Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Default Your opinions wanted!

A lot of you are familiar with the listing of import stores I have on the OPCFG. What I'm doing is trying to let people know which stores are worth shopping at and which aren't with the reader opinions that I have posted there.

Would any of you care to contribute your opinions on any of the stores I have listed there? jaydub has already, and if anyone else would, either PM them to me, email me, or just post them here. Once I have them I'll post them on the site.

Here's the list: http://www.geocities.com/opcfg/importstores.html

Thanks in advance!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

PlayAsia - nothing but helpful and well stocked. If there is a problem, they will let you know and ask what you wish to do. I cannot fault them at all for being importers, and their prices are very competitive as well.

VideoGameImports - good import site for UK people, usually good stock and reasonable prices. Again, usually helpful if problems occur.

LikSang - also helpful, generally now having to compete with PlayAsia and have improved their service since due to it. Also good for prices, and sometimes have stuff that PA don't get in. Postage is usually slightly cheaper through them too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Thanks Mayhem! Anyone else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to help, but...
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I don't have a lot to say but there are two places I frequently buy imports from.

National Console Support (www.ncsx.com) I've never had a bad experience with NCS and I've done quite a bit of business with them over the years. They've got a tremendous inventory and if you're into memorabilia they've always got some of that too. I think their online store needs a better engine, because if you're not sure about the title or want to browse discounted titles, you're out of luck. I can't recommend this business enough.

Video Game Depot (www.videogamedepot.com) Though I don't do as much business here as I used to, VGD doesn't seem to have lost a step with regards to their good pricing and availablity. I did more business with them when my buddy Tom Keller ran the place, but it's in good hands and also highly recommended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Thanks Joe!

GaijinPunch - yeah, kind of hard for you to help out here, isn't it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually did order a PAR from Lik Sang, and they were not only fast, but courteous. They had no problems shipping to Japan (and actually knew how to do it).

Other than that, I buy from Sega Direct, Amazon, and the stores here if I don't pre-order.

FYI -- Amazon has some good deals, and they DO ship internationally. They just don't have much English support.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    FYI -- Amazon has some good deals, and they DO ship internationally. They just don't have much English support.
    They don't ship video games or systems. Everything else looks like a go from my looking around and they do have that "in English" button. I'd hate for anything to go wrong tho'.
    What have you done America?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have dealt with Matt at Wolfgames for over 3 years. He has always been reliable. I find his prices on the high side but there are some deals to be had if you look hard enough. He also has more PC-FX stuff for sale than almost any site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I've added everyone's replies so far, except for Bighab's, which I'll probably add tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think everybody knows my story with Game Choice Club already: they might send you what you ordered, and they might not. Their relatively recent switch to a cart based system instead of email inquiries has the unfortunate effect of making it harder for you to pose questions about the condition of items (which is an absolute must if you wish to deal with these folks, as I have discovered), as they apparently spend no time updating their page except when they discover they need to change an item's status to "restock soon" after you ordered and paid for that item.

I've always maintained that Game Choice is honest, but that depends if you consider a webpage that doesn't accurately describe what they have for sale, how much it will cost, or if they have it in stock (they'll let you order, of course), staff is unable to understand pointed inquiries until their second reply (after you've already had a heart attack, that is), is inconsistent in providing quality goods despite high prices, and will often send multiple requests after they botch half of the transaction (this has happened to me on two separate occasions) for you to take something you didn't want in place of a higher priced item (with some overpriced games thrown in to make the difference, of course), to be indicative of an honest store.

Regard Game Choice as your last resort for the more difficult to find items listed. Expect to lose at least one item you bought in a lot, and a "free game of our [their] choice" (I was offered two in my last dealing with them as I had to wait two months for the item to ship out; I didn't get either free game) to make up for it. They may get better eventually, but right now they're a poor choice when you compare them to the many other sources of games available that beat their service in every way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I didn't know that, Ed... mind if I post that on the site?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well...be assured that most transactions won't go that badly, but I do feel that the setup of their site is an unnecessary impediment. I won't deal with them again, but if you're looking for a cheap source of games you can always check there...just make sure they're in :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I added Ed's and Bighab's comments to the site. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funk Buddy:

Thanks for the update. I suppose Amazon.co.jp started following their .com cousin and not send anything really good overseas (games, software, computer hardware). Bascially books and DVDs.

A friend of mine's wife is an exec there... I should ask her WTF is up w/ that.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Please do! I also hear there is an issue with the "Pay Now, Never Get It" technology (once featured in Penny-Arcade) technology.

Aah.. :P I've had no troubles with Amazon, and in fact the $800+ camera I use for photographic work was purchased from there and recieved very quickly. I would like to see Amazon.com pick up this business...long as it doesn't shut down jlist, I suppose :)