Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Emulation vs. "The Real Thing"

Sure, this topic has been discussed a million times, but it's recently come up again at the Yahoo Classic Video Games Group and I'd like someone else to answer it for a change!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classi...es/message/163

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I'm about half and half. There's something to be said for hooking up an old system to the tv, but on the other hand it sure as hell is convenient to just click a few times and plug in my ps1~usb adapter and go at it. With emulation, in some cases, come improvements. I love the "painted" look my zSNES is able to achieve for a lot of games, and I know I would never get this sharpness or clarity out of a TV. Online play is awesome as well, since I can open up my emulator and play some Contra with a friend 30 minutes, or even 3000 miles away. Plus I don't have to worry about faulty hardware and controllers (which do happen from time to time, as a side effect of aging electronics). Of course, having actual cartridges lined up on a shelf looks really nice and braggable, but at the end of the day, it's all about how much fun you have while PLAYING THE GAME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I posted to that board just now. I am drm_stgeorge (based on my name and the name of a super hero character I created for a RPG user group) on Yahoo.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, it's more about the hardware than the games when it comes to authenticity. If you can duplicate the hardware feel with an emulator, fine, go with it. If you can't duplicate the feel of the 2600 joystick, the NES controller, the arcade control panel... then, IMO, you've lost half the experience.

In a nutshell: Console games, originals. Arcade games, MAME with real arcade controls.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I play all the cart based systems (and Sega CD now) on emulation only, for three reasons:

1) I still have the original controllers for most of them with connectors for my system.

2) The quality is better then I could get with the system -- 19 inch monitor, surrond sound system, online play with friends, and homebrews of games.

3) Save States. Enough said.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Im split between the 2. I like to play some games on mame that can be played with my "Interact propad6". But as everyone knows, a lot of those arcade games need the actual controls to get the right feel. I wish I had all those games as real arcade machines. I only have what Im going to play, so that would make a nice home arcade

As for console Emul's, I dont mess with them. I like to have the actual hardware in front of me so I can play it on my 27inch Sony.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

I perfer the hardware as well. It's like collecting coins or bills, coins just feel better in my hand.

On another note, i have never seen anyone get excited on an old-school trip when i pulled out some roms on a disk.

Now when i pull out my old Atari or something to someone that hasn't seen it in years, you bet they are remembering the gold old times! and wanting to play it and possibly get one again.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My real problem with emulation is that games don't look the same. They're not designed for the resolution of my PC monitor, so they come off looking all bleah. Real thing all the way baby!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These days, it's apples and oranges really.. But I'll say it again: The real thing is best, emulation is convenient.

I really do like playing all sorts of Neo Geo, 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision and arcade games in one convenient Xbox. However, as long as you are aware of WHERE IT FALLS SHORT. i.e. playing Intellivision Baseball on an Xbox controller, or probably the worst traits (hardware differences aside) are the little things that would be hard to catch by someone without knowing. i.e. stuff like garbled/missing sounds, different colors, missing/garbled graphic effects, speed, etc. If you're not aware of those.. you could just accept it "as is" and never realize the original was NOT like that.

Of course most of us here DO know however. So what's the point of emus? Like I said convenience. If I get a hankering for 2600 Tapper or Atari 400/800 Donkey Kong, it's a little easier to play it on my Xbox (or pc) that's already out, vs. breaking out the 2600 or Atari 8-bit, it's controllers, and looking for that particular cart. If I want to show it to someone or really want to play it as it was, of course I WILL do that. But in a pinch, the emu wins especially if it's just for myself. (not to mention it saves wear and tear on my old ass carts and controllers ). It's really on a case by case basis. For 2600 Space Invaders and several other games, the xbox controller works great. For several other game (like paddle games, or even joystick games like H.E.R.O) the pad is a poor substitute. It really depends. You take it in stride knowing you can always play the original if you want.

Where emu's really sort of blow though is in Arcade games (especially pre 1984 arcade games).. even if you have the right controller.. you're always going to be missing out as lot of the older machines had dedicated hardware. How can you reproduce the ghostly mirage image of a mirrored monitor? How can you reproduce the vector brightness without a vector monitor (i.e. the shots in Asteroids). How can you get the deep bass and reverberation as it echoes throughout a wooden cabinet in a Space Invader machine. Simple.. YOU CANT :P

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sound

I prefer to play my MD and NES rather than the equivalent emulators .. the sound emulation is imperfect. The pitch is a tiny bit off on the music, and the FM in the background doesn't sound quite right. The game's music jumps out at me in a nostalgic sense when I hear it from a TV, on the real hardware. It doesn't do that on an emulator.
    - Epicenter

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to MAME nothing beats an Arcade cabinet with an arcade monitor and some tweaked video drivers. It looks and feels the same.

*sighs lovingly while thinking beautiful thoughts about MAME*

As for NES emulators and all that blah; well... Hey what's That!?

*runs away*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like emu's for the games that I particularly dont play that often or possibly havent heard of. If I read some postings or hear about a game I had never played, I like the fact that I can easily get it and try it out. If after playing it I find that I like it, I can always try to get it for my collection.
    I consider myself a player who also likes to collect. With emus I dont have to waste money to find out that I dont like a game.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfluke
    When it comes to MAME nothing beats an Arcade cabinet with an arcade monitor and some tweaked video drivers. It looks and feels the same.
    Yes there is. An arcade cabinet with an arcade monitor and an ArcadeVGA card. Much, much easier and works far, far more reliably.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfluke
    Lots of times it doesn't. I will once again pull out my oft-used (yes yes I use this all the time.. i know ) Space Invaders dlx pics.

It's one of the simplest games around. You're telling me it looks the same in a mame cab? I think not Unless of course you snag yourself one of those cardboard backgrounds, light it up nicely and got the image to display itself in a holographic way over it :P

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i stumbled onto console emulation not to long ago and after messing around with it I decided i'd much rather have the real deal, so I started collecting genesis, then snes and so on.

I still use console emulators to archive the games I own and to 'demo' games I want to buy or to see what the buzz is all about after reading a review at 'shmups' or a topic here in this forum or elsewhere. And since I collect japanese games I use it to determine the playability of a foreign language game before I commit to buying.

When I do play a game on a console emulator I usually play a level of two but never the whole game because I'd much rather save the experience for when I own the game and can play it on my console at my tv.

Now in the case of mame I do play a few choice games from time to time and I will most likely have a few installed in my home mame cab along with the games that I actually own because the probabilty of me owning some rad as hell obsure arcade shmup or beat em' up is very low at the moment.

But to be honest, roms are etherware and I'd much rather own a real tangible piece of software (cart, cd, whatever) and then play it on an emu if no real hardware is available.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Yes there is. An arcade cabinet with an arcade monitor and an ArcadeVGA card. Much, much easier and works far, far more reliably.
    Well yeah, but the end result is the same. Arcade action on an arcade monitor. but thanks for playing!

@NE146 - I agree with you, cabinets do make a big difference. Frogger's a lot more fun on my cocktail cabinet than it is on my upright. But for the most part, my MAME cabinet makes me happy. Just as you said, when it gets right down to it, the original can't be beat, but for convenience, Robotron on my cabinet is a lot closer and cheaper than robotron at the arcade.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like both i like the real thing because yeah u can collect them and all but i like emulators because if i wanna just keep the game sealed and unplayed but i still wanna try it all i gotta do is get emulators and roms and TA DA i could play the game without ripping up the box and also the save state is pretty cool (im a slow reader) so sometimes i gotta load state 1000 to read stories that go too fast also i like the way u can take screenshots record movies or record wavs theres all sorts of shit u can do on emus but it will never worth as much as the real copy so yeah.
    Steel Wraps Your Face, Blood Soaks The Steel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I'm highly pro-emulation. The main reason is that I lack the proper amount of cash to get all of what I want. Hey, I'm unemployed, so that's to be expected. It's not quite the real thing, but emulation is close enough for me. Emulators will do until I end up owning the real thing, and even then, I go back to Castlevania on the FCE Ultra emulator just because I'm too lazy to fire up the NES. The other main reason is that regarding MAME, I'm able to play many games that have not been ported to a home console, or if they have, then the translation sucks badly. Overall, I'm more of a gamer than a collector, so if I have to play the original arcade Rastan on my computer, I'm not adverse to that.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm anti emulation. I consider emulation to be, like eBay, a necessary evil. It is great for:

-screenshots
    -'try before you buy'
    -convenience
    -playing 'super-rares' that you will never see.

My biggest problem with emulation is SAVE STATES. I hate those. It's like playing a PC strategy game where you can save every 30 seconds. Where's the challenge? Beating ANY game with save states is a foregone conclusion. I like challenging games that take skill, not just time, to beat. With save states it is simply a matter of time.

For me, it's gotta be the real thing.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Emulation got me into snes gaming, big time. In general, though, I only put significant play into games I own.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them