I ran out of time.

Even if I do run from him, there's another one inside the building I'm fighting outside, so if I can't beat this one, is there any chance of beating the next one? Help!
    Also, how do you use Quickenings? I've got Red Spiral and can't figure out how to work the thing. I've tried it 3 times, first time it did ~990 DMG, next time it did 100, then the third time it was about 1200.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To clarify for those who haven't played this game: This is not an "action rpg", it's not a "hack-n-slash" type battle scheme. The battle system is still turn based.
    The battle system reminds me a lot of Star Wars : Kotor. It's turn-based, but you can input your commands in real-time and you can move your character during combat. You also play with a "main" character while the others are controlled by AI.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quickenings:

Let's say everyone in your party has a quickening learned. You attack an enemy and use Vaan's quickening. You'll see the cutscene as Vaan performs his quickening, and on that screen will be a list of every who is in your party and the quickening they have equipped. If they have the mana to use the quickening, you'll see a button or button combination that you can press in order to have them use their quickening after Vaan uses his. So you use Vaan's, then press triangle (or whatever it turns out to be) which activates Basch's, and then you press square to activate Fran's.

Now everyone is out of mana and you shouldn't be able to continue, however, you can. Everytime you press r2 the list of quickenings refreshes, and there is a decent chance that an option called "MP Charge" will appear next to a party member's name who is currently out of mana. Pressing the corresponding button will allow you to recharge that player's mana and use their quickening again, thus allowing you to acheive greater combos and deal massive damage.

On top of that, chaining a certain amount of quickenings together (I believe the minimum is 3) you will engage in a bonus attack adding even more damage to your already brutal attack.

This is all in the manual btw, ^.^

[xxx)==

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ran into a problem last night, I'm about ~20 hours into the game, and I'm having trouble fighting a wall.
    The short answer -- come back later. I skipped that part the first time, and when I came back (with all of my characters at level 27-28), the fight was much easier. Having 3 level 2 quickenings helped a lot too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did what you recommended, just ran. The other wall was much, much easier!

I fought a battle last night that almost made me throw the controller (spoilers below):

Quote Originally Posted by spoilers
    I fought Vossler, and wanted to throw my ps2 out the window. He was so hard! When I controlled him, he had like, 700 HP, my first attack in the battle did ~8000 HP damage and it only took off half his HP! I got him to 1/10th HP then he went nuts and killed everyone. Literally. Everyone.

I redid the battle and just summoned the esper I had just acquired, and it was easy as pie.
    Now I'm back at Rabanastre, I think I'm just going to level up, some of my character are level ~20, and a few are level 9 . I think I'll just work at making them more equal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG, I do like this game, but I had to turn it off after playing for ~30 min tonight.

I was in the Gaza Plains fighting some hyenas and big toads, then out of nowhere a thunder elemental floats through. I did not attack it, it attacked us on its own.

My highest character has ~800 HP. The elemental hits all 3 characters in succession for 999 HP and kills them all. I reform my party with the other three trying to just run for it and BAM, does it again. There is nothing I could do.

Why do they stick such hard enemies where they don't belong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

OMG, I do like this game, but I had to turn it off after playing for ~30 min tonight.

I was in the Gaza Plains fighting some hyenas and big toads, then out of nowhere a thunder elemental floats through. I did not attack it, it attacked us on its own.

My highest character has ~800 HP. The elemental hits all 3 characters in succession for 999 HP and kills them all. I reform my party with the other three trying to just run for it and BAM, does it again. There is nothing I could do.

Why do they stick such hard enemies where they don't belong?
    The elementals only attack if you cast a spell within range of them. Even if it's cure, it doesn't matter. If it's close and you're casting, it'll kill you.

I just got the second esper (storyline one anyways), man I raped it with quickenings, and then raped the boss after it with quickenings too... the second boss guy took 12,000 damage from one quickening, haha.