Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Barcode Battler

Anyone have any experience with this? I busted mine out this weekend and discovered that it's a pretty interesting little electronic toy, kinda like a pre-Pokemon card battle system. I didn't have much luck with the barcodes that I found (as opposed to the ones that came with the game). A can of string beans produced a really weak character, and three other labels I had wouldn't even scan in properly. I've actually got two different Barcode Battler models (one by Tomy and one by Epoch).

If you own one or have played it, I'd like to hear your experiences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say I have ever played one myself, but it seems like an interesting device. They actually made a game for the SFC that supported it:

http://snescentral.edgeemu.com/perip...ler/index.html
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one..

Kwik save pasta... teh 0wn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Barcode Battler

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    A can of string beans produced a really weak character

Now that's just funny. Now this was Japanese-only, right? You mentioned you have two models, which I also find strange...it's strange enough that one company would make this, but two...

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Wow, I was just reeading an old issue of Gamefan which had an advertisement for one of them 5 minutes before this thread was posted....Talk about timing.....

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always wanted one of these things so Bad!

I remember seeing that advert for EB selling them a long time ago (or was it babedges?). Anyway, there was also an attachment for the original GB called Barcode Boy, same idea, just used the GB as the interface.

I still see them go on ebay for pretty cheap. came REAL close to getting one on myriad ocasions, but always missed the auction or wasnt in the impulse purchase mood.

Very cool idea. They actually updated the product within like the last year or so in the US, the product was called SCANNERZ, or something like that. It was much better b/c you didnt have to slide the bardcore a-la credit card machine, it had a red lazer reader that you could scan the code with, so you can use that can of Cow Tongue and not ruin the label for re-sell value! (ha).
    But I passed up on those too. If they encorporated the thing into a watch and had infra-red communication between two watches for battles, then I would be all about battling my 12 year old bro.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: Barcode Battler

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Now this was Japanese-only, right? You mentioned you have two models, which I also find strange...it's strange enough that one company would make this, but two...
    The two I own were both manufactured and distributed in the United States. I believe the Tomy brand came first (it cam in a darker blue box), as early as 1992. The Epoch one came later, my best guess is sometime around late 1994 since I was working part-time at EB that holiday season and they were new to the store. The units themselves appear identical.

There is also a Barcode Battler II, not exactly sure where that was manufactured as I don't own one, but I do know that it's clearly printed on the machine as Barcode Battler II.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Please take mine

I have a spare GERMAN one that is complete in box. Someone please buy it from me. No reasonable offer over $10 refused (not including shipping, which will be at cost based on your location by USPS parcel or priority.)

I like handhelds and table tops, but I'm trying to stick to ones I'm kind of excited about, and ones that don't require me to hold cans of ravioli in one hand to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I read a long review of the Barcode Battler a while back. The reviewer was far from impressed, particularly with the lame "story" with which the game was to be used.

Here we are. Still the first hit on Google.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Woah, that's pretty freaky!
    Just this evening I was digging through some boxes of stuff, looking for non-essential bits to stick on eBay to help my dismal post-Christmas financial state, and my BB was one of the things I pulled out. First time I've seen it in years.

I bet I've got you all beat as far as rare variants go though - mine is a German version (also by Tomy), but each and every card has an English translation stuck over the top of it, as does the back of the box.
    Obviously it was such a big hit in the UK that supplies ran out and emergency rations were flown in from the continent in case of rampant gamers rioting in the streets when couldn't get their barcode fix.
    So, shall we start the bidding at £50?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anagrama mine is the same..

U can expect about £3 on ebay if that mate :P I already checked some time ago for mine..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly
    anagrama mine is the same..
    Curses...
    It does seem odd though, because I know that standard all-English versions were also released here.

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly
    U can expect about £3 on ebay if that mate :P I already checked some time ago for mine..
    Yeah, I won't be expecting much. There's a recent completed one that went for £7.50, and I'd be happy with that. Times are lean indeed...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Interesting, I just double-checked my two units.

Looks like Tomy was a distributor/publisher. Epoch is the creator/developer. The later box style was distributed by Irwin.

*shrug*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Barcode Battler - Technical Examniation

I used to own three of these (all the same model), but I managed to sell one.

Anyway, I am currently attempting to play through the game, and see what makes this machine tick, and how it converts barcodes into characters/power-ups.

In this way, I hope to create some sort of starting point for other BCB enthusiasts who wish to create their own barcode characters to beat the game.

I'll add a section for it on my website when I have beaten Era 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember blowing $50 on back in ~93 and playing the hell out of it, even though it was pretty cheesy.

I played enough over the course of a few months that my cards were starting to fray and get messed up, so i laminated them. Woops. Turns out the Barcode Battler wouldn't read them then. Ever since I just haven't touched it.

Wouldn't really call it one of the better game / system purchases I ever made

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what kind of game do you actualy get to play?

is it a fighting game?
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    I always wanted one of these things so Bad!

I remember seeing that advert for EB selling them a long time ago (or was it babedges?). Anyway, there was also an attachment for the original GB called Barcode Boy, same idea, just used the GB as the interface.

I still see them go on ebay for pretty cheap. came REAL close to getting one on myriad ocasions, but always missed the auction or wasnt in the impulse purchase mood.

Very cool idea. They actually updated the product within like the last year or so in the US, the product was called SCANNERZ, or something like that. It was much better b/c you didnt have to slide the bardcore a-la credit card machine, it had a red lazer reader that you could scan the code with, so you can use that can of Cow Tongue and not ruin the label for re-sell value! (ha).
    But I passed up on those too. If they encorporated the thing into a watch and had infra-red communication between two watches for battles, then I would be all about battling my 12 year old bro.

Back when those updated ones called Scannerz came out my parents got me one for Christmas. It was pretty cool, other than the fact that we never got anything scanned off it, not ONE thing. Pretty sad though, because I wanted it to work, even though i didn't ask for it. We ended up exchanging it for something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    what kind of game do you actualy get to play?

is it a fighting game?
    it was basically a number-based, turn-based, fighting game. The pokemon comparison is pretty good, but imagine if instead of pictures, you just had numbers.

Much like pokemon, a braindead aborted fetus could play it, but it was still addictive because of the "gotta steal all the UPCs I can!" syndrome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There was a Jurassic Park-themed unit somewhat more recently, was there not?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default BCB

I have defeated Era 1 and started a new game without saving only to find the enemy stats change when a different combination of characters is used.

However, it appears that there are only four levels of difficulty, and nine combinations of characters.

My "game guide" won't go into the complexities of what happens if you use barcodes cut from other products until I understand the machine a bit better.

However, given the lack of presence of the BCB on the WWW, it looks like nobody cares.