Thread: URU: Myst it ain't but...

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default URU: Myst it ain't but...

So I picked up URU and hunkered down to consume this newest addition to the Myst puzzle game line. Before I launch into this, allow me to preface it with this: I have played and beaten all 3 previous games sans walkthrough (though I did prod a forum or two for help once or twice) But most impressive about the hype for this game was the MMO Puzzle Game features it touted on the box. What's this? A chance to gloat about my wicked big brain in real time to the stuttering mongs who all were walking the Uru Live servers scratching their heads in confusion? Where do I sign.

I go through the interesting and extremely customizable avatar creation process (The one I made for Carmen looks just like her) and get ready to leap into an online world full of frustrating migraine inducing confoundedness to find:

The shit isn't up yet.

Still in beta, maybe I'll get invited to come and play, but I shouldn't hold my breath, but the website is filled with news stories about the fun time that all the jerky beta testers are having, cavorting with the game designers and getting new fleece vests for their avatars. I hate them, and hope they bleed to death rectally.

Sure that might be sour grapes talking, because I too want a digital fleecy vest for my avatar (who still sports the pony tail that I was forced to cut off to get a job). But seriously, if you're going to hype your uber puzzle game as having an online component, have the frikking servers up before you sell me the gotdammned disc.

Ubisoft, I hate you so much. I have hated you since I bought the Uber Collectors edition of Pool of Radiance. I even read that crap novel. I want hours back. Bah.

All of that said, URU is a great goddamn Myst game, it's pretty as hell to look at and the freeform running around surprisingly is less frustrating than the oldschool static screen jumps.

I just wanted to bitch is all.

SF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: URU: Myst it ain't but...

Bitch? Naw, I'd agree with all of that. Two questions, though...

Is that Carmen Sandiego you're talking about? :D

This PoR uber collector's edition...are you talking about the recent remake? Not positive, but wanted to be sure. I had fun with the Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition anyhow.

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ed,

1) My girl Carmen who can be seen in the pics of the latest NJ Classic.

2) No, I love the goldbox SSI games, they rock hard. No, alas I mean that shittastic remake, you know... the ones Ubisoft was responsible for.

SF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unfortuanately I have no Goldbox SSI games (I saw an original PoR -- sealed -- a year ago on eBay, wish I'd had the $15 or whatever it was going for!) and I'd really like to pick up that limited edition package (numbered, I think some ridiculously small amount like 1000 were made).

Other than that...I've got to say that Uru looks really good.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good to hear feedback, I almost went out and bought it like a chump, lol, j/k. Somehow URU slipped under my radar, never read anything on it. So is the non-online portion of it worthwhile?

~Tj
    must... collect more.... 7800......help