Thread: Famicom Disk System Game Prices?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Famicom Disk System Game Prices?

Hey All...

I just joined the forum. I am an american university student living in Tokyo. I know...its the mecha of games...no doubt about it....

Anyway I just picked up a brand new new style Famicom A/V at the store along with a couple of games. I picked up Metal Gear with a mint box and instructions for roughly $20 US dollars. Is this a good price? It seemed like it to me and since Metal Gear is one of my favorite series I did not really hesitate.

Anyway, I also found a small used book store/game shop that has many famicom disk system games. They are all priced at about US $5. What is the average price for disk system games in the US?? I just would like an idea if its a good idea to pick up games I dont really know much about at that price point. To give you guys an idea of what they had....Golf Japan Course with Instruction manual, about 5 copies of Super Mario 2 (Japan) some with instructions, some other game titles (all in Kanji...gahh still studying), and some Konami game with a military theme...i forget them name something like Commandos...something generic...cant be too many for disk system anyway.

Ok last question is....how many games were released in total for the Famicom Disk system?

Any help would be appreciated and let me know if you are looking for certain games and I might be able to pick them up...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey waxpoet:

Welcome to the forums (and to Tokyo). First off, as with the other post, there's an import forum that's probably more appropriate for very import-specfic topics... although such topics do pop up here from time to time, and there are very few assholes on this board.

Anyways: I'm probably the last person you should talk to about Famicom prices, as I don't really keep up with them... despite the fact that I've lived in Tokyo for 6 years. I'll do my best though.

Retro games are very much alive here, and the prices can be extremely inflated I think... especially in Akihabara. AKihabara holds some very good deals, but you have to look for them. I don't go that often anymore, but here's a quick rundown of the stores.

Media Land: Has some great, rare items, and is not afraid to ask an arm and a leg for them. PC-Engine seems fairly priced now, but Saturn stuff is listed about 35% too high. PSX and SFC stuff seems only slightly too high.

Trader 2: Goes up and down. I've gotten great deals here, and some are just awful. I assume their FC and SFC stuff is priced on the same scale as their Saturn, PC-Engine stuff.

Liberty: Okay selection, pretty lame prices. I've found some good deals in many of the 7 or so Liberty shops in Akihabara, but, I'm convinced they were mis-priced.

The best places to get used games in Akiba is definitely the little, off-the-path shops.

What part of town do you live in? Maybe I can give you a tour sometime? Don't blow your money though... you'll need it. I was a student here too at one time, and it's quite difficult.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a list of FDS games:

http://www.nesworld.com/acc/disklist.txt

Other than that, the prices range. I would say any game is worth atleast ten bucks given it is complete, maybe a little lower for the sports games.

I would be very interested in trading/buying FDS games if you could pick some of them up and ship them over? Zing me a PM.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Welcome to the forums. Many of us live in the States or Europe and we're always glad to see more people who live in Japan, even if they are'nt Japanese.

Which school are you in and what degree? How long are you there for? Picked up much Japanese yet? I took two years of it in HS.

If you need anything from the States, I'd be more then glad to help you out.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

High School? Well, it's glad to see that US schools are finally recognizing that there are more foreign langauges than Spanish.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I'd SLAY for an AV Famicom for $20! I've been dying for one...can't find em for less than $60 myself! Don't suppose you'd want to trade a US toploader w/Metal Gear for it?

Anyway, yeah, that's a steal. As for FDS games, some can be had quite cheap and some go for heavy coin!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, for my two cents: I bought a lot of sealed FDS titles a while back, and the prices are probably far too high, but here goes:

Zelda, Zelda 2, Akumajo Dracula, and Metroid were around $50-60 each. SMB and SMB 2 had some ridiculously high asking price between $120, and I didn't buy them. Complete games werre $10-$20, and should certainly be no more if you're buying in person as opposed to me dealing with a website.

That's just what it cost me...not what they're worth. Realistically I'd say my $50 games weren't a bad price off the internet, though you should try to see if you can find them $10 cheaper. If you do buy these games, make sure they're actually complete, i.e. have the stickers intact in the manual, the paper disk jacket inside the plastic case, and that sort of thing.

@ Maxlords: The Sharp Twin Famicom has AV output, too (though only mono sound), and I don't believe the picture quality is that bad either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To back up Ed, and what I also said -- Japan is really no different than the states. You really do have to search for bargains here... they're just much easier to find is all.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    @ Maxlords: The Sharp Twin Famicom has AV output, too (though only mono sound), and I don't believe the picture quality is that bad either.
    Yeah I know. I don't want one though...they're huge. Got offered one recently cheap and I turned it down. I want an AV Famicom pretty bad.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Waxpoet and Gaijin Punch,

It's always good to hear from other expatriates (I lived in Korea for a while, but am back in the U.S.). My girlfriend is returning to Japan for 10 days and I'm having her look for some games for me. It'd be really helpful if she knew where to look (she's not into games herself). Do you know of any other places that sell old Famicom stuff? Some titles I'm looking for specifically are Yume Penguin Monogatari (Famicom), Wrecking Crew '98 (Super Famicom), Namco Museum Encore (PS1), and the Cutie-Q controller for the Japanese Namco Museum Vol. 2. If you've seen any of this stuff, can you let me know so I can point her in that direction? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is your gal going to be in Tokyo? The best places for anything rare are going to be

Medialand
    http://www.m-land.co.jp/
    Trader2 (not 1 or 3)
    http://www.e-trader.jp/

Any number of Liberties have tons of games as well
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/ai/kobap/akiba/akiba.htm

If your chic is Japanese, she can surely read the above maps.

Ciao
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Maxlords- I would be interested in that Twin Fami. Let me know if you could still get ahold of it.

@Gajin Punch- Would you happen to have any FDS or Fami games for sale or trade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn.. this post makes me sad. I just lost an auction for a lot of around 60 disk games and system. Doh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gaijin Punch--

Thanks for the info! My girlfriend is indeed Japanese so I think these will aid her greatly. A friend of hers in Japan has already scored some games I'd been looking for on my behalf, so when she returns to America just before Christmas, it will be a very Merry Christmas indeed.

Thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FDS just isn't my bag. I enjoy the games, but definitely don't collect it, so have none for trade/sale.

As for your chic coming to town, she can contact me if she has any questions. There's apparantly a new Trader in Shinjuku (which I've never been to, so can't comment) and there's definitely at least one (I think two though) Liberty shops in Shinjuku but their selection outside of SFC and PSX is slim.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    As for your chic coming to town, she can contact me if she has any questions. There's apparantly a new Trader in Shinjuku (which I've never been to, so can't comment) and there's definitely at least one (I think two though) Liberty shops in Shinjuku but their selection outside of SFC and PSX is slim.
    Thanks a lot for the help! My girlfriend said that she's actually heard of those stores. She isn't actually going to go herself, but she's having her more knowledgeable "otaku" friends try to find the games I want. She's got a pretty packed schedule! I'm lucky to have someone like her find stuff for me.