Thread: Major snes problem

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Major snes problem

Well I doubt theres any big solution to this but ill try. On the back of the snes where the power supply goes theres that fragile little plastic peg in the middle that hold the power supply in place. Well that peg broke off completely on one of my SNES systems and have no idea where it is and its about to fall of the other system. It still powers on but even the slightest movement of the power supply cord turns of the system. Is there any way to repair this while keeping the SNES at its regular price value? x_x

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Believe it or not, this is a common problem.

The only thing I can think of is replacing the actual port. Unfortunetly, these ports are not readily found, and the only fix I can think of is soldering another port onto it, and using a AC/DC adapter to power on the system, or finding a port that is similar enough to the SNES one at your local electronics store. (electronics being transistors, resistors, etc.. and not best buy like).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only way to repair it and retain it's value, is to solder in a replacement AC connector from another SNES. I do it all the time.

There is a repair that will allow it to work, but the unit will have a very decreased sell value. Once the middle plastic bit is gone , there should be 2 bits of metal sticking out. With needlenose pliers, pinch them together, and then gently attach the AC adapter. That will work better, and is easy. The resale value of an SNES like that is about $0. I use SNES's like that for parts, or if they are grey and in nice shape, I solder in replacement AC connectors.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thanks....

Thanks for the help. I don't exactly know what I'm gonna do yet lol. Those plastic things are so cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks for the warning, even if this wasn't your intention. I don't handle enough SNES's to see this problem as a trend, so I'm glad you spoke here about it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one interresting thing to meantion about the snes power supply is that the original adapter is a AC/AC adaptor but due to some flaw in design it dont work as it should on some consoles when running some games or speciall hardware like a superwildcard dx2 or yoshi's island. if you get flickering (or you can se it "walk" on the screen get a new powersupply a AC/DC supply 9-35V (this is the tolerance of the 7805 stabilizer thats inside of the snes) where middle peg should be negative (-) for NTSC consoles and possitive (+) for PAL consoles. (dont know why but nintendo made a faze shift due to some reason.)
    Broken? fix it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

forgot to meantion but on some US consoles the powerplug can be replaced with ease(where its blue) but in most cases you haveto carve it away inorder to fit a newone(gray or black).. (on the console)
    Broken? fix it.