Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arcade Scene, U.S.A.; Just How Bad Is It?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Arcade Scene, U.S.A.; Just How Bad Is It?

I know this question has been asked- sort of- before, but I live up here in Central New York. Not exactly the best place by which to judge the arcade scene all across America.

Since Digital Press members are from all over the country...how is the scene where you are?

The comment about how arcade to home translations no longer really matter is really intriguing. Back in the days of ColecoVision vs. Atari 5200, it was THE question that mattered! It was also important in the NES days, the 16-Bit era, and even into the mid-1990s, if to a lesser degree.

Is it because the technical differences between home and arcade machines is no longer that significant? A lack of variety and innovation for all of these years? Or a sort of universal sameness?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Arcade Scene, U.S.A.; Just How Bad Is It?

I know this question has been asked- sort of- before, but I live up here in Central New York. Not exactly the best place by which to judge the arcade scene all across America.

Since Digital Press members are from all over the country...how is the scene where you are?

The comment about how arcade to home translations no longer really matter is really intriguing. Back in the days of ColecoVision vs. Atari 5200, it was THE question that mattered! It was also important in the NES days, the 16-Bit era, and even into the mid-1990s, if to a lesser degree.

Is it because the technical differences between home and arcade machines is no longer that significant? A lack of variety and innovation for all of these years? Or a sort of universal sameness?

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's bad. There just aren't any games that are interesting. The arcades have become the home of just DDR, Lightgun games, and fighters. There are notable exceptions, but usally it's just like, a driving game, or maybe metal slug in the corner. If I didn't play DDR, I wouldn't ever go to arcades. ANd, around here, if an arcade doesn't have a DDR machine they tend to go out of business in a month or two.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's bad. There just aren't any games that are interesting. The arcades have become the home of just DDR, Lightgun games, and fighters. There are notable exceptions, but usally it's just like, a driving game, or maybe metal slug in the corner. If I didn't play DDR, I wouldn't ever go to arcades. ANd, around here, if an arcade doesn't have a DDR machine they tend to go out of business in a month or two.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it because the technical differences between home and arcade machines is no longer that significant?

I think so. That's why when you do see an arcade machine (at Dave and Busters) they're always those environmental jobs with specialized controllers you can't have at home, like the firehouse or a snowboard controller.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it because the technical differences between home and arcade machines is no longer that significant?

I think so. That's why when you do see an arcade machine (at Dave and Busters) they're always those environmental jobs with specialized controllers you can't have at home, like the firehouse or a snowboard controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

To be honest, the arcade scene is still quite alive and fine in Southeastern michigan. I think what happened is alot of people got burned out on badly run arcades. I've seen arcades that people would come in, and not play anything, because all the machines were busted up in some way. And with the rise of the corporate arcade, thats gotten pretty bad. I have seen smaller arcades survive by upkeeping their machines and essentially specializing in 1 or 2 genres. I know Wizzards in Detroit wouldn't be doing half as well if they didn't specialize in fighting games. They have other stuff, but those get the most play, and make the most money, so they make sure those machines are running fine at least once a week. There's another arcade/mini golf/pool place called Butterfly, that specializes in driving games and old school games like Gaplus, Asteroids, and Raiden Plus.

As long as gamers like to go someplace and hang out and play against other gamers, there will be arcades. Not even net play can take that experience away.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

To be honest, the arcade scene is still quite alive and fine in Southeastern michigan. I think what happened is alot of people got burned out on badly run arcades. I've seen arcades that people would come in, and not play anything, because all the machines were busted up in some way. And with the rise of the corporate arcade, thats gotten pretty bad. I have seen smaller arcades survive by upkeeping their machines and essentially specializing in 1 or 2 genres. I know Wizzards in Detroit wouldn't be doing half as well if they didn't specialize in fighting games. They have other stuff, but those get the most play, and make the most money, so they make sure those machines are running fine at least once a week. There's another arcade/mini golf/pool place called Butterfly, that specializes in driving games and old school games like Gaplus, Asteroids, and Raiden Plus.

As long as gamers like to go someplace and hang out and play against other gamers, there will be arcades. Not even net play can take that experience away.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade scene seems to be dying everywhere. I live just outside State College, home to Penn State and 40,000 students. Yet the last arcade in town is closing tomorrow and auctioning its' inventory.

One of my co-workers owned an arcade in town that closed years ago. She said the drop-off began in 1991. Was it due to Genesis, SNES, and PCs? Probably. Personally, I was turned off when games went from a quarter to 50 cents.

There are video game systems in nearly every household, and arcades just aren't that far ahead of the home market anymore (if at all). Except for the atmosphere and memories, why go to the arcade?

Just my two cents.

Jeff D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade scene seems to be dying everywhere. I live just outside State College, home to Penn State and 40,000 students. Yet the last arcade in town is closing tomorrow and auctioning its' inventory.

One of my co-workers owned an arcade in town that closed years ago. She said the drop-off began in 1991. Was it due to Genesis, SNES, and PCs? Probably. Personally, I was turned off when games went from a quarter to 50 cents.

There are video game systems in nearly every household, and arcades just aren't that far ahead of the home market anymore (if at all). Except for the atmosphere and memories, why go to the arcade?

Just my two cents.

Jeff D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I do remember one of the great things about the arcade: innovation. When you played, say, Mr. Do! or Tempest for the first time, or Q*Bert, or Moon Patrol...it seemed as if every few months would bring something new.

Then, after deciding that you just loved that new game, wondering if a good version would appear on your home console.

Even though "the place to hang out" is probably true, there's no denying that the immense popularity of being "on-line" has hurt the entire social scene, at least to a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I do remember one of the great things about the arcade: innovation. When you played, say, Mr. Do! or Tempest for the first time, or Q*Bert, or Moon Patrol...it seemed as if every few months would bring something new.

Then, after deciding that you just loved that new game, wondering if a good version would appear on your home console.

Even though "the place to hang out" is probably true, there's no denying that the immense popularity of being "on-line" has hurt the entire social scene, at least to a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's pretty much dead here in Ontario, as well as back home in Souther Oregon. The price hike combined with arcade games that are available on home systems is just killing arcades. Most of the absolute best arcades I've been to in the last few years are all private arcades. A lot of people I know are just getting them for themselves instead of bothering to go out and play arcade games.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's pretty much dead here in Ontario, as well as back home in Souther Oregon. The price hike combined with arcade games that are available on home systems is just killing arcades. Most of the absolute best arcades I've been to in the last few years are all private arcades. A lot of people I know are just getting them for themselves instead of bothering to go out and play arcade games.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Amen, brother.

I still enjoy going to arcades just to hang out with friends of mine that go there. We all meet on Friday nights and it's a little bit different every time: sometimes me and my buddy E.J. head off to a table and just sit and discuss politics, sometimes it's only about the DDR machine (a lot of times it's that), and sometimes I get to sit with a small group and just go on and go off about arcades and video gaming as it is. A fun time, yes. But it's rarely ever about the games anymore... just talking about them and the good ol' days... :sigh:

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Amen, brother.

I still enjoy going to arcades just to hang out with friends of mine that go there. We all meet on Friday nights and it's a little bit different every time: sometimes me and my buddy E.J. head off to a table and just sit and discuss politics, sometimes it's only about the DDR machine (a lot of times it's that), and sometimes I get to sit with a small group and just go on and go off about arcades and video gaming as it is. A fun time, yes. But it's rarely ever about the games anymore... just talking about them and the good ol' days... :sigh:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Default Re: Arcade Scene, U.S.A.; Just How Bad Is It?

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    That's it. That explains why the biggest moneymakers in arcades are sitdown racing games and DDR (hardly a comparison between a $20 home pad and the arcade pads)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Default Re: Arcade Scene, U.S.A.; Just How Bad Is It?

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    That's it. That explains why the biggest moneymakers in arcades are sitdown racing games and DDR (hardly a comparison between a $20 home pad and the arcade pads)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

As far as I see it, the best machines to charge 50 cents or more on are dancing games, or stuff with specialized hardware. Those just LOOK like they deserve the extra coin. Anything in a standard cabinet, those just look like games you'd only pay a quarter to play. There's exceptions to that. CvS2 and SF3: 3rd Strike both do well at wizzards, and they are 50 cents. But people are more apt to play the ultracade, or Sam Sho V, since those are only a quarter.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

As far as I see it, the best machines to charge 50 cents or more on are dancing games, or stuff with specialized hardware. Those just LOOK like they deserve the extra coin. Anything in a standard cabinet, those just look like games you'd only pay a quarter to play. There's exceptions to that. CvS2 and SF3: 3rd Strike both do well at wizzards, and they are 50 cents. But people are more apt to play the ultracade, or Sam Sho V, since those are only a quarter.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives