210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genesis

77 36.67%
  • Super NES

107 50.95%
  • Turbografx-16

26 12.38%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16/Genesis/Super NES: Which was the best?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default TurboGrafx-16/Genesis/Super NES: Which was the best?

Although this topic back around 1990/1991 never did prove as lively as the NES/SMS, 2600/Intellivision, or ColecoVision/5200 comparisons, which of these systems did you side with?

I don't have a preference; I'm afraid that the 16-Bit era did not interest me at all. That's why I simply gave away the Genesis I fixed.

[ed by digitalpress: added a poll]

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: TurboGrafx-16/Genesis/Super NES: Which was the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    Although this topic back around 1990/1991 never did prove as lively as the NES/SMS, 2600/Intellivision, or ColecoVision/5200 comparisons, which of these systems did you side with?

I don't have a preference; I'm afraid that the 16-Bit era did not interest me at all. That's why I simply gave away the Genesis I fixed.
    How old are you? When I was growing up, the SNES/Genesis debate was HEATED. The 16-bit era started when I was 11 yrs. old, and throughout middle and early high school I got in more arguments over this than anything else.

Personally I sided with the Super Nintendo, but I wasn't totally devoted to it. My cousin got a Genesis instead, and I often went over there to play Madden, King's Bounty, Sonic, etc. Of course when we argued about it I'd always defend the SNES to the death, but I never ran down the Genesis. If I could've owned both (my parents weren't exactly rich), I would've. And my portable of choice was the Game Gear...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, my friend owned a genises, and I owned a SNES. I had fun with Sonic, but that was about it...I admit I didn't play too many Genesis games tho. But, I loved my SNES soooooo much! Me and my sister got one for Christmas and never got tired of it. We played Super Mario World forever, and couldn't get enough of anything Donkey Kong Country. And lets not forget Super Metroid, which I am now trying to beat...never could when I was little. EGM rated Super Metroid as the greatest game of all time and I am starting to agree with them!

-=Mr. NEStalgia=-

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

No doubt the 16-bit wars were as heated as those for 5200/ColecoVision 2600/Intellivision if not MORE so. Lots of mud-slinging, especially by Sega, who went on an absolute TEAR trying to bring down Nintendo. In some ways, they succeeded. At least they managed to show a chink in Nintendo's armor, that was the first time anyone here had ever seen that.

My vote here would be different on any given day! I love all three of these systems. Only the paltry US library of the TG-16 keeps it from being a regular contender, but if you were to open this up to the "world" and have PC Engine as a competitor, now you've REALLY got a battle on your hands.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the SNES best myself, as to which had the best hardwarse/potential? TG-16 I Think.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Mud-slinging is one thing, but in the 5200/CV debate (plenty of mud-slinging, you can't play them on Coleco!...even as they were making superior versions FOR the CV!), Atari sort of fibbed. They bragged about the 5200's 320X200 resolution and 256 colors, as opposed to the CV's 256X192 resolution and mere 16 colors- what they didn't say, however, was that the 5200 couldn't do both at the same time, but this wasn't the impression you'd get from the ads.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Genesis, hands down, for me. Sure, it couldn't throw as many colors at you as the SNES or TG-16 did but, for my money, the games were just better. I can completely understand why people still like the SNES, I just think the Genny had better games.

Now, if we were throwing all the PC Engine stuff in too, like DP said, that might make a difference. But, if we're just talking about US releases, it's Genny all the way!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well ive never owned a tg16, and ive only played splatterhouse for it, so i cant comment on that, but between the snes and genny, the snes wins by a VERY narrow margin. although the sports games were better on genny (im a big football and hockey game fan) they werent THAT much better than everyone made them out to be. the snes has the rpg's locked down and in my opinion the fighters too. (the genny 6 button controller was better for em, but i didnt mind the snes cont.) street fighter 2 turbo and MK2 were superior on snes, imo.

both system are great though, and thus far that era of gaming was the best, imo.

edit: forgot to mention the flagship series' of both systems, sonic and mario. both game were simply awesome, but to me the mario games were more fun and challenging. i could usually breeze right through the sonic games. oh how i wish for new versions of both of these games in 2D.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for the Turbo-Grafx 16, because its capabilities. Allowing far more onscreen colors than the Genesis was a factor in my vote. The TG-16 did have a small library, but there are many quality titles within it. The hardware for the system was extensive, which makes it more durable than the SNES and the Genesis. Even though the latter also had a CD unit, the TG-16's ability to upgrade the discs to a superior quality comes as a welcome addition. Plus, the Turbo Duo accepts Japanese CD roms without a need for converter or mod chip. Having the ability to freely play domestic games as well as overseas creations tremendously adds to the gaming experience.

Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the SNES, it had the games and the video chip was soo much cleaner.. But like everyone else the Genesis was just a drive over to a friends..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back then, I was all for the SNES. The commercials that Sega made bashing the SNES always offended me... These days, I love all 3. The SNES for all the memories and great games, the Turbo Grafx for Parasol Stars and the CD games, and the Genesis for Mega Turrican and the Sega CD system!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

snes because it had such great games, genesis close 2nd though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like I just tied it up for the Genesis. I was just thinking about what a great system it was for the time & still is. I've been playing it a lot lately. It's the best of both worlds for me-classic gameplay with killer graphics. Gunstar Heroes, the Sonic series, sports games, & totally original games like Toe Jam & Earl, Flashback-The Quest for Identity, and Earthworm Jim. This system has it all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gawd what a hard choice.. I couldn't bring myself to vote.. As all 3 systems lived in harmony and were each loved the same!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Yeah I remember.. a night of Ghouls & Ghosts/Golden Axe.. then moving onto Blazing Lazers/Legendary Axe.. The Super NES came out a little later though remember? i.e. for a while it was just Genesis and TG-16.. and maybe NES. :P

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although i have more games for the genny, I just dont like the type of games they had. SNES will always have a special place in my heart. as will the 32X
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It was Genesis for me. It wowed me with it near arcade quality and I was big into arcade titles at the time. When the SNES came out, I was disappointed with the speed of its processor. Sure it looked pretty with its Mode-7 and more colors, but Sega had the games for me. I still purchased a SNES when it was available used at a good price but I only owned about 7 games in its life time.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, it's easy: the TG16...if you want to count the import scene. My PC Engine gets more playtime than any of my other 16bit era machines. It has loads of shumps, some of Sega's classic arcade games (Outrun, Afterburner II, Space Harrier, etc), SF2:CE, Dracula X, the Bomberman games, and lots of great originals like the PC KId/Bonk series, Gates and Lords of Thunder.

SNES would be second even though its magic just doesnt hold me like it used to. Genesis would come in third by default as I've only just gotten into Genny gaming.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own all three and and had a genny and an snes as a kid, so I have to say the snes is my favorite, because it had the most games I enjoyed. In quality I think they are all good as the other system wise and software wise. The Snes is what I played most as a kid, thats all.

Vintagegamecrazy
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a hard one. It would be a tie between the
    Sega Genesis and Turbo Grafix 16. Both have
    their great games, as for the Nintendo it just
    doesn't come close. I started playing video
    games on the Sega Master System and cont-
    inued on the Genesis, then to the Turbo Grafix
    Thanks for looking !
    The "sphereman" :Fade-color :Fade-color
    sphereman

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis was the best. It had the best sports games. NHLPA was way better on the Genesis then the SNES. The Genesis also had good RPG's but so did the SNES.