Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was "The Game Doctor" and "Sushi-X"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who was "The Game Doctor" and "Sushi-X"?

I used to be a huge fan of VG magazines back in the 80īs and 90īs.....so i was wondering a few days ago if someone here would know who was the infamous "Game Doctor" that had great colums on VG&CE and later on EGM.....and the same thing about Sushi-x!!! Does anyone here know them in real life? or any details??

Thanks ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a few theories about Sushi-X. Especially because in EGP and then in Early EGM, there was a set of reviewers in every issue and a couple were nowhere to be seen when Sushi-X showed up. Unfortunately I'm in North Carolina now with no access to my mags. I'll check it out in January :P

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you guys seen the last issue of GameNOW? Sushi-X drops a hint that he may be retired. He proclaims (in his usual egotistical way), "Will you miss me? Of course! Will I come back? Probably not."
    It took over ten years, but he's finally gone. I'm glad... I always resented the fact that he replaced former EGM writer Jim Stockhausen. Sushi-X will always be, in my opinion, the defining moment when EGM jumped the shark.

JR

P.S. By the way, The Game Doctor is writing for Digital Press these days. Only now, he calls himself "Bill Kunkel".
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been told that in the early years of EGM, X was founder Steve Harris, but it's since been used by a variety of writers, an all-purpose pseudonym like Quartermann and OPM's Clish McLaven.

-- Z.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    I've been told that in the early years of EGM, X was founder Steve Harris, but it's since been used by a variety of writers, an all-purpose pseudonym like Quartermann and OPM's Clish McLaven.

-- Z.
    So let me get this straight... Steve Harris reviewed the same game twice in early issues of EGM? Viva la journalistic integrity!
    What always ticked me off about EGM was that Sushi-X had a nasty habit of sabotaging reviews for Genesis games, giving them a lower score than the other reviewers so the overall rating dropped, making them ineligible for EGM's Silver and Gold Awards. Now I know just who to blame for that.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    So let me get this straight... Steve Harris reviewed the same game twice in early issues of EGM? Viva la journalistic integrity!
    I would assume that in reviews with both X and Harris dishing out scores, X was given to another writer, but I've never had the opportunity to really grill Stockhausen or other EGM vets about exactly how the pseudo was used.

As for journalistic integrity in the game-magazine biz, back in the early '90s, there weren't none. EGM's first incarnation was a full-color fanzine, written by hardcore gamers with no concept of journalistic *anything*. (Much like Game Fan for most of its run.)

What always ticked me off about EGM was that Sushi-X had a nasty habit of sabotaging reviews for Genesis games, giving them a lower score than the other reviewers so the overall rating dropped, making them ineligible for EGM's Silver and Gold Awards.
    Really? I need to look through some moldy EGMs and see if I can detect the same pattern. Not that I'm doubting you at all; fanboyism continues to rage rampant even at the highest levels of the current crop of gaming magazines and websites.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

but it's since been used by a variety of writers, an all-purpose pseudonym like Quartermann and OPM's Clish McLaven.
    That's my guess. It's just a heading more than an actual "person".

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought those face-less reviews were pseudonyms for the regular writers who were trying to be funny. In the local newspaper, one of the football prognosticators is "T. Wes Brillick." The guy always picks against the local teams using some weird logic. It probably seems funny to nerdy sportswriters, but it's just a waste of space.

What always annoyed me about VG reviewers was their over-the-top efforts to be cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The earliest EGM's and EGP's didn't use a review crew but had a single page writeup for each game (I think it was called "Direct Hit!" when the game was good and thus was the "Direct Hit" review system) Man I wish I had those magazines right here as I'll list out every name that did a review.

... But then again, they may be right when they say it was just a pen-name for any reviewer

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

What always ticked me off about EGM was that Sushi-X had a nasty habit of sabotaging reviews for Genesis games
    I also remember a Gameboy review where he fully admitted that he liked the game, but that he took points off because the graphics were in black and white (this was before the GBC of course). I mean, what the hell is that? Be biased if you want, but at least try to fake like you're not. It was obvious in other reviews that he did not like the fact that the Gameboy was black and white, and he complained about it on a regular basis... but you're supposed to compare Gameboy games to other Gameboy games, not SNES stuff.

--Zero

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    What always ticked me off about EGM was that Sushi-X had a nasty habit of sabotaging reviews for Genesis games
    I also remember a Gameboy review where he fully admitted that he liked the game, but that he took points off because the graphics were in black and white (this was before the GBC of course). I mean, what the hell is that? Be biased if you want, but at least try to fake like you're not. It was obvious in other reviews that he did not like the fact that the Gameboy was black and white, and he complained about it on a regular basis... but you're supposed to compare Gameboy games to other Gameboy games, not SNES stuff.

--Zero
    The bias against the GB was because Harris was "in" with Atari, and loved the Lynx.

Which reminds me of a wonderful anecdote. If you have the July 1991 issue of GamePro, flip to "Atari Adventure," a Lynx advertorial produced by EGM/Sendai. Turn to the Tournament Cyberball spread and read the text on the left side, noting the first letter of each sentence. What's it spell?

-- Z.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro

--Zero
    Whatever ulterior motives he might've had, I like the fact that he didn't try to hide it. How annoying is it to see a good game get hammered for no apparent reason? If I know a reviewer's bias up-front, it's much easier to gleen the information I need out of the text... and not always have to wonder what the real story is...

Wasn't it Martin who was the same way with RPGs? Every review was, like, "I really don't like this kind of game, but...".

I'll have to find the exact text from one of the earlier issues I have (can't even remember the game), but Ed's review was something like, "I don't actually remember anything about this game." One line. I mean, it's 100% irresponsible to just blow off a game... but I almost appreciated the "no-review" vs. a potential "fluff-review".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to second the comment about all the Sega-Bashing on EGM. They always scored SNES games higher than Genesis`. Thats oen of the reasons i started reading more gamefan after 1993.....

Is Bill Kunkel really "The Game Doctor" That is SO cool!!! I always wished i could get one of this "prize packs" given away on every issue to the "best reader letter"!!!

About Sushi-X, he bashed gameboy`s screen on every single review of a winning game......and i agree that was kind of unfair, because it was almost impossible for a videogame-maker to make the grade and earn a golden or silver seal!!!!

Somtimes i wonder where all the former editors of EGM are at right now. I stopped buying the magazines in 1995, and started buying it again on 2003. All the current reviewers SUCK; i dont like EGM as it is right now!!

THanks again for your answers!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Game Doctor is now a regular poster over at the RetroGamingRadio forums.

-PongHit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how cool!!! Can you give me the URL please?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly
    how cool!!! Can you give me the URL please?
    RetroGamingRadio.com

-PongHit

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

You can find Mr. Kunkel's work right here on the Digital Press site. He posts here on occasion (usually when I point him to a thread like this one). Great guy with a ton of great stories.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7645

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every time I think I'm getting out... they pull me back in.

The actual story is that we wanted a Q&A column in the original EG and I wound up with the gig, but the Katz and Kunkel bylines were already way too numerous, so I created the Game Doctor and all the related stuff (such as the Game Nurse, and for anybody interested in seeing a photo of one of my all-time hottest Game Nurses, just go to http://www.gameheaven.nl/forum/index...art=0#lastPost and scroll).

Interestingly, in the early 90s when Arnie and I went to work for Steve Harris and re-created EG, part of our contract contained the acknowledgement that I was, indeed, The Game Doctor. Recently, a game magazine started using the name but I sent them a nice letter and they stopped.

Anyway, the Doc has appeared in just about every game magazine I've written for, including Sega Visions, CGR and, briefly, even EGM.

And now... he's ba-aaack. Running With Scissors, the notorious publisher of the POSTAL franchise has begun publishing a monthly e-mail newletter featuring the umpteenth revival of the Game Doctor. You can get info on how to receive it by visiting the gopostal.com site.

As for Sushi X, I would say that the speculation so far is largely correct. I believe it was mostly a house name that everybody contributed items to but I believe it was originally Steve and may have remained Steve for quite a while.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which reminds me of a wonderful anecdote. If you have the July 1991 issue of GamePro, flip to "Atari Adventure," a Lynx advertorial produced by EGM/Sendai. Turn to the Tournament Cyberball spread and read the text on the left side, noting the first letter of each sentence. What's it spell?

-- Z.[/quote]
    What does it spell?
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by gamergary
    If you have the July 1991 issue of GamePro, flip to "Atari Adventure," a Lynx advertorial produced by EGM/Sendai. Turn to the Tournament Cyberball spread and read the text on the left side, noting the first letter of each sentence. What's it spell?
    What does it spell?
    It spells "GAMEPRO SUCKS".

--Zero