Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arcade Scene, U.S.A.; Just How Bad Is It?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT
    Whoever said Southeastern Michigan forgot to mention the best arcade i've ever been too, MArvelous Marvins! About 500 machines and some acient( as in, penny-arcade type of machines). He even has his meters up on the wall to show how much power the place is sucking up. Nice pizza too.

The only other place I can think of that is a nice,big arcade, is in Cedar Point in Ohio. They have what must be about 700 machines, half from Euclid Beach. It even has a copy of SEGA's first EVER game, which is some type of submarine game I believe.
    Give me a location of this Marvelous Marvins. I wouldn't mind checking out. Theres a couple arcades downriver of Detroit, such as Red Baron in Allen Park(which was kinda weak), and one in the Detroiter Truck Stop in I-75(which is THE place to go for cheap DDR). But nothing really sweet in my immediate vicinity (Wizzards and Butterfly are both about 30 minutes away).
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Whoever said Southeastern Michigan forgot to mention the best arcade i've ever been too, MArvelous Marvins! About 500 machines and some acient( as in, penny-arcade type of machines). He even has his meters up on the wall to show how much power the place is sucking up. Nice pizza too.

The only other place I can think of that is a nice,big arcade, is in Cedar Point in Ohio. They have what must be about 700 machines, half from Euclid Beach. It even has a copy of SEGA's first EVER game, which is some type of submarine game I believe.
    Give me a location of this Marvelous Marvins. I wouldn't mind checking out. Theres a couple arcades downriver of Detroit, such as Red Baron in Allen Park(which was kinda weak), and one in the Detroiter Truck Stop in I-75(which is THE place to go for cheap DDR). But nothing really sweet in my immediate vicinity (Wizzards and Butterfly are both about 30 minutes away).
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We don't have any arcades actually. We have one place with games and rides called Sports Plus. Also has an ice skating rink, pool area, and laser tron, bowling. the problem is that NOBODY plays games. You have to pay 10 (get it back in vouchers) so tehy know your not just hanging out in there.

PS- In the last year I ahve gfone there 5 times and seen two fights. Tons of dirtbags there.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We don't have any arcades actually. We have one place with games and rides called Sports Plus. Also has an ice skating rink, pool area, and laser tron, bowling. the problem is that NOBODY plays games. You have to pay 10 (get it back in vouchers) so tehy know your not just hanging out in there.

PS- In the last year I ahve gfone there 5 times and seen two fights. Tons of dirtbags there.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The n closest arcade game to me near by would be 15 minutes away at a bowling alley...the nearest "dedicated" arcade would be at least 45 minutes...and that would be a Game Works.
    ProtoPages.net
    It's about the prototypes, baby!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The n closest arcade game to me near by would be 15 minutes away at a bowling alley...the nearest "dedicated" arcade would be at least 45 minutes...and that would be a Game Works.
    ProtoPages.net
    It's about the prototypes, baby!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubnb
    The arcade scene here is teh suck.
    Is this supposed to be funny? Is this some inside joke?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubnb
    The arcade scene here is teh suck.
    Is this supposed to be funny? Is this some inside joke?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

its excellent here, we have arcades with old machines, arcades with new machines, we also have gameworks, and the little theme parks that have arcades, overall there's a wide selection of arcades

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

its excellent here, we have arcades with old machines, arcades with new machines, we also have gameworks, and the little theme parks that have arcades, overall there's a wide selection of arcades

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade here (southern Cali) is actually doing good. The places that i go to, Nickel City and Family Fun Centers, have some good games. Nickel City has everything you could want in an arcade, from classics like Centipede and Donkey Kong to Marvel 2, Cvs2, DDRs (mainly Max's), and a crapload of other goodies including Virtua Tennis.
    I absolutely love Nickel City, mainly because all of the games that were made before 1990 are FREE. Its awesome. Plus the place is always packed with friends and new faces.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade here (southern Cali) is actually doing good. The places that i go to, Nickel City and Family Fun Centers, have some good games. Nickel City has everything you could want in an arcade, from classics like Centipede and Donkey Kong to Marvel 2, Cvs2, DDRs (mainly Max's), and a crapload of other goodies including Virtua Tennis.
    I absolutely love Nickel City, mainly because all of the games that were made before 1990 are FREE. Its awesome. Plus the place is always packed with friends and new faces.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="ubersaurus"]
    But nothing really sweet in my immediate vicinity (Wizzards and Butterfly are both about 30 minutes away).
    Butterfly? You mean the Van Dyke Entertainment Center. It hasn't been the 'Butterfly' since the 80's.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="ubersaurus"]
    But nothing really sweet in my immediate vicinity (Wizzards and Butterfly are both about 30 minutes away).
    Butterfly? You mean the Van Dyke Entertainment Center. It hasn't been the 'Butterfly' since the 80's.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What bums me out more than arcades dying is that you never see arcade machines anywhere else. There used to be arcade machines inside grocery stores, drug stores, laudromats, pizzarias, coney islands, some McDonalds, party stores, hotels/motels all had an arcade, all bowling alleys, ice cream parlors, barbershops. You used to see a variety of cool machines everywhere. You didn't have to seek them out in some hard to find, regional arcade that has a sparse selection of games they never change or do maintainence on.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What bums me out more than arcades dying is that you never see arcade machines anywhere else. There used to be arcade machines inside grocery stores, drug stores, laudromats, pizzarias, coney islands, some McDonalds, party stores, hotels/motels all had an arcade, all bowling alleys, ice cream parlors, barbershops. You used to see a variety of cool machines everywhere. You didn't have to seek them out in some hard to find, regional arcade that has a sparse selection of games they never change or do maintainence on.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by lostsage
    been up to denver, and they had an awesome arcade (or at least the best i've seen so far). dave and busters, but the price is insane. still have no problem dropping 50 bucks on games alone.
    Dave & Buster's is fun at first, especially since I happen to love driving games. (Full-scale, eight-up Daytona USA is one of my favorites.) However, I can only play so much Crazy Taxi or Silent Scope before I begin wishing for Galaga and Donkey Kong machines.

On your next trip to Colorado, I strongly recommend that you pay a visit to Arcade Amusements in Manitou Springs (just a few miles south and west of downtown Colorado Springs, and a little ways off I-25). I've probably mentioned them before on this board, but I'll mention them again because it's worth the time every time. Imagine everything from penny arcade machines, to nickel-dime '50s and '60s pinball and amusement machines, to the early classics like Asteroids and Pac-Man, up to more modern stuff like Road Riot 4WD or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fighters. There's gotta be at least 250-300 machines of all kinds, and it's only rarely that I see more than a few machines out of order.

Highly, highly recommended.

The sad part, though, is that it's about the only game in town anymore. My favorite haunt as a kid, Boardwalk USA (later McNulty's, now nothing at all), has been gone for quite some time. And the Aladdin's Castle or Namco arcades at either of the big malls have disappeared as well (though that was no big loss, as they switched to 50-cent and one-dollar machines wholeheartedly by at least the mid-1990s). So there's not much to speak of.

And in reference to an earlier question, the first game that I remember as being a truly profound waste of my gaming money (besides Dragon's Lair, which I still suck at) was Sega's Time Traveler. Remember that one -- the "hologram" machine? Drop in a dollar -- sometimes two! -- and get around two minutes of torturous boredom. That is, if you could see it at all...
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by lostsage
    been up to denver, and they had an awesome arcade (or at least the best i've seen so far). dave and busters, but the price is insane. still have no problem dropping 50 bucks on games alone.
    Dave & Buster's is fun at first, especially since I happen to love driving games. (Full-scale, eight-up Daytona USA is one of my favorites.) However, I can only play so much Crazy Taxi or Silent Scope before I begin wishing for Galaga and Donkey Kong machines.

On your next trip to Colorado, I strongly recommend that you pay a visit to Arcade Amusements in Manitou Springs (just a few miles south and west of downtown Colorado Springs, and a little ways off I-25). I've probably mentioned them before on this board, but I'll mention them again because it's worth the time every time. Imagine everything from penny arcade machines, to nickel-dime '50s and '60s pinball and amusement machines, to the early classics like Asteroids and Pac-Man, up to more modern stuff like Road Riot 4WD or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fighters. There's gotta be at least 250-300 machines of all kinds, and it's only rarely that I see more than a few machines out of order.

Highly, highly recommended.

The sad part, though, is that it's about the only game in town anymore. My favorite haunt as a kid, Boardwalk USA (later McNulty's, now nothing at all), has been gone for quite some time. And the Aladdin's Castle or Namco arcades at either of the big malls have disappeared as well (though that was no big loss, as they switched to 50-cent and one-dollar machines wholeheartedly by at least the mid-1990s). So there's not much to speak of.

And in reference to an earlier question, the first game that I remember as being a truly profound waste of my gaming money (besides Dragon's Lair, which I still suck at) was Sega's Time Traveler. Remember that one -- the "hologram" machine? Drop in a dollar -- sometimes two! -- and get around two minutes of torturous boredom. That is, if you could see it at all...
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

[quote="Zaxxon"]
    Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Are you sure? I coulda sworn the sign still said Butterfly on it. I dunno, everyone still calls it the Butterfly, so its all good.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

[quote="Zaxxon"]
    Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Are you sure? I coulda sworn the sign still said Butterfly on it. I dunno, everyone still calls it the Butterfly, so its all good.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives