Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making old consoles look like new!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Making old consoles look like new!

What is the best way, to make a console like a snes, psx, nes, with 10 years of use look like new?
    What is the best way to clean it? What is the best product to use?
    How do you take care of the cosmetic of your consoles?

Thanks!

regards!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm addicted to armor-all, especially on black consoles like the saturn, just keep it away from the CD area. spray it on a paper towel and then buff the hardware. its supposed to protect from UV damage and helps keep the dust down.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

409 and a toothbrush will clean almost anything. (almost)
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disassemble, and get out the soap and a toothbrush. The toothbrush is the key. Stuff looks like new when even the grooves are free of debris.

Armor All scares me... though. Too Shiny and slippery. Won't use it. YMMV. Worked great on the banana seat on my bike in 1979 though.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

use a dry toothbrush to break the dirt that you can, then use soap or an armor all wipe. the spray is dangerous. and if people don't already know....don't get armor all on the paint of your car, you just might get charged extra on your next body shop visit. it doesn't treat fresh paint very well

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say a toothbrush, a good rag and either Formula 409 or Fantastic. Both have worked wonders for me. Soap and water will only get you so far with dirt and stuff, but the 409 or Fantastic will take it right up if you let it sit for about 30 seconds then buff it nicely with a rag. After you are done tho you might want to wipe it down with a little soap and water. 409 and Fantastic tend to leave a sticky residue after wiping it off. But you'll get a great clean after using it. Very nice. Toothbrush for the creases and the such of course.

Frank

For sticker goo and the such, GooGone is a great choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    i'm addicted to armor-all, especially on black consoles like the saturn, just keep it away from the CD area. spray it on a paper towel and then buff the hardware. its supposed to protect from UV damage and helps keep the dust down.
    That's probably a good idea...if I had something in the light all the time I might just do that. Keep a lot of my stuff in the box, though.

For me, I just keep things dusted.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is formula 409? I've never heard of it. What does it do?

Regards!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to disassemble the console to it's bare bones, and then proceed to wash the exterior casing in soap and warm water, scrubbing if necessary. Same goes for controllers.

Circuit boards I just give a once over with a damp cloth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always used rubbing alcohol and water.

Not sure if it was a good idea, but it works *crosses fingers*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To the question about Formula 409, it's a spray bottled cleaning fluid. I know in the states it's available at like every supermarket and k-mart/wallmart deal. Not hard to fine. Goo-Gone can be a pain to get tho.

Frank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retro_player
    What is formula 409? I've never heard of it. What does it do?
    You've never heard of 409? It puts Grease on the run! That's what it does! Or so the commercials say.

For me, I find it easier to just put the whole thing in the dishwasher. Don't bother disassembling them, they're built waterproof. All of them. So it's safe. Just drop them in and set it on Warm Rinse.

I kid. I kid.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We had a large discussion about this on AA and it became a heated debate on whether to use Armor all or not. And sombody actually wrote an email to armor all the company and they told them not to use it on video game systems. If you ever spray that stuff on a piece of glass and then try to wipe it off you will see the "film" layer that is left on your system.

I just don't think it is a good idea to use it, I think it works great to just use an "all purpose" cleaner and leave it looking original.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i don't think armor all is going to damage the plastic, however it may damage the components......which is why i recommended the whipes versus the spray. and should anybody want to paint their console for fun or something. Definitly don't try it on a console you've ever touched with armor all.....it just won't work out......

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a topic like this that got locked over at AA. I will admit that I overspoke most of the time, but it was all in good fun.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewt...t=armor+armour

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well they do have some good points over there. I think you do have something against Armor all.

If you read further up in my post, I already mentioned all the bad things about armor all.....that aren't really that relevant to this topic but that's about the only thing wrong with it that I know of.

Nobody is cleaning any electronical components with armor all, and if they do, when they ruin they're collection is the day I will point and laugh. Meanwhile, If you're so scared of the build up from armor all, try Tuff Stuff, which only comes in a spray can if I remember right and I can't say that it would hurt any of the components in a system....But I would recommend cleaning it case only since it is a spray and it does foam up and there is no control. I've even gotten this stuff in my eye before and it didn't even burn....so it shouldn't hurt many things.

One last note on your fake shine ordeal. This really bothers me, because if you take something apart and clean it with soap and water......and you clean it good......If the plastic is 10+ years old it will look dried out. I've done this before. I bought a car where the interior was covered in filth. So i took out the panels and washed with soap and water......that's it. they all came out looking dry so you will have to use something to restore the finish. plastic deteriorates over time and armor all is a good defence because it moisturizes it. Maybe I didn't spell that right but when people use tire shine on their car, they're helping their tires because if you don't drive the car all the time and loose tread......the sidewall will be the next to go because it's dried out.

Armor all ruins paint in a heartbeat. I believe blindly the fact that armor all causes buildup because it's a spray on type thing and you don't rinse it off and It's oily yet to boot. There is nothing wrong with a buildup of shine on a console. If you think it's too shiny or too oily.....which does happen with armor because it's extremely oil. Get a dry cloth and whipe it around and you will notice some of the excess oil being lifted and it will look brand spanking new and be just a touch oily which can still be soaked up at a later date but only so much will come off at a time. Bash it personally if you like, but you're not going to convince everybody to stop using it...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

using armor with common sense on consoles is fine, some people in that AA thread really missed the point and went just a tab overboard.

what i'm wondering is how does armor alls claim of protecting against UV damage stand up? take for example the yellowish discolored SNES, some sources say thats smoke residue but i'm convinced its light damage. i have a super fami cart that has that yellowing only on the backside. would a coating of armor all prevent that?

i really like the armor all effect on colored plastics, i have a lot of handhelds and armor all has made them look brand new.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    take for example the yellowish discolored SNES, some sources say thats smoke residue but i'm convinced its light damage..
    Well, my SNES is 13 years old, been out in the open the whole time and is still its grey color. As are all my carts. Still gray.. well, except my DOOM cart which for some reason has turned bright red and.. oh, wait.. that's the actual color. Nevermind.

BTW, we're a non-smoking household. If that helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always heard that if you used Armor All in your car, that it would cause a white filmy buildup after a while.. but that you could use diluted vinegar to remove this. I guess you'd have to be doing it quite often to your systems for it to build up, eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[edit: nevermind]