Thread: Neo Geo buying advice

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo Geo buying advice

well I think neo geo is going to be my next system and I wanted to get a "second opinion" before I bought anything.

First, pricing. What would you say is an acceptible price for a home unit or an old arcade cabnet

2nd, advice on which unit to go with (I'm pretty handy working on arcade machines but I was more concerned about game availibility and pricing).

thanks
    Tj
    must... collect more.... 7800......help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Neo Geo buying advice

If you've got space for a Neo Geo MVS, go with it.

Try to get a good deal on an MVS cab, but you're pretty much at the mercy of the local arcade folks. No sense buying a MVS cab on the cheap if it's two states away, 'cuz they're heavy things.

AES is expensive, and I hate cutting up systems to add S-Video and stereo sound. Besides that, newer models have had the video circuitry fiddled with to get more vibrant colors...unfortunately it affects video quality overall. AES carts are very expensive, too. Metal Slug games? Out of the question. $2-300 minimum, and MS-1 is going to cost you at least $1000 (I'm not sure that's a current figure anymore, either).

MVS carts are cheaply found. Plus, you get a proper setup (no balancing flat-bottom joysticks on your knees), a good monitor, sound.

One for the "what the hell" category: Neo Geo MVS Hotel Systems. Pretty much Japan only (unless you buy one of the two or so US systems in existence, though this would've been possible had you been around when the eBay auction for one was current) but the region really shouldn't be a big deal (bouncy + boobs = good). These are more or less the same size as a decent sized Compaq Proliant rack server, and I'm betting are nearly as heavy, but that's all based off the picture I've seen. You could get one from Japan, but it must be shipped by boat. Absolutely must.

How's that for a "crazy third option" ? :D

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have the room, go arcade MVS, games are tons cheaper, I went AES, but only cause I collect home systems and I didn't have room for an arcade cab.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not saying this to be mean, but I suggest you do a search on this subject. There seems to be a thread on this very thing about once every two weeks...you'll find plenty of good information from us in those threads....good luck

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstarhero
    I'm not saying this to be mean, but I suggest you do a search on this subject. There seems to be a thread on this very thing about once every two weeks...you'll find plenty of good information from us in those threads....good luck
    Gunstar speaks the truth. This topic is an evergreen.

To get you started...

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...hlight=neo+geo

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...hlight=neo+geo

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, I know, I'm guilty. I've done all the reading and my head is still swimming thats why I asked.

The one question thats burning me that I cant get a straight answer, is what would be a reasonable price to pay for a 1-slot cabnet? I know there are alot of little factors but I'm looking at a timeframe of in the next 6 months so I'd like a figure to use as a water-line so I dont just go and snatch up the first thing I see.

thanks guys
    Tj

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bensenvill

Yup, I know, I'm guilty. I've done all the reading and my head is still swimming thats why I asked.

The one question thats burning me that I cant get a straight answer, is what would be a reasonable price to pay for a 1-slot cabnet? I know there are alot of little factors but I'm looking at a timeframe of in the next 6 months so I'd like a figure to use as a water-line so I dont just go and snatch up the first thing I see.

thanks guys
    Tj
    I can't say. For me, I would probably pay as much as $400 for a clean 1 slot, clean cab, with a perfect monitor, because Neo Geo cabs are nonexistent in my area. If I saw one in any arcade around here I would make a good offer.I would offer more if it had games and more slots of course. No matter what you pay, you'll get some dickhead on the internet to tell you that you overpayed, or you got ripped off....in the end its worth it if you are happy with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

The reason you con't get a straight answer is there isn't one. Because full cabs can't be transported as easily as a console or just a board, price becomes a much more regional thing. I'm in Indiana and I've seen one slots go from $65 (one that needed a new monitor or serious adjustment) to the high $200s. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a one slot becuase where I am geographcally I shouldn't have to and 1 slots are generally less popular among operators.

There's no price guid for arcade collecting and probably never will be because there's just so many factors involved.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    The reason you con't get a straight answer is there isn't one. Because full cabs can't be transported as easily as a console or just a board, price becomes a much more regional thing. I'm in Indiana and I've seen one slots go from $65 (one that needed a new monitor or serious adjustment) to the high $200s. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a one slot becuase where I am geographcally I shouldn't have to and 1 slots are generally less popular among operators.

There's no price guid for arcade collecting and probably never will be because there's just so many factors involved.
    awsome, I know I had to pry that out of you, but you answered my question, thanks. I'm from chicago, I've never purchased a cab before but I know they arent in short supply here. If I see one for 200 it'll be in my car but even if its 400, I'd be real tempted.

thanks guys
    Tj

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While we are on the subject, what are the downsides of buying a Japanese Neo Geo AES? I don't really care about the games being in Japanese. Why else would the US AES system be a better purchase? It plays the same games, right? I also believe there is no censorship on the Japanese games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate
    While we are on the subject, what are the downsides of buying a Japanese Neo Geo AES? I don't really care about the games being in Japanese. Why else would the US AES system be a better purchase? It plays the same games, right? I also believe there is no censorship on the Japanese games.
    Your system determines the language displays of your games except mahjong and quiz games (Japanese only), newer games will give you the option of langauge display so it'll not be an issue.

While getting Japanese AES is cool, no censorship on Mai's bouncy chests and blood on fighters, if you're into early Neo-Geo games, the system will display Jp ONLY regardless of the version of the AES carts. On the other hand, US system will be censored even if you put Jp carts in it.

Vince

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bensenvill
    awsome, I know I had to pry that out of you, but you answered my question, thanks.
    Wasn't trying to be difficult, but I fully acknowledge I've grown a bit jaded with some topics that keep poping up. Sorry, but best of luck in your quest.