Thread: The Mame Club! - This Week's Game Is "Strike Force"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Mame Club! - This Week's Game Is "Strike Force"

Since I have quite a busy day tomorrow, I figured I'd just post the game of the week tonight:

This week's game was chosen by IntvGene. The next person on the Mame Club list will get to choose their game the coming week and must PM me with the chosen title by Monday night at the very latest.

When writing your review, post it right here in the sticky topic and include any thoughts you have about the game. It would also be nice to let us know other aspects of the emulation. Here are some things that would be good to know:

Did you like/dislike the game? Why?
    What type of machine are you running it on? Specs?
    What version of Mame?
    How long did it take you to beat it? Score?

Again, YOU are the reviewer. Let us know anything and everything you think about the game!

This week's game can be downloaded here:

http://www.videogamearchive.com/emu/mame_request.htm

Club Members

Gamereviewgod
    Wisesalesman
    scooterb23
    ddockery
    AlanD
    digitalpress
    IntvGene
    NE146
    jonjandran
    Flack
    IGotTheDot
    zektor (me!)
    buttasuperb
    chadtower
    Sotenga
    Stark
    ECWSandmanECW
    christianscott27
    TripppsK
    vespertillio
    ghsqb
    TheSmirk
    anotherfluke
    BHvrd
    ManekiNeko
    MarioAllStar2600
    Ze_ro
    slip81
    Qbert

NE146 is next in line!

On a side note, I would like to wish all of the DP members a Very Merry Christmas...especially you guys and gals in the Emulation forum. Never have I encountered a nicer bunch of people, always willing to give each other a hand when needed. YOU make the forum what it is today. That being said, game on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Dang, this game is friggin' cool! Imagine, if you will, what Midway did to Asteroids with Blasteroids, seriously giving it a graphical and audio boost, also changine the gameplay a bit as well. Well, Strike Force is just like that, with Defender in place of Asteroids. The good news is that this game looks excellent, sounds excellent, and has all the frantic gameplay of Defender souped up tenfold! The bad news... I was never really good at Defender. Okay, so I sucked. I'm not that great at SF here either... but it is a sweet trip, incorporating much of the fubar Midway style humor that we've all grown to love in Smash TV. I like it when you meet a boss ship, and it says "WHOOOAAAA!!!!"

Great game, great game... oh, and Zektor, you're too kind. Feliz Navidad y una Prospero Ano Nuevo!!! Have a good one, man. I know I will.

P.S.: The "n" in "ano" is supposed to have a tilde over it...

EDIT: Did I just call Zektor "Tim?" That's Sniderman, dolt! Oopsie.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked this game, because it was quite a rare thing to find in the arcades, and a very nice addition to the Defender line. I also didn't have a lot of time to play anything lately because of all the Christmas madness/shopping.

But, I love this game, especially two-player. It also reminds me of Blasteroids.. and still has hints of Narc, or Smash TV. I think the effects and sounds are great. YO!

The game is so fast-paced too. Just keep moving from planet to planet, kicking ass. I love just firing missiles into ships, bases, aliens, you name it. It's a great game for MAME, just because (as Sotenga said) you can die rather easily. So, you can save a fortune playing this game on MAME.

Anyway, I know everyone will be busy over the next couple of days, so I'd like to extend my Christmas greets to all over the holidays, but if you haven't played this game yet, try and give it a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this game is wicked cool, after quite sometime of frantic playing, i was able to hone my flying skills and beat this game. and man that last boos ship, the spiney orb thing is insane! i love shooters though, and i'm glad to add this great one to my collection, thanks IntvGene! onece again playing on mame32 v0.77 on my pIV laptop. hight score 618,915, General, all planets saved, game beaten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'd like to make a corection, i don't think i saved all the planets, but i did save enough to get to the final boss and beat the game, after i posted my first responce to the game i got to thinking about the plaets saved screen, and remembered that they didn't go all the way around so i guess that means i didn't save them all, but just enough to beat the game. anyway, merry christmas to all, and to all a goodnight

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a little complicated for a fast paced horizontally scrolling shooter, but perhaps that's the point. I guess you really couldn't call it a true sequel to Defender without perplexing controls.
    Strike Force has some pretty good ideas , but it could have used a little streamlining before it was released. I don't want to have to fumble with fourty three thousand weapons when I could be concentrating on blasting those foul aliens out of the sky.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Wow, I can't believe I've never heard of this game before. I was very much into arcades about the time this game would have been out... Unfortunately, my slow computer (400MHz) has a hard time with Strike Force, so I get a rather poor framerate, which kind of ruins the experience for me. I only played for a very short time, but it seems quite fun. For some reason, it feels like Defender with a touch of Rampage World Tour and Total Carnage... For some reason, all of Midway's 90's games seem to blend together, having very similar looks and feels to them.

I'll have to give this game a more thorough playing later on.

Is this game actually meant to be a sequel to Defender and Stargate? KLOV lists it as such, but aside from the gameplay, is there any connection?

--Zero