Thread: What is wrong with the 2600 Connection...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is wrong with the 2600 Connection...

I know I am going to get hate messages for this but...

As a former subscriber I need to speak my mind. But where to begin lets try the lastness of the issues. When I dropped mine the last 2 issues came 4 then 5 months apart. At one time I though Russ Perry dropped it all, then it came and knew he hadn't. But still this lastness of issues is getting just plain crazy. I learned recently from the message boards at Atari Age at least 1 subscriber waited 10 months. But still he insists on keeping that by mothly banner I can't remember the last time that happend. I once suggested to him to stop that, it would put less pressure on himself, but not he told me it would continue.

The quality; I admit when Tim Duarte was running things the quality was always first rate. Information in each and every single issue was always up to date. Okay I'll give you when Russ took over at first the quality was a bit shakie but he did manage to build it back up. But the last 2 or 3 years he had missed so much. The lastest computer software which contained classic titles. The homebuilts like the Cuttlecart which I did not even know about
    until I joined this forum and there are hundreds of other things which I have either heard or read about in magazines or on this or other classic gamer sites.
    I am sorry but as the old saying goes your a day late and a dollar short.

The big problem I see that Russ Perry assumes way to much. Biggest example I could give is the playbin software which as a Starpath owner I wished I knew about for I am not paying someone $50 for what I could do myself practially for free.

I wish I wasn't saying this but given all that has happend in recent years maybe it is time for the 2600 Connection to have a new editor or give that classic game newsletter a decent burial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What is wrong with the 2600 Connection...

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Gamer
    I know I am going to get hate messages for this but...
    Edwin... I hope you won't consider this a hate message, but I have to respond...

As a former subscriber I need to speak my mind. But where to begin lets try the lastness of the issues. When I dropped mine the last 2 issues came 4 then 5 months apart. At one time I though Russ Perry dropped it all, then it came and knew he hadn't. But still this lastness of issues is getting just plain crazy.
    You're right, and I apologize. I'd make excuses, but what would be the point. I dropped the ball. I'm still dropping it (though #75 will be going out Tuesday morning). I'm sorry.

I learned recently from the message boards at Atari Age at least 1 subscriber waited 10 months.
    For a subscription to start, I assume you mean? That person will be happy to know that I don't cash checks until an issue is ready to go out. I'd also be happy to refund the money for the remainder of their subscription if they'd so choose.

But still he insists on keeping that by mothly banner I can't remember the last time that happend.
    Monthly? You mean bimonthly. That doesn't make the delays better, but it's not like I'm promising an issue every month.

Plus, what if I took the date off? Would you have been any happier when the issues finally arrived, though late?

I once suggested to him to stop that, it would put less pressure on himself, but not he told me it would continue.
    And it will continue to, at least for the time being. Are you made that issues are late, or mad that I put pressure on myself to try to put out issues bimonthly? Because without that pressure, issues might tend to be even later, and I sort of got the impression that that is what you're upset about.

The quality; I admit when Tim Duarte was running things the quality was always first rate. Information in each and every single issue was always up to date. Okay I'll give you when Russ took over at first the quality was a bit shakie but he did manage to build it back up. But the last 2 or 3 years he had missed so much.
    Tim did a great job with the newsletter, but he wasn't spot on every time either. Do you know why Tim gave it up? Because it takes a LOT of time to put an issue together. I'm not talking just writing articles (which I'm lucky to have other people helping me out with big time), or collecting news bits, but verifying those news bits, answering letters, putting the whole issue together, and after everything else, addressing, stuffing, sealing and stamping envelopes, which took up a good part of this weekend.

What about the things I didn't miss? Who else had an expose on the fact that "Starsoft" isn't a real company? Who else decoded Survival Island? And though they can really mess people up, I've LOVED the April Fools issues I've done.

The lastest computer software which contained classic titles. The homebuilts like the Cuttlecart which I did not even know about
    until I joined this forum
    Now that's not fair... I had a review of the Cuttlecart before it was released, and afterward had a review of a collection of games for it. And as far as computer software, I've mentioned quite a few packages (the latest issue mentions the newest one). Which did I miss?

and there are hundreds of other things which I have either heard or read about in magazines or on this or other classic gamer sites.
    Can you be specific? Do me a favor, compile a list of these things, save them for two months, then pick out the ones you think are most relevent, copy them to a document of some sort, make it presentable, edit so that it fits exactly one page or whatever space you need to fill, and then tell me how long it took you.

I am sorry but as the old saying goes your a day late and a dollar short.
    A dollar short. No, actually I've grown rich off the 2600 Connection. Well, that is up until I had to send out a couple of sample issues. There goes the Porsche.

Ach, no. Sorry for the sarcasm, it's just hard to wade through this whole note in a properly obsequious fashion. My apologies again. I've been far more than a day late.

The big problem I see that Russ Perry assumes way to much. Biggest example I could give is the playbin software which as a Starpath owner I wished I knew about for I am not paying someone $50 for what I could do myself practially for free.
    $50? Are you implying that someone is charging $50 for Playbin? I honestly don't follow you here.

I wish I wasn't saying this but given all that has happend in recent years maybe it is time for the 2600 Connection to have a new editor or give that classic game newsletter a decent burial.
    Well, why don't you put out a newsletter to bury 2600 Connection with? I'm not saying that the delays I've had should happen so often, but I think you'll find that they're inevitable.

To be honest, I've been thinking about handing over the reins to someone else after issue #100 anyway, so if anyone is chomping at the bit, they can email me and discuss taking it over. Heck, maybe I'd give it up before #100, as I could use the free time I otherwise spend on it.

Otherwise, talk to Dan Iacovelli, who hangs out on AtariAge and here and look into getting his newsletter. I'm not sure what kind of a schedule Dan is able to keep, but perhaps he can do better for you than I did.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, why don't you put out a newsletter to bury 2600 Connection with? I'm not saying that the delays I've had should happen so often, but I think you'll find that they're inevitable.

To be honest, I've been thinking about handing over the reins to someone else after issue #100 anyway, so if anyone is chomping at the bit, they can email me and discuss taking it over. Heck, maybe I'd give it up before #100, as I could use the free time I otherwise spend on it.

Otherwise, talk to Dan Iacovelli, who hangs out on AtariAge and here and look into getting his newsletter. I'm not sure what kind of a schedule Dan is able to keep, but perhaps he can do better for you than I did.
    Russ,
    I mentioned this on Atari Age when somebody asked the same question about the 2600 connection so I'm going say it agian:
    You have to give us fanzine editors a break, This is just a hobby for us not a full time job so we really shouldn't apoligize if an issue is late.
    We do have a life outside of doing the newsletter (I work a 40hr week job myself).
    I did apoligize to to readers for being late with one issue, which was an issue that arnie katz reviewed and said the samething I just said above: "it's an hobby so there was no need to apoligize"

As for my newsletter: yes I am also behind schedule (I'm bi-monthly) but I do promise to put out 6 issues (I did four issues last yaer because I was backed up and it went on hiatus for while). my newsletter comes out in two versions: pdf and print. The pdf version gets out first because I put it on the website, then I wait a week or so to send out the print version.
    both versions are the same, with exception that the pdf version is in color
    and the print version is not.
    just my 2 cents
    Dan Iacovelli

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me tell you something, Unknown Gamer... editing a fanzine isn't easy. Trust me... I've done it for nearly ten years, and it takes effort to write twenty pages of articles, edit outside contributions, draw cover and interior artwork, then put it all together with an attractive layout.

You should feel damned lucky that Russ is giving you anything at all. He was the one that kept the 2600 Connection going even after its original editor had abandoned it, and he is the one devoted to keeping it alive in an age where print fanzines have nearly been driven out of existence by the Internet.

Maybe he's been a little slow on the draw lately, but you have to realize that this is a hobby for him. It's pointless to demand a tight schedule from any fanzine editor... all you'll wind up with is an inferior product and a publisher frustrated by an unreasonable deadline.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest I did not mean $50 for playbin software. What I meant was $50 for sound files of bin roms which as I have tried can be created very easily using playbin and a simple tape recorder.

Okay I give you another point you got to make a living so do we all. But lets be honest here. You Russ insists on a bimonthly banner remember I suggested that you drop it. So why don't you just do this make special issues.
    If you can't keep up with your own limitations and yes that party I mentioned did wait 10 months not for there first issue as you insist. But there 4th issue. If you can't keep up you can do two things drop it or failing that share the load as the people who put out the Digital Press fanzine do.

I contacted that guy on the other forum he got sick and tried of waiting for his next issue like me.

Cuttlecart, this one I won't give in on. When you did print it up I had already found out via this forum. The guy who made it had already sold out and you failed to print the web address for it. Which I also found out here.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    Let me tell you something, Unknown Gamer... editing a fanzine isn't easy. Trust me... I've done it for nearly ten years, and it takes effort to write twenty pages of articles, edit outside contributions, draw cover and interior artwork, then put it all together with an attractive layout.

You should feel damned lucky that Russ is giving you anything at all. He was the one that kept the 2600 Connection going even after its original editor had abandoned it, and he is the one devoted to keeping it alive in an age where print fanzines have nearly been driven out of existence by the Internet.

Maybe he's been a little slow on the draw lately, but you have to realize that this is a hobby for him. It's pointless to demand a tight schedule from any fanzine editor... all you'll wind up with is an inferior product and a publisher frustrated by an unreasonable deadline.

JR
    Well Put JR(even though I said the same thing just above your post) This is an hobby,We (fanzine editors) bare make out ahead in this.
    Heck, I remember when the atari zone had close to 30 people subscribing to the newsletters now we just down to 7 for the print version.
    but it doesn't bother me because I have the pdf version and have about 8 people who get that e-mailed to them or linked to the website.
    I don't know howmany people who actually goes to site it self just to look at the issues. But it's just a hobby.

Dan Iacovelli

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Gamer
    I contacted that guy on the other forum he got sick and tried of waiting for his next issue like me.
    Tell him to contact me and I'll be happy to refund his money.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?