Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Mario Sunshine first thoughts

First thoughts on the Japanese release of Mario Sunshine can be found here:
    http://www.gamers.com/feature/mariosunshine/index.jsp
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default mario

I have been researching this game since the day I bought my gamecube. The game looks fantastic. The still shots don't do it justice. One of the few games that I will pay full price for. Mario on a tropical island what more could anybody want?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know, I didn't think it was gonna be anything more than "another" Mario game, but after reading the preview in Game Informer last month I was surprised to hear that Nintendo had the balls to change the gameplay up, and I think the story line is very funny, and fresh.

Purists might be upset, but I feel that if a game is going to evolve, and succeed it must take on new aspects, and it seems as though Mario Sunshine has.

I always dig innovation, now let me go read that review, and see what others say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Decided to bring this topic back, now a couple of years later, to see how people feel about the game besides a first look.

I personally enjoy the game immensely, but not one I would play through more than once (But i am that way with most games). It's definitely a polished, well thought out game. THe puzzles tend to be more difficult then I have experienced in a Mario, the colors are just as vibrant as any previous release, and the controls are dead on accurate.

Although those damn "Stolen Waterpack" puzzles have pissed me off numerous nights.....

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really injoyed the game and played the living hell out of it (got everything). Maybe it wasn't the "new" mario game that people were hoping for but it was by no means a bad game.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was pretty abysmal. I found the levels to be more annoying than fun to negotiate, and I though the challenges were lame. Lame bosses, too.

That said, I enjoyed the jumping puzzles immensely, all two of them that were outside the special place. My favorite was in the second area, jumping around all those platforms high in the air. You could do it so many ways, that area was actually fun.

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    I really injoyed the game and played the living hell out of it (got everything). Maybe it wasn't the "new" mario game that people were hoping for but it was by no means a bad game.

yea....it definitely wasnt the new mario game i was hoping for....it just didnt do anything for me
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

To toss my two cents into the moldpile, I concur that it was pretty shitty. The game did absolutely nothing for me and the water-backpack-doohickey was just a terrible idea. If you want stilts, do stilts, if you want a super soaker, do a supersoaker, but if you want a gimmicky game, keep away from Mario. Way more annoying than fun and with some absolutely horrible camera angles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God the camera pissed me off in that game. But my favorite parts were where you acctually didn't have your fludd device. Just felt more natural that way. And I really enjoyed that challange of those parts.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i guess i'm one of the few that thought it was a superb game. Maybe its just because I played it quite a bit during my first week of college and I'm nostalgic. In order to get the most out of the game, you need to play it in a small room with a Tropical Breeze glade plug-in. Now thats a good idea...games that actually incorporate the sense of smell. They need a rotting zombie flesh glade plug-in so I can enjoy MS3 to the full extent.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I think that mkost of you just never had a chance to experience this game as I did: The second-best GCN game (Next to ANimal Crossing, of course). I normally don't get too excited over a game's release, but I was CRAZY over this game. I remember that the day it came out, school started and I Was like "Oh f*ck, I won't be able to play this game that much," but, somehow, I did.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine. I played that game exclusively for about 2 weeks whenever I had some spare time. There isn't a single thing about that game that I found to be even mildly unpleasant or poorly designed. I had plenty of fun playing it.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I actually quite enjoyed this game, and played it through twice already... however, the game IS lacking and could have been better. Here's some of the reasons I think a lot of people dislike it:
    • The water pack is gimmicky. Personally, I feel that the water pack should have been a powerup rather than a "have it all the time" thing... or perhaps multiple powerups that take it's place. I just don't equate "squirting water" with Mario, so it doesn't feel right.
    • You're not in the Mushroom Kingdom, and the enemies are all different. Where are the Goombas? Where are the Koopa Troopas? Instead we get these rather lame Isle Delfino characters instead. At least they kept Boo and the Piranha Plants.
    • Your task, through most of the game anyways, is to clean up the island... frankly, that seems more like work than simply collecting stars in Mario 64 was. I don't think it actually works out this way, since you actually do face real objectives rather than scrubbing the island, but it's first impressions, y'know?

All that sort of adds up and makes it feel like it's not REALLY a Mario game, but that we're just being told that it is. I also didn't like how the game wasn't anywhere near as non-linear as Mario 64 was. Remember in Mario 64 how you could get Stars before the game told you about them? Ever noticed that Super Mario Sunshine specifically prevents you from doing that?

I think in the end, I can say that it's a fun game on it's own... but when you put it with all the other Mario games, it looks rather poor in comparison. I really hope the Gamecube lasts long enough for Nintendo to release a REAL Mario game.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I rather enjoyed the game. It definitely wasn't as replayable as Mario 64...but it was by no means bad, and I had fun with it when I went through it.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hated it.

I grew tired of constantly "washing" everything. It was too repetitive (and slooow). I kept thinking to myself that instead of washing imaginary places, maybe I should go wash my car!

I DID like the old-school platforming levels. That was what the game should have been... no stupid water jet. Scratch Mario Sunshine and go replay Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie. Better yet: Spned the $20 on Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper!
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved every minute of it. I just hope Nintendo can get another Mario game out in less than 6 years.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked it. It was new, different, and fun. People are just wayt too tenacious towards the norm.
    ProtoPages.net
    It's about the prototypes, baby!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The things I loved about mario 64 where marios acrobatics. In mario sunshine some of the flips are taken out, which was really my main problem with it, but I never experianced the bad camera angels everone goes on about.

The fact that it wasnt in the mushroom kingdom and everything was different with new enemys and people around sort of made it feal like spyro or something like that.

My thoughts are that nintendo really did want to take a holiday from mario 64 and make a game that was different thats been there whole moto this generation. If they kept banging out mario 64 with different levels everyone would be on there back, I just think it was a nice little game to bridge the gap before the next revolutionary mario game.

anyone agree?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed the game alot, I can remember seing all the videos of game and those big walking things (that didnt appear in the final game) - Its clear that sunshine doesnt quite measure up to mario 64, but its a good game worth picking up -- especially with is new lower price tag (player's choice)
    - Mitch_Naz @ M.A -
    " Now you're playing with Power"
    www.freewebs.com/mitchs-arcade

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticParanoia
    I liked it. It was new, different, and fun. People are just wayt too tenacious towards the norm.
    Agreed. However, I will say that while I was fully enjoying that game, I did come home one night after a 12-hour shift to find my unemployed bastard of a roommate beating that game in front of me while I ate my dinner. I payed $60 for the fucking thing (not to mention it was my GC) and he's the one who gets to play it? Well, for some reason that pissed me off so much, and spoiled the game to the extent where I didn't want to play it anymore. Normall seeing the ending to a game is irrelevant to me, and if it's fun, I'll still play it all the way through. But SMS somehow didn't seem worth it after that point. Don't know why, but I feel it's sort of a sentiment shared by people in this thread.