Thread: Item condition: Opinions needed

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Item condition: Opinions needed

Forgive the lengthy rundown (you know me, I can't seem to write a short post to save my life).

Okay, I've been buying and selling on ebay for a while now and for the most part I've had few problems, however recently I won an auction for a boxed SNES game which has arrived in non-too good condition.

Basically, I paid immediately with Paypal and as always placed a message in the notes requesting the seller to make sure the game was adequately packaged (postage cost was above average). The auction description itself descibed everything included fairly adequately (although on hindsight doesn't make specific mention of the box condition - it's a little ambiguous in that respect).

Well, basically got the game and the box is in a bad way, apart from being somewhat poorly packaged (a piece of thin corrogated card wrapped around it and then mummified in duct tape), one half of the box has been crushed in the post and the side of the box has two notable tears which would seem to have occurred before postage.

The picture included in the auction wasn't great but it was shot from directly above the game thus not revealing the damage to the side of the box.

Whereas the additional items included with the game are fine and some of them aren't all that easy to get in the UK (it's a promotional release, thus included a few extras not given away with the more common standard release), the box itself was part of what made the item for collection purposes and is pretty badly beaten.

The dilemma is, do I make an issue of this or just accept the hit (total auction cost just under £12 inc p&p)?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ask for a partial refund.
    Since you paid with pay-pal the seller can send a little bit back your way. And he should for being deceitful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

his @ss.

Ask for your money back in paypal, stating that the item receivd was considerably different than the one advertised!!!

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly
    his @ss.

Ask for your money back in paypal, stating that the item receivd was considerably different than the one advertised!!!
    Nah.....Don't do that until you talk to him and try to work it out.
    To many people do that already and it should only be a last resort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly
    his @ss.

Just out of curiosity, how does Paypal verify this kind of claim?

Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Quote Originally Posted by Griking

Just out of curiosity, how does Paypal verify this kind of claim?
    They don't, and there isn't shit you can do about it. At least that's how it was 2 or so years ago. I bought some stuff that was stated as being in great shape. I got it, and it was mostly in fair to decent shape. I contacted eBay, PayPal, and even my Credit Card company. eBay and PayPal wouldn't do anything unless it was apples to oranges. I got what was listed, so that was the end of it. I think you'd have to have received an f'n pet rock for that to be even partially considered apples to oranges with those guys. My credit card company really looked into it, but they really couldn't do anything either since I did receive the stuff, varying conditon opinions aside.

I did ask the guy for a partial refund, but he wasn't keen on the idea... so I persued those other avenues aforementioned and they didn't yield me any gain. Maybe they caused him a pain in the ass though.

I'd be real super nice to the seller and ask for a partial refund. I'd just ask for something a little above modest, in case he jacks your request down. Otherwise I think you'll just have to bite the bullet on this one.

That always sucks when you get shitty crap instead of what you hoped, hey?

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you paid your dues, Jack? The check is in the mail!
    Sorry to go off topic, but LazingBlazers is now my new hero, as "Big Trouble in Little China" is the best movie ever created.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure about the partial refund idea, I've never really considered that option but thinking about it from a seller's point of view it may seem like I'm trying to scam the guy.

Certainly if I were to do anything I'd go the route of at least trying to talk it through with the guy first, I know that when I sell stuff on ebay I certainly wouldn't be best pleased if someone immediately set the paypal dogs loose without at least contacting me first.

Then there's the potential hassle and retaliatory neg shennanigans.. bugger.

Thanks for the opinions, much appreciated.