210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genesis

77 36.67%
  • Super NES

107 50.95%
  • Turbografx-16

26 12.38%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16/Genesis/Super NES: Which was the best?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

The SNES gets my vote, mainly because the Gamecube made me fall back in love with Nintendo. But, for the sake of making my reply interesting, I'll post my opinions on all 3.

SNES - Most well-rounded library of titles ever. Platformers? Both Super Mario Worlds and Mario All-Stars. Shooters? Gradius 3, Super R-Type, Space Megaforce. Character shooters? Contra 3, Mega Man X. Fighters? Street Fighter 2 (and SF2 Turbo), Mortal Kombat 2, even Art of Fighting! Beat 'em Ups? Super Double Dragon, Final Fight trilogy, TMNT 4. RPGs? FF2, FF3, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. Adventure games? Zelda 3, Super Metroid, Castlevania 4, Dracula X. Puzzle games? Tetris Attack, Tetris & Dr. Mario, Bust-a-Move.

Genesis - It takes good knowledge of late 80's and early 90's arcade games to really fully appreciate the Genesis. There are the obvious goodies, like Sonic, Streets of Rage, Gunstar Heroes, Columns, Phantasy Star, Shining Force and Toejam & Earl, but if you dig deeper, you have: Strider, Ghouls & Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Truxton, MUSHA, Golden Axe, the Shinobi trilogy, Valis III, Gaiares, Whip Rush, Arrow Flash, Rolling Thunder 2 & 3, Splatterhouse 2 & 3, Burning Force, Space Harrier 2, OutRun, Flicky, Phelios, Alex Kidd, Fire Shark, and more.

TurboGrafx-16 - Speaking of late 80's/early 90's arcade fare, that's almost all that you can get for this system! Certainly not a bad thing, though. I'll try and focus on U.S. titles....Bonk trilogy, Air Zonk, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse, Ordyne, Cyber-Core, Blazing Lazers, Aero Blasters, Galaga '90, Alien Crush & Devil's Crush. Of course, there were some real thinking games as well, such as Neutopia and Military Madness. You can also get Wonder Boy for the TG16! (As Dragon's Curse)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to say SNES was the best genesis being close behind becasue of the sega cd and 32x

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think many of us will pick whichever one we had at the time...as one person said, most people couldn't afford both. I picked the SNES which I might even pick as my all-time favorite system. It has a huge library of great games (my favorites including Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out, DKC, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and so many more) and it actually is the system that got me back into gaming. I'd been out of it maybe 4 or 5 years (I completely missed the NES years) and it's the system I've more games for than any other. I never got into the TG-16 (I had 8 games at one point; now I have a single game) and I also have a Genesis but I think I only have about 40 games for it. A good system...I just prefer the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

The snes was the system that got me back into playing video games. I was at a friends house and I saw Street fighter2 and had to have it. To this day, its still my favorite system. Then MK2 came out for the system...it was like a dream come true. Looks like a mini version of the arcade game with excellent controls. I dont have my first snes, I now have the Mini system. Thats why I still love fighting games.....Snes and SF2... ohyeah I do still play MK2 from time to time

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SuperNES, undoubtely.

The Best Street Fighter home combats was on the Super NES platform, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES was my favorite. It just had more games that I wanted to play. My cousin had genesis and turbografx and I has some fun times playing those systems. Now I appreciate the other systems more but SNES is still the best.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for Genesis, eventhough I enjoy all 3, I remember playing the Genesis the most as a preteen to teenager, the TG 16 and SNES collected the most dust out of the 3, nowadays though I find myself fooling around with the SNES and TG16 more than the Genesis, so I guess my vote was based on nostalgia purposes
    Games, games and more games

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis.
    Rocket Knight Adventures was (and still is) the best platform game ever, and there are heaps of other great Genesis games, but ive only been able to find a couple of snes games worth playing (mostly shoot 'em ups). The genesis 6-button controller was great with SF2.
    Id love to play a turbographx, but they are incredibly hard to find in australia. oh well, thats just one more reason to go for a holiday to america

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Yashiro said what I was going to - and he even listed most of the games that I was going to. Oh well.

I had to pick the Genesis, though, simply because it does have the most games that I want to play. Luckily I was able to experience all three of them during their heyday, and I love them all for different reasons. You can't go wrong with any of them, imo.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know, Johnny Brandsetter makes this easy.

Turbo Grafx-16.

no frontin' or half-steppin' here.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES.

The SNES ports of multi-platform games always looked nicer and sometimes had cooler effects.

This was because of the SNES' much larget available color palette. If Rare tried to make a game like Donkey Kong Country for the Genesis, it would not be able to look ANYWHERE near as nice due to the Genesis' extremely small palette. This limited designers artistic abilities. And made cross platform games look less.. cool on the Genesis.

Now, the SNES also had a lot of really neat breakthroughs. The NES did too (With the advent of MMC chips that allowed the NES to do stuff it would have never been able to do in 1986.) but it was the SNES that had some really cool stuff. The Super FX chips allowed for more advanced 3D effects (For the time) or scaling and rotation. And made games like StarFox and Yoshi's Island possible. Would you have bought StarFox if it were another top down space shooter or Yoshi's Island if it were a normal platformer? Probably, but would they have been as fricking cool?

Of course, the DKC series pushed the SNES' color abilities to the limit and made one hell of a trilogy. (If you don't count DK64 which I'd rather not.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super NES by far. As much as I love the Mega Drive/Genesis - the SNES was where it all began for me and it had most of my all time favourite games on it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) death1024's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Turbo Grafx

The turbo grafx by far. Just because of the game military maddness.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for Genesis, because it is the 16-bit system I grew up playing, another reason I voted for it was the Sonic, Streets Of Rage, and Toejam And Earl series of games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Long live the TG-16! It may not have had a whole heck of a lot of RPGs, but I still had a blast with it. Great colors, cool CD-ROM before anybody else did, five player capablility, and a TON of imports if you needed. I love my little Turbo!
    Not all who launder are washed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has to be the genesis. There's nothing like arriving 30 minutes late for my Economics 101 final because I was watching the Superbowl in our Madden '94 league. It's too bad I got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

clearly SNES
    It has the better games in every genre for me

jump'n run: Super Mario World, Yoshis Island (best ever),Plok,DKC 1-3
    shoot'em up: Space Megaforce, Axelay, R-Type 3,Macross-Scrambled Valkier
    Action: Super Contra/Probotector (best of series),RENDERING RANGER and SUPER TURRICAN 2----> those two kicked PS/Saturn titles to hell
    Beat'em up: Street Fighter series, MK2, Weaponlord,KILLER INSTINCT
    side-scrolling Beat'em up: final fight series,Combat Tribes, rushning beat,...
    Sports: only have 1 sports game..International Superstar Soccer but it(the SNES version) is the best 16-bit soccer game ever

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the snes, for so many reasons, but to me the genny was a better console, with alot of great games, unlike the snes, which again IMO had alot of crap games, but a few good ones, and they were really good, i.e chrono trigger, ff2+3, both secret of evermore and mana, I mean to me the genny was where it was, but I can still remember playing super metroid, that game kicked soooo much ass, the intro was like a movie... wow. But the genny still holds a special place in my heart, possibly because I remember the first christmas I got it, and it came with altered beast... And hearing the guy say "Rise from your grave"..... wow what an arcade port.... sweeeeeeeeet.
    And let me not leave out the tg-16, unfortunately I never got one when I was younger, but I do have one now, and its awesome, but I don't have enough "experience" on that system to rate it, but anyways, thats my two cents on genny and snes, and tg...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd go for the Genesis. If you took away the RPGs Snes is inferior to the other systems. The only thing I feel the Genesis was missing is a lot of good RPGs. Turbo Grafx 16 comes in a close second with all it's great shooters and RPGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I grew up on the SNES, but the wonders of the Genesis were opened up to me when I bought one along with the first Sonic game, Streets of Rage, and Gunstar Heroes. But the Turbografx... Splatterhouse, Air Zonk, Blazing Lazers... dang! I can't decide! They all rock so much!
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp