First of all, I'd like to thank Joe for givng me such a wonderful page to work with. The Bravenet URL isn't the tidiest, but his HTML certainly is!

Progress is being made. There are some items I'd like to highlight here.

0.) Hopes for the Links page
a.) Commercial exploitation of the Links page
b.) Dividing up the links page
c.) Dead sites, "live" links: only dead links will be tossed
d.) Thoughts for new categories (besides system names)
e.) Quality vs. Quantity (Please Comment!)

0.) I hope that our Links page will become a sort of miniature DMOZ.ORG, and while we hopefully won't try to list as many sites as that lizard, it certainly would be nice to have a place to "look first." I daresay that the regulars here know a bit more than Google about classic gaming! Right now I don't think I can say anybody really uses it religiously. I think this is one of the hidden potential strengths of Digital Press, big time.

a.) Something that's bugging me a bit about commercial sites being listed in the different sections...Let's look at the Classic Gaming Sites page--Click this if you ain't there already--and look at 3DO. What's the third entry? A commercial site.

Now I don't want to fling any accusations around, but it looks to me that a site supposedly about the 3DO should actually have 3DO listed somewhere on their site menu. No such luck. I feel strongly that a separate category called "Stores" should be created so we can get the Links page back to being about gaming sites, not commercial sites that know where to put their link. There is no way to prevent a commercial site from adding their link someplace it shouldn't be besides giving a warning and changing it afterwards, but I feel this is only just.

b.) Currently the Links page is roughly 280K--and that is not due to careless coding at all (there isn't a single extra comment in the HTML...nothing at all, it's beautifully done!) However, dividing up the page should work nicely in solving this.

Currently you can either scroll or use the menu on the top to warp down to an anchor (a heading, by another name) embedded in the page such as "CD-i."

I would keep the top bar with names of sections but replace the current page with just section names, and each section would have its own page (or share a page with similar items). Each page will retain the menu along the top that can take you to any other section (and maybe even have a hyperlink to take you back to the overview of all the selections).

c.) I'm still hunting through links. Unfortunately many sites listed are now dead or only shells of their former grandeur, with broken images and a community rivaled in size by the faintest of ghost towns. These still are a resource--if the link works, the site's good. If the link's broken, it's useless.

d.) Thoughts for new categories.

--Game Worship sites (could grow into needing a further breakdown really quickly)
--Stores (mentioned above)
--Game systems you want added to the links

e.) I think that it is important to stick to the well established and authoritative sites, at least near the top of the section. I also feel that a category "personal sites" would be damning a fair number of great sites to be never looked at, and if we start getting snobbish about what to let in we lose almost all the really detailed information that somebody has thrown in--but isn't that what the Game Discussion forum is for? Thoughts please!

Please remember that the Links page is going to be what you want it to be. My contribution here (eh) is simply trying to get a fire started where necessary. While I still have a backlog in the number of links for me to look through (and regretting all the ones I let slip through the cracks), please feel free once again to submit a number of sites or criticize anything happening here.