Thread: PS2 wireless hub/online adapter question, please help!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 wireless hub/online adapter question, please help!

OK, I want to get broadband down in my basement gameroom, I had the comcast guy here yesterday and he said the reason my digital cable works down there but broadband doesn't is because teh signal is too weak from being split too many times. (I had previously disconnected my computer and hauled it down there to test to see if broadband was coming in over that cable, and it wasn't)

He said the only way to get my PS2 online down there was to run a dedicated line. This will cost me big bucks to get a guy to come in and drill through walls and run sa cable throught he ceiling and whatnot. My other option is to go wireless. However, my home network (of 2 computers) is waaaaaaaaaaaay on the other side of the house and two floors up. It's currently running on a Linksys Etherfast cable/DSL router (I have broadband cable)

My question is, does anyone know if a wireless Linksys is going to be able to send the signal that far? Also, the PS2 online adaptor, how does it work, do you simply screw the broadband cable directly into it?

Thanks in advance for your advice guys 'n gals, I'm dying to get my PS2 online but I keep getting thwarted at every turn!

P.S. The URL below is the wireless hub I was pondering. Any comments?

http://tinyurl.com/vujv
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The USB router won't work; The PS/2's Broadband adapter only has an Ethernet port on it.

What you need is either THIS, or THIS. And a wireless router.

Quick Primer: There's two wireless versions out right now (well, 3, but two for our purposes). B and G. G is better than B but more expensive. It's also compatible with B. B is slower, but cheaper, AND it's all you need for your PS2, since the PS2 BB adapter is only 10mbps (B is 11mbps and G is 54).

So.

If you get a Wireless G Broadband Router, then you will be future proofed for awhile. And if you get one of the two Wireless Bridges (The technical name for the above products), then you will be set with what you need for your adapter as cheaply as possible. You don't have to buy a 802.11G adapter, you could get a 802.11B router, if you don't plan on using wireless for anything else. But the either of the two items above will be absolutely necesary. You don't have to get linksys, NetGear and Cisco (and even D-Link) will also work, but I would strongly suggest avoiding no-name brands.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The November 17th issue of Computer Shopper has a decent article and recommendations on wireless routers. If you have access to a fax machine I can fax it to you.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

i have an Ipod, and well it works through floors, across the house,and even can let my neighbor share my connection. there are some out there you can add external antennas as well.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

B is definitely all you need. Not only is the PS2 broadband connector 10mb, but your broadband cable connection is most likely 1.5mb, or slower.

If you do go wireless, make sure you lock everything down security wise. Where I place my wireless router in my house makes a difference on whether or not I can pick up the signal outside my house. You can lock your wireless down a little bit by finding the mac address of your PS2 and then limiting the wireless connection to just that address. It won't stop more experienced hackers, but as I told my wife, you have to be so close to our house to piggyback on our wireless that I would see people standing in my front yard with laptops.

For what it's worth, my PS2 is currently hooked to a router which eventually runs through a Windows 2000 server running Proxy Server, and it all works great. I haven't ever tried running it wireless, mainly because my PS2 is in my computer room.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

B and G run at 2.4 ghz , so if you use a portable phone at 2.4 ghz it will screw up your signal for your internet connection.

The new A wireless runs in the 5ghz band and doesn't have that problem.

Just some food for thought.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    B runs at 2.8 ghz , so if you use a portable phone at 2.8 ghz it will screw up your signal for your internet connection.

G runs at 5.6 ghz and nothing will interfere with that as of yet.

Just some food for thought.
    2.4ghz.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh yea that's what I said
    *quickly edits post*

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*me rubs brain*

Man I wish I understood this kind of stuff...

It would be ugly and I'd have a wire going across the center of my gameroom, but would it be easier to run a hard wire cable through my basement? Does the PS2 adapter have a cable connector on it?

Thanks for the help, BTW
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!