Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: What's the Most You've Ever Paid for a Single Game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Around $45 (Final Fantasy II Used)
    How is that even possible? Have you ever bought a new game in your life (the majority which are over $50)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    How is that even possible? Have you ever bought a new game in your life (the majority which are over $50)?
    A local electronics store sells used DVD movies and video games. From time to time someone will drop in and sell older titles, some of which are hard to find around here. I love FF II. I don't regret paying the price I did. It had the box and manual also.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Popeye was awesome! I can't tell you how many quarters I dumped into that game. lol
    It is fun. I ended up with it because my wife's uncle had a bit to drink at a charity auction, and then hus wife said no. I helped him get his money back and a little more, and I got a great cabinet. Mother's Day 2013, actually. Good times.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My copy of Earthbound was $125 IIRC in December 2011.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was $75, shipped July 20, 2011.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

IIRC it was around $225 for the us laseractive release of Blue Chicago Blues.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

so would this apply to things like an arcade machine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

IIRC around $100-$125 for a complete Suikoden II. Back when I had more disposable income I was willing to nab $60+ PS1 and PS2 games without any real struggle if they came from good sources and were slightly nicer than the rest of the baying pack.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm surprised I never posted in this topic.

Thankfully, my most expensive haven't changed in well over a decade. I don't think I've ever spent more than $100 for a standard game release. Back when the SNES was still alive, I dropped $80 apiece for Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Kirby Super Star (and the cashier remarked that Kirby Super Star was a really good deal because it advertised "8 games in one!" haha). When I imported Star Ocean 3 when it first came out in Japan, that was $90-something, I believe, though that came with a few bonus preorder items.

When I include LEs, then my highest is the Japanese Valkyrie Profile 2 Artifact Box, which set me back around $225. I got skunked on that one because I had preordered it on NCSX for $150, but when it came out, they sent me an email saying their supplier was gouging them, so if I still wanted it, it would be twice as much. I said eff that, despite how strongly I wanted it, and I was able to get it for said $225 on eBay a few months later. The kicker is that I had originally preordered it on Play-Asia for just slightly more than $150, and if I had stuck with them, I would've had no problems. The Japanese LE for the first Valkyrie Profile was also pricey at $200. I got that years past its release, and the one I bought was the first ever I saw on eBay. The guy selling it had it way overpriced, so he acted like I was really lowballing him when I offered $200, but he accepted my offer anyway. I probably should have just waited, as more popped up on eBay over the years, and these days you could probably get one for around half what I paid.

Despite overpaying a little at times, I can't complain. I've gotten a lot of good deals. Like, you would think the two copies of Rondo of Blood for PC Engine I've bought would be among my most expensive, but I managed to get each for around $70. When I sold one, I got double back, so I effectively got my Rondo for free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Bought a Ninja Gaiden arcade cabinet for $50 if that counts. I rarely buy new games and rarely pay more than $5 for a used game...maybe $10 if it's something I really want.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    PSN
    TheGameCollector
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think I paid $250 for a CIB Tails Adventure for Game Gear then sold my sealed one to the second highest bidder against me of my open copy for $360. I think I bought the sealed copy on here for $150 or $200. I forget. It pays to leave sealed games sealed then sell them for more to buy an already open copy and other games with the profit IMO. I think Crusader of Centy for Genesis might have been $200 cart only too. So that's probably my runner up. If I love a game so much that I take the time to 100% it even though it's long, I feel like I've gotta have it no matter what. Unless it's just some short game that's really rare and I feel like it's not worth the money for the experience I had. Example - Bonk's Adventure for NES? That's not a $450 experience to me, especially when it's just a downport of an $18 TurboGrafx-16 title.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 01-19-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Brock Landers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hagane, for a lot

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Also surprised I skipped this thread back in the day. For a new game, maximum is probably just above $60, for maybe an N64 title or back in the 80's, NES games like Metroid or Zelda that were hard to find and being scalped! For a used game in my "collecting phase," I'm not sure but I've spent maybe 50 on some like N64 Conker or a few Saturn games. I can say with utmost certainly I've never paid more than $65 on ANY video game in my life. I just won't buy it if it's more than that.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I can't remember if I added to this thread back in the day or not, but I'll just go ahead and say that the highest I've paid was about $160 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, and around the same amount for Dead Space Ultra Limited Edition. I'd say 2 pretty good investments on my part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Also surprised I skipped this thread back in the day. For a new game, maximum is probably just above $60, for maybe an N64 title or back in the 80's.
    I remember reluctantly paying a bit over $80 (each) for Shining Force II, Phantasy Star IV, and Crusader of Centy when Sega jacked up the prices for new Genesis games - to add insult to injury they came in those crappy cardboard boxes instead of the nice (durable) clamshell ones.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!