Thread: Atari 2600 in store demo unit

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 2600 in store demo unit

Hey guys, a friend of mind is selling me an in store atari 2600 demo unit with 40 test games, installed, I wish I had a pick to show you guys (will post one when I pick it up), it's really big, has 2 built in controllers, built in paddles, 40 individuals games selectable with buttons, I know someone on this site owns one as I have seen them post a picture of it, it's in fairly good shape for it's age, I'm paying 225, I'm just curious what everyone thinks is a fair price for this unit (assuming they have seen one before and knows what it is.) Anyways, I'm pretty stolked to be getting it, should be picking it up on wendesday, thoughts/sugggestions would be appreciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I can't offer you any suggestions on price other than that I would personally gladly pay what you're paying for this one! Your description sounds familiar, like the one they had in my local K-Mart circa 1982. It's funny. I had a 2600 at home but I would still walk over to K-Mart every day during the summer to play their machine (they had 40 games versus my paltry 5, natch). To this day I can't walk into a K-Mart without half imagining I'm going to come around a corner and find one of those things still sitting there. Good times. Good times.

Good score, man. Please post pics when you get it. And if you ever want to trade, I have many fine organs and limbs on the right side of the body you should consider in exchange.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I believe Mr. Bubik owns one of these (Goodwill Hunter). You met him at Sean's in September. Sounds like a great price for the unit IMO, this is only the second one I've heard of acquired in the last ten years.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Might this be it?

OR

The people that live across the street from me have one of these, I think. At least they did a while back. I hope they haven't disposed of it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hehe, no it's not quite that large, more of a tabletop unit, I believe Joe is right on, I think junglehunter owns the exact unit I'm getting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Might this be it?

[Pics]

The people that live across the street from me have one of these, I think. At least they did a while back. I hope they haven't disposed of it.

THAR SHE BLOWS! MY WHITE WHALE! GAGGHHHH!

Left side...numb...somebody call...ambulance

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked it up today and took some pics, it is working and plays great, I hate to sell off this baby but unfortunately it needs to move, and fast, I'm 19 still living at home, transfering to UCLA college next year, will probably have to liquidate my entire video game collection to make it through law school, anyhow, I am taking offers but I'll probably just e-bay it due to high shipping costs although I would LOVE for a DP member to get ahold of it if I got a descent offer, here are the pics

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange, when I click on these links it open a new window, but not the picture. It will show this topic again.

When I copy the link it will work.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had quite a few people complain about the pics, can someone advise me as to why there is this problem.. possibly the free webserver? All pics work great for me, are they working for anyone else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

They work if you go to the website first, and then paste the links to the picture. It's a trick so that you can't link to pictures from external sites.

Edit: So all those games are already in it? Can games be added/removed? What kind of price are you looking for? Does it just hook to a normal television?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It just hooks to a normal tv just like an atari 2600 would, you use a normal TV gameswitch or new style rf connection, the system has a saudered in power supply and so it just plugs in normally, very easy connection, all 40 games are built in on a motherboard, games cannot be added or removed, the best offer thus far has been 500, right now I'm taking offers, thanks

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Classicgamesdepot
    hehe, no it's not quite that large, more of a tabletop unit, I believe Joe is right on, I think junglehunter owns the exact unit I'm getting
    Seems you have the same Sears version as I do (so much for having a one-of-a-kind!). Picked mine up at a Milwaukee flea for $95.00 from a guy who had had it in his basement for his kids to play with. The empty slot on the cover (position 44 if I remember correctly) should actually hold the chip for Stellar Track, giving you all 3 Sears-only titles, in addition to the 42 games that came with the standard Atari 2600 POP (Point-of-Purchase) units.

Here's a pic of mine with a few of the menu screens:

Congrats on the find! I've had offers as high as $700.00, but I'm not planning to sell anytime soon. Someday I'll have the room to display it properly. Here's what it looks like on the inside:

"Jungle Hunter"!?!?

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A noticed there is a cartridge slot. Can you insert a cart and then access it somehow via the menu?
    Load "*",8,1

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevates
    A noticed there is a cartridge slot. Can you insert a cart and then access it somehow via the menu?
    Never tried that...I only had the PCB out when I first got it and cleaned it (you have to take the top panel off to access the board). I think this is the same board used in the Atari demo console pictured above. That model had a 2600 (shell?) mounted between the demo controllers, allowing any game to be played I would imagine. That's my guess what that cart slot was used for, basically a pass through to the deck or shell mounted above in that version of the VCS POP...anyone know for sure?

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GH, You definitly took some nice pics of it, I was waiting for a post from you after reading the one of a kind thread hehe, It is a great piece of gaming history and i'll be happy to be able to say that I did own it even after I sell it, I'm really tight for room right now so It does have to go, I really want it to go to a dp member, but I might end up e-baying it because I have really only had a few serious offers and only one of them has been reasonable, I figure it would bring about 800 on e-bay (considering the buyer would be paying all shipping costs) but I would do a local pickup for 650 if someone could save me the hassle, (IRVINE, CA)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh yea haha, sorry about the "Jungle" hunter typo, I'll blame my lack of sleep on that

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sold! It was fun while it lasted, for the lucky buyer of this unit and Goodwill Hunter, I'll pray for you guys no more of these units every shope up again.. that is of course unless I find one hehe, imagine what a working unit like this would bring in 20 years ago, that would be way vintage