Thread: Samba De Amigo!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Samba De Amigo!!

I knew that would get some peoples attention. So anyways, until Donkey Konga come to the states, I need some game with interaction....DDR doesn't really intrigue me at the moment. So I was looking into getting some of these but every package on ebay seems to be weird....one has certain items and the others don't. Is it a fun game/accessory? It sure looks like it would be. But, I guess i'm asking for a fanboy(or girl) of Samba to step in and reassure me on my feelings

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

samba has to be played with maracas otherwise it's just not as fun.

the maracas should come with the following
    2 maracas
    1 sensor pad

the official sega maracas are harder to get since there were a limited release (think I read about a couple thousand units)

I have a third party maracas set and it works pretty well.

but it's definitely an investment, and I hope you realize you're getting a controller that is supported by 2 games only (samba de amigo, and samba de amigo 2000, which was only released in japan)

keep in mind I'm saying this and I have both martial beat 1 and 2.

hopefully donkey conga comes out stateside but I have a doubt in the back of my head that NOA isn't going to do it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

right now, i'm in the middle of bemani gaming addiction. because i don't have a lot of time to invest in other games. i like music/rythum based games cause i can get in, play for 30 minutes, then get out feeling like i've accomplished something (instead of leveling up my characters. don't get me wrong, i love a good rpg, but just don't have the time anymore).

samba de amigo is awesome because it's more fun to play than ddr (it's easier to get drunk people to pick up a pair of maracas than to step/trip on a ddr machine). i enjoy the music selections (ver. 2000 has more to chose from) and the fact that it's a monkey shaking it's groove thing.

if you get this, be sure to get the official samba de amigo maracas from sega. trust me on this one. had those cha cha maracas, and they sucked.

i'm wondering why your reasons for not liking DDR. if it's the feet thing, samba doesn't use feet. if it's the music... well, you're on your own there. the two main difference between DDR and Samba is the music and they way you interact with it. other than that, it's based on the same principal of keeping rthym, getting a high score (and when you get good, looking good while doing it).
    it's log
    it's log
    it's big
    it's heavy
    it's wood

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

That is what a complete Sega Maraca set should look like (box, paper work, vinyl mat, 2 maracas and sensor bar, plus 2 pairs of velco squares for joining the sensor bar and vinyl mat)

It's a fun game, way better with the maracas of course, but it is playable to some extent with the regular DC controller. The official Sega maracas can have the rattle part taken off incase you have to be quiet, but still want to play the game. When playing with the Maracas, you have a choice of picking your height so the sensors & game can adjust accordingly.

The only complaint that I have is when you really get into playing Samba, the cords from the maracas really get in the way and sometimes the sensors can be touchy when they 'flap' around.

If you like Latin and Ska (odd combo, I know) type music, then Samba is for you! Chumbawumba (sp.), Ricky Martin, the Macerana, and yes, even Reel Big Fish's rendition of Come on Eileen. You start off with like 6-8 tracks and then by doing the challenges and succeeding, you can unlock more music.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there is a local retailer that had a set of sega ones, just like the pictured one thanks to achika They were $100 and it was all brand new. Which I believe includes the original game. and they may even have the import to go with it.....seems a little steep..??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by nesuser2
    there is a local retailer that had a set of sega ones, just like the pictured one thanks to achika They were $100 and it was all brand new. Which I believe includes the original game. and they may even have the import to go with it.....seems a little steep..??
    I'd have to dig a little to find my reciept from like 3 years ago (yes I still have it :P ), but I believe the game and the maracas new all together would have been $140. The Sega Maracas usually command a high price on eBay. I think around $100 (game usually goes for around $10 by itself) I think Samba 2000 goes for $40-50 I want to say.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41054

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4313

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, the game was $39.99 at the time, and the maracas were usually $79.99, although I was able to get one set for $69.99. Depended on the store; I remember calling every Gamestop/EB in town the week of release and found a few in stock.. then forgot to cancel my EBGames.com order for maracas and got another set a week later. I kept both sets though.... figured it was a good investment.

Which reminds me, I really really need to set this game up and play it more often... it's such a blast, and TOTALLY worth the money!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

[Drunk]

Somewhere about a year ago something Achika said made me go out and find this game and controller. I would have to now say it's the highlight of my collection. Every personwho has seen it wants to play it. I have not even had it in my house for the last 2 months, because it is borrowed too much. and wheni plan on comming over to the handful of friends that i have., they ask me to bring it over.

It is that good, for people like me whink they can dance or actually know hey can, but refuse to do it. I love this game. best thing in my collection......or at least the most fun.

hands down.

[/drunk]

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

chunky, you were actually the one that got me interested in them. When you mentioned some trades you would accept a while back....it got me thinking. I hadn't heard of them or seen them anywhere except the local game store I mentioned previously. The box looked so cool......but $100 for a cool box isn't my style.....nope, sure isn't

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

well all i can say is get this game.

I do not know how 3rd party controllers work(how good they work i mean) cuz i was always told to get the sega ones and thats that.

yeah it's pricey, but i think it's worth it.

if anything, i get it back, i will let you borrow it and you see for yourself!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm hoping to have one arrive by saturday......so it can sit there for a year until i have time

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only problem with Samba de Amigo is that you cannot be an expert on this game. The hardest songs on hard is possible to complete with a little luck. On Super hard mode it's really impossible. And why? The maracas doesn't respond quick enough. I have tried both the original and third party ones. I was really good at this game and I really enjoyed it but I stopped play just because of this. But what can one expect going from a $4000 Arcade unit to a $100 home version.

So enjoy while you can. Don't be too good at this game.

/C