210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genesis

77 36.67%
  • Super NES

107 50.95%
  • Turbografx-16

26 12.38%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TurboGrafx-16/Genesis/Super NES: Which was the best?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember that I told people a lot at school to kiss my ass, that the sega fucking genesis was the best! I mean, sonic ruled! Plus I had mortal kombat, and my third game for the system was a crappy Mick and Mack Global Gladiators game, but it got better from there eventually I grabbed toe jam and earl 2 and it became real real real fun! Then landstalker... which is the most badass action rpg ever!

I may also have to give some credits to the SNES, because I often found myself playing my friends alot, I thought super mario world was pretty cool. I had another friend who owned an SNES as well, and we played DKC a LOT.

But later today I'll be able to give my opinion on the SNES, because im looking for one at the flea :-) Wish me luck!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was a kid I owned all 3 systems, SNES was my favorite though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Genesis>SNES>TG16

Still if only NEC gave it better suport... things might have been different.

I see no, NeoGeo in the poll either still i can under stand 'due to it's price tag at the time

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GENESIS/MEGA DRIVE BABY!!!! The Genesis had my kind of games. Fast, furious and stylish!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I bought all three as soon as they came out. Let me just say that SNES is what Genesisn't! Although not a bad system, I never truely loved the Genesis very much. I'll put the SNES at the top, followed by the TG-16, with the Genny in third place. If the Neo-Geo was in the poll, the Gen would be in fourth place.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats a tough one; I'm just gonna have to go with SNES because its all I really got to know that well. I hear the TG16 has some hits I can't wait to find out for myself though. Genesis I only recently found out about. Might and Magic 2 is on track to become my favourite 16 bit game ever, plus Phantasy Star 2-4, shining Series, Rocket Knight, Starflight, and golden ax have me in awe. I do love Secret of Mana though I gotta tell ya, plus Ogre battle, Lufia, Zelda 3, FF4, and Legend of the Mystical Ninja.
    Just a fool from Hyrule. Swingin' in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Genesis
    2. SNES
    3. TurboGrafx

Will we ever see games or a system war like the ones we saw in the 16-bit heyday? Probably not, but I can dream...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Much like so many others stated, you're more prone to picking the system that you had as a kid. I had a Genesis, and that's what I chose. But I am going to try to explain my answer.

Nintendo loves to make money porting their older games to newer consoles. Because of this, many of the SNES's marquee games are available on newer systems:

All Mario games, Zelda LTTP, BOF 1+2, Lost Vikings, R&R Racing, etc.

Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger are available on PSX.

This makes SNES less of a "must-have" system for the classic gamer. If it were not for the availability of so many ports on the GBA and PSX, I might say SNES. But the Genesis had a lot of great lesser-known games that never saw a port. Sega only ports over it's mega hits, and does so poorly. Have you ever played a really spot-on Sega compilation? I haven't.

I also love all the arcade ports that the Genesis has. Like someone said earlier, if you were into the arcade scene in the late 80's and early 90's, you know what I mean. But the Genesis also has some great RPGs like Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, which to this day is a little-known title. One of my favorite games of all time is StarFlight, and the Genesis was also home to the first Star Control title.

I have to gove the TurboGrafx it's respect though. I would be more into it, but it is a hard ssystem to collect for due to the lack of availability of games. Maybe other people have a diferent experience, but I never find games in the wild, and have to depend on eBay and DP for TG16 games that I'm looking for. It is a great system though with a lot of great arcade titles. Galaga 88/90 is one of the best title upgrades/sequels I've ever played.

Remember, Sega does what Nintendon't.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Remember, Sega does what Nintendon't.
    Bah. Super Nintendo is what Genesisn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I had an SNES as a youth, saved up for a year to get that thing when I was 10 years old. Never really had enough money to buy the "big guns" like Super Punch Out!, Super Metroid, DKC2/3, the RPGS, etc.

I had a blast with Mega Man X, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Super Mario World, SM All Stars and Street Fighter II Turbo.

I wasn't into arguing with anyone about the quality since my cousin, who I looked up to at the time, had a genesis, and I thought that it was more "powerful" than the SNES. All I know is that I loved the sonic games and couldn't play them.

All of my other friends had either both systems (snes or genesis) or Turbo Grafx and nothing else.

So I got to play the best of all systems, like many people did.

Now... I am not such a big fan of the SNES. I have a blast playing on my CDX, I love Snatcher on the Sega CD, Moonwalker, Sonic, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage, etc etc. I also picked up a Duo-R to play Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, which is an awesome game.

I still voted for the Genesis though, just because Sega really tried so hard to win over gamers, and ended up getting the short end of the stick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Nintendo! Some of my all time favorite games are on that system...as well as a ton of other great titles. I like the Genesis, but only for certain games. As for the TG16...I've only played one game on it, and that was import - Gradius on the PC-Engine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Genesis all the way!!
    I love the games for this system when EA started making game for it, like Starflight and Might and Magic,the Immortal, Shadow of the Beast and Populas.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the day it was SNES all the way, in fact it was Nintendo all the way. I had a hardcore Nintendo fan and I burned w/hate for Sega. The Ironic part of it all was when the 32bit gen rolled around I turned my back on Nintendo because I felt like Nintendo had turned it's back on it's fans and everything turned hardcore Sega.

These days I have all 3 systems and I enjoy them all equally for different reasons.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The poll results look like a presidential election with a strong third-party showing. 2016 maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

I'm still playing all three. My favorite is the TG16. I have the TG16, PC Engine, Turbo Duo, and the Turbo Express. My PC Engine gets the most play time. Love my TG16 stuff! The arcade shooters is what keeps me with a Turbo pad in hand. There are loads of great games on this system that are still fun to play. Back when these systems were hot, the Genesis and the TG16 is where I had the most of my gaming fun. The SNES, for some reason held third place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to go with the SNES. It's selection of awesome titles just dominated. I'm not saying the other consoles are bad, I just feel that Nintendo really put the effort into covering all the important aspects of what makes good games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Genesis and SNES are pretty much in a dead heat. I'll give it to the Genesis due to a slightly better game library (in my opinion) but both are all-time classic consoles.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Now this topic is a real blast from the past.

If we're talking US libraries only, I'd rank them:

SNES > Genesis > TG-16

If we include Japanese releases, it only solidifies the SNES/SFC's lead for me, and while the Genesis/MD gains my favorite game on the platform (Monster World IV), the TG-16/PC Engine gains a ton of amazing games, changing my ranking to:

SNES/SFC > TG-16/PC Engine > Genesis/MD