Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making old consoles look like new!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Well, I have bought alot of stuff at flea markets, and you know how dirty some of those things can get.

One thing that I use all the time and it has worked great...

Magic Eraser.

It's a Mr. Clean product, and its just a white eraser looking sponge and it cleans all plastics perfectly.

It also got some marker off a label (but be careful it could remove some of the color off of label but it worked for me) Partly removes marker off of plastic, and removes most marks and dirt. Try it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something else to think about is a product called Plexus. it is a cleaner protectant that is used on Motorcycle plastic so there for its safe on plastic (most motorcycle plastic is ABS) it cleans and protects and its got a pleasant smell to boot. your local motorcycle shop should have it

As for the Armor All ive always heard that it dried plastic/rubber out and you had to keep on applying it to keep it looking good.

I talked to a friend of mine that was in the plastic Manufacturing business and he was saying that the yellowing is caused by the manufacturing process itself . if i remember right it was too much of a certain chemical. i have a SNES that has a perfectly good center but the rest of the top piece is discolored and the bottom piece is good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

As for the Scuffs and scratches... there is nothing to do for them. Really. Don't even think about using sandpaper!
    well.. if it's already mutilated with heavy scratches in one area (not a single scratch, but like it came in contact with concrete or something) then you can sand a small area so long as you have the tools to buff it afterwards. it will NEVER be perfect, but it can be an improve ment.

i got a copy of zelda for snes which had had god knows what done to the plastic just off the left side of the end lable, there were a bunch of deep scratches all in the same half a square inch or so, they had dirt in them and all. i used a craft knife to clean the dirt out of each scratch, then a dremel with an emery type bit to smooth it out as much as possible (work lightly, or the plastic will melt from heat caused by friction). once that was done, i had an ok surface which was roughed up, so i used the buffer bit with the brown polishy crap they give you with the dremel buffer (it comes out clear) to give it a smooth shiny finish.
    the result is by no means perfect, but it's FAR better than it was when i got it.

im not going to find the quote to go with it, but anyway:

yellowing is not caused by smoke, since smoke gets on the inside of the console as much as the outside, anything from a smokers household will prove it if you take a look at the brown gungy dust all over the pcb. yet the inside of yellowed snes's (mine at least) will still be perfectly grey.
    i still believe it is sunlight which does it, as i have a starfox cart which has a clear line on the back between grey and starting to yellow. the line matches up perfectly with the level of the cart slot in my game doctor sf3 which was in the same lot of stuff as the starfox cart when i got it. i have no doubt the cart was left in the sf3 with the back facing a source of sunlight.

there are sunlight rays which get stopped by various things, so depending on what rays damage plastic, theres a chance reflected sunlight could have a much more minor effect than direct sunlight (apart from the fact less light gets reflected overall), so while you might have a well sunlit room, it could be reflecting off a surface which absorbs the portion which is harmful to your snes, same goes for different types of glass, i know there are parts of sunlight which dont even get through regular glass.. not so say theyre the harmful ones, but the possibility is there that some types let through less harmful light. (this is all my own theory, dont quote it. but still, i know it's possible)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sunlight Im sure causes some of the yellowing, but in many/most SNES systems it is the bottom half that is completely yellowed, while the top is fine. Thats what many of mine are like. Ive actually never seen a yellow top. Plus the inside of the bottom was yellowed. Brittle too. Sunlight would fall on the top more if anything.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For hard to remove marker try using industrial style die makers ink remover. Usually comes in a spray can and it is toxic as hell. But i have watched it strip off dry paint on contact. Also works wonders for sharpie marks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Works for me

I use soap, water and an electric tooth brush to clean my consoles.
    To refurbish the shine, I use a quality furniture polish (Pledge) sprayed on a lint free rag.

For carts, I clean the markers with lighter fluid and a large pencil or pen eraser, (no eraser on the labels) then use the furniture polish, makes the carts and labels look better.
    Stupidity got us into this mess......why can't it get us out?
    -Will Rogers-

Play Fair, It's Only A Game!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Household Polish (Ideal for buffing up labels, removing stickiness)

Liquid Soda Crystals (On a wet face cloth)

Barkeep's Friend (Or whatever the hell its called - its a little abraisive and meant for cleaning brass etc but works wonders)

Isopropyl Alcohol (For cleaning contacts etc)

Thats about it!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly
    Household Polish (Ideal for buffing up labels, removing stickiness)

Liquid Soda Crystals (On a wet face cloth)

Barkeep's Friend (Or whatever the hell its called - its a little abraisive and meant for cleaning brass etc but works wonders)

Isopropyl Alcohol (For cleaning contacts etc)

Thats about it!!
    WOW! 2 year old thread comes to life lol.. i couldn't remember why this would show up in my posts, then i had a scan thru and saw my post about my black/custom snes, geez i nearly forgot i had that thing. Dang!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shudda sprayed painted it that same shade of gray so it would just never turn yellow again.