Thread: WonderSwan: Who has, likes, hates, recommends, etc etc etc?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default WonderSwan: Who has, likes, hates, recommends, etc etc etc?

The topic started up when someone hijacked a buy and sell forum thread, so I thought I'd kick it off all official-like over here.

Who has a WonderSwan, the handheld Bandai game system? What do you think of it? Do you have the B/W or color version? What games do you like?

Discuss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I have a Wonderswan Color, and it is a marvelous little machine. It's even replaced the Neo-Geo Pocket Color as "favorite cult handheld" in my book. Any handheld that can last for 20 hours on 1 AA battery is a friend of mine.

It's VERY well loved in Japan, both by consumers and software developers. Here's a sample of the titles you can get for this thing:

Ghosts & Goblins, Rockman & Forte, Beatmania, Final Lap, Crazy Climber, Golden Axe, Guilty Gear, Pocket Fighter, Space Invaders, Final Fantasy 1-4, Chocobo's Dungeon, Arc the Lad, King's Knight, Mr. Driller, and a lot more that I'm probably forgetting.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

So what would you consider the "A" titles?

I have Final Fantasy II (which I bought more or less for the packaging, it's all in Japanese) and Mr. Driller (which is pretty neat but missing that time attack mode). I really want Crazy Climber.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must include Xi Little. It's a portable version of Devil Dice; very fun on the go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I haven't played many games, just read about them. My collection consists of:

New Japan Pro Wrestling - The cheapest WS game you can get. It's an old, arcade-style wrestling game, like NES Pro Wrestling.

Turntablists: DJ Battle - You use the Wonderswan's 2 D-pads as turntables! This may be a niche title, but I LOVE it.

Mr. Driller - Yep. Fun, but no Time Attack.

A-titles? I've heard great things about Pocket Fighter, and how close the gameplay is to the excellent Capcom game. Speaking of excellent Capcom games, Ghosts & Goblins is supposed to be arcade-perfect, except for the fact that it's in black & white. ^_^ Golden Axe looks like a perfect port too, I'll take it over that recently-released GBA Smash Pack any day. And finally, Guilty Gear Petit apparently rocks if you're a fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Crazy Climber

Crazy Climber,Crazy Climber,Crazy Climber,Crazy Climber and Crazy Climber.

It's a perfect system for it with the controls.

To be ashamed and honest, despite my admiration for all who could play the game, I never got the hang of it until I got it on WS. It's a perfect controller set for the game with a nice sideways/long format. It's worth $20 or whatever you have to pay.

And BTW, the best source for many of the games is eBay. Most often less than retail, since the retail situation is a gauging situation.

Anyone play Wizardy for the system yet? I'm dying to know if I could play it without any knowledge of Japanese- and enjoy it.

I recommend WS. Anyone check out the newest incarnation- is it WS Crystal or something?

-Thread Hijacker

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

Hey, heres a way to revive an old thread, I picked up one of these today at a thrift for $5.99

It is a Wonderswan (just b & w)

It had a game with it that is completely in Japanese, I don't even know what the title is.

It has a part # SWJ-BAN002

I'll try playing with it a bit and see if I can figure out whats going on.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I borrowed one from a friend, and thought it was rather underwhelming. It's not game.com bad, but then again, what is?

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

Ok the game I have is apparently some kind of chokobo game from Square.

Still have no idea whats going on since its all Japanese, but from what I've seen of the Hardware, I kind of like it.

30 hours off of 1 AA battery!

No matter what I can't kick with paying 5.99$ Canadian for it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a monochrome WonderSwan, will get a crystal version sometime. Gunpey (the first one with a wild west theme) is a must and so is Engacho. From what I've heard Klonoa is also very good.

BTW, if you have a wonderswan you really need to get the earphone adapter since the internal speaker is rather weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    Speaking of excellent Capcom games, Ghosts & Goblins is supposed to be arcade-perfect, except for the fact that it's in black & white. ^_^
    Ghost n goblins is fun but it's not arcade-perfect because it's a new game rather than a straight conversion. It plays like a cross between Ghost n goblins and Ghouls n ghosts. Some levels use the vertical mode and it also has a few branching paths so you wont see all levels on one playthrough. HERE is an mp3 from the game featuring the GnG (and the map) theme.

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    Anyone play Wizardy for the system yet? I'm dying to know if I could play it without any knowledge of Japanese- and enjoy it.
    Yes you can, it has options for english text. In fact most of the japanese Wizardry ports (like the ones on gameboy color) have that feature.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I've been waiting to buy one ever since I heard of a SLIGHT possibility of Bandai bringing it to the US to compete with the GBC. Of course it never happened, and never will (unless it does, then I'll be happy ), and I have no idea of where to go and buy one (I don't trust auction sites at all...).

It looked really cool, but I've yet to play it for myself.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, the system was dropped eariler this year, so I don't think any more games are coming out for it.

I've heard stories that FF3 was remade just lik the first two and was ready to be released save for how badly the system was doing. Can anyone confirm that?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Speaking of excellent Capcom games, Ghosts & Goblins is supposed to be arcade-perfect, except for the fact that it's in black & white.
    Yashiro, I'm ashamed. Haven't looked at that section of the Ghoul Realm much, have you? :P

Seriously, Makaimura For Wonderswan (the full title of the game) is quite good. Having only played it on an emulator, I can't tell you for certain how it is on the actual WS, but I can tell you this - it's not a port of any previous G'NG game, but rather an all new one that uses all sorts of stuff from the earlier games, plus adds a lot of exclusive stuff to that version. The bosses are completely new, for instance.

You can check it out here - http://www.geocities.com/theghoulrealm/gngmfw.html - and if you want to play it, I do have the ROM available in the Emulation section of the site. You'll have to go elsewhere for an emulator, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

never played it, but im planning to buy a swan crystal, is there aby diffrence really??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    Speaking of excellent Capcom games, Ghosts & Goblins is supposed to be arcade-perfect, except for the fact that it's in black & white.
    Yashiro, I'm ashamed. Haven't looked at that section of the Ghoul Realm much, have you? :P
    Oh hush. That post is almost a year old. ^_^

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Yeah, I know. ^_~

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Re: Crazy Climber

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid

-Thread Hijacker
    I don't know if you have picked the game up but I am allmost 100% certain the Wonderswan Wizardry's have an english menu option. The Wonderswan versions were published by the same company who did the GBC versions. I have all 3 and they play in English.

I have a Wonderswan crystal arriving soon..I hope. I want Front Mission for it. Its a cool Squaresoft strategy/rpg with mechs and english menu's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I've heard stories that FF3 was remade just lik the first two and was ready to be released save for how badly the system was doing. Can anyone confirm that?
    I thought both the FF3 and FF4 remake had been released.

How does Rockman & Forte compare to the GBA version?
    ________
    AMATEUR STREAM
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:51 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The sad fact is, the Wonderswan version of Rockman and Forte DOESN'T compare to the original on the Super NES. It's a completely different game, and not a very good one. The bosses are stupid (I mean, really, Compassman?!), the level design is wretched, and the blurring is enough to give you a headache. Some rounds are nearly impossible to play because they blur so much. As for the round design, well, let me give you an example of what I'm talking about. In a section of one stage, the screen doesn't scroll; you walk from the right side of one screen and appear on the left side of the next. Wouldn't you know it, the designers put a Met immediately on the left side of one of the screens, all but guaranteeing that you'll run into it and be pushed BACK to the previous screen. Very frustrating, and very idiotic.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: WonderSwan: Who has, likes, hates, recommends, etc etc e

Hmm, didn't know about Rockman and Forte. Then again, I've never played through a MegaMan game (not even through a whole level) and I've never seriously considered collecting those. I'm not surprised it did badly, though; the original WonderSwans with their B&W screen are...dumb.

Chocobo Dungeon seems to be pretty rare now, though that's just looking at the price/availability from my one source.

Namco Wars: haven't played it, but it looks like something to get. An RPG, to be sure, but I think there's a good bit of smashing to be done in it.