Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one too embarassed to go Dumpster Diving?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Am I the only one too embarassed to go Dumpster Diving?

It seems that most of you here go dumpster diving, I know that you can really get some good stuff but I'm just too embarassed to go digging through dumpsters!

I really have to respect you guys who actually do this, I love my hobby of game collecting with a huge passion, but I just cant dig through dumpsters! Those of you who do it must love it more than I do.

Anyone else feel this way?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I haven't yet had much desire to, but I get the feeling that once an old friend of mine moves back in town in a few weeks, we may end up doing it. Some of the stuff you guys here that DD get makes me want to try it at least a few times to see how it goes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im good, i dont want people to look at me like I do the mexies that dumpster dive out at my work.
    Wolverine

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do it all the time. I wouldn't do it during the day cause its a pretty embarasing thing to do. At night nobody sees me though.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't think anyone really did it and much less admit to it. But i just read a post today about it and thought it was pritty funny. But if you were going to do it, gamespot or toys r us would be the right place to start.
    "...I felt raised, I felt LIFTED".

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you talk about dumpster diving, are you talking about finding games or promotional material, or what? I got a Mario Kart standee from the dumpster by GameCrazy, but the mangager usually just holds these things in the back for me.
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There ain't no shame in my game!

Honestly, though, the find I just posted has been the most fruitful dumpster find for me yet. Also, the dumpster was in an open trash area between the Gamecrazy and some tire place, so I don't think anyone was looking. It was 1 o' clock in the afternoon, but it was about to rain, so it was up to me to save those cases! Hey, I got a Mario Kart Double Dash pin number for free, so it was completely worth it.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The dumpsters at my mall are the ones that can compact the trash so I doub tI can go through it....plus am embrassed a bit. *blush*
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woah dumpster diving, sounds bloody ace!
    Never thought of that!

Generally backs of shops where they put the rubbish are closed off (im in UK)
    lol

How does rubbish disposal work in america? can anyone enlighten me, I have a tale to tell soon...

Does all your rubbish go to one central location? do people have to drive there to drop large lots of rubbish off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

May I relate to a humorous anecdote here? I haven't ever dumpster dived, but my mom did once... probably not going to do it again. She was rooting through the trash, and not too far away was this psycho bitch just screaming at her. I believe she was tossing profanities at my poor mother. Either that was the crazy lady's own trash, or she was eyeing something that my mom was. Anyway, mom's probably not going to go through the local wastebaskets for a long time. I probably won't either. I keep getting the feeling that a cop will come out of nowhere, and I have a clean police record so far. That, and if I reach too far in, I'll most likely discover something green, touch it, and become a pile of bones.

Seriously, I'm not going for the double D anytime soon.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't do it for two reason. 1) I feel wierd doing it. 2) All the game stores I can think of are share a dumpster with a food place and they can throw away some nasty shit.

I have looked on top of the trash pile though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't dive into a dumpster but I in my summer job I dismantle cars in my city's wreckers' yard. Near, like 20 meters from it is a recycle center which collects pretty much everything from electronics to paints to batteries to plastic, you name it.
    Every now and then, ignorant people bring in their old videogames that "their son doesn't use anymore". We made a deal with the nice man in the center that I'll dismantle whatever his old Opel needs and he gives me me all the old computer and videogames he receives.

Well, it works like magic, last summer I got about 50 NES games, some MD games, a Dragon32 computer and a lot Commodore stuff among others.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dumpster diving has yielded the following:

HP Laserjet 4 printer
    Nokia 17" monitor w/ built in speakers
    Gateway Profile 3 Computer w/ PIII 850 mhz

All needed a little work, but are just fine now. I would dive in a heartbeat.
    Just remeber folks, dirt washes off, and pride isn't hurt if nobody sees you.

chaoticjelly - the way that it works is that most retail places, and apartment complexes, have huge metal dumpsters that are emptied once, maybe twice a week. Most have a hinged door on top, but the easy ones have a sliding door on the side that permits easy access. All of my stuff came from apartment complexes. The best place & time to dive is around college campuses right after the semester ends. Students want to get the hell home, and are too lazy to pack up a lot of stuff.
    wha?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My buddies and I used to dumpster dive all the time. We have found lots of junk and some good stuff. We were talking about going again this weekend. For free stuff I don't mind getting a little dirty. Also if you go take some really tuff work gloves. Don't dive in dumpsters with stores beside restaurants sometimes they share dumpsters.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

I do it all the time....not the sissy way of leaning over and picking stuff out....I mean put 1 foot on the top and up adn over. Our Blockbusters and game stores have no food places nearby so the dumpsters are perfectly clean.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been thinking about "taking the plunge". Can anyone brief me on the legality issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    I've been thinking about "taking the plunge". Can anyone brief me on the legality issues?
    If you get caught by a cop or a rent-a-cop......they will probably just laugh at you. Seriously what are they going to do?

Just be truthful, say you are a video game collector, some stuff these stores throw out is worthless to most people, but I also collect books and boxes and promo items. I figure instead of it going to the landfill, I might as well take it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My family and I dumpster dove once a looonnnnng time ago. However someone must have spotted us (even though it was dark) as there was grafitti spray painted on a wall at mobile home park we lived at broadcasting our little excursion.

Would I do it again? There isn't anything around where I live that would throw away good stuff and most places have locks on the dumpsters. One time recently I *almost* snagged a Mac Performa from the Salvation Army dump area but if it didn't work (it was an all-in-one) it would have been a waste of my time.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Heck I'm a bit embrassed to ask at the store if they had any extra stuff right now.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to go, but if my father saw me in a dumpster...But I suppose I should just ask gamestop to call me up when they get stuff they want to throw away
    N1 Video Games

^ My gaming website

Systems I own:
    PS2, PSX, 3DO, SNES, NES, Genesis, 32X, Atari 2600, Saturn, VIC-20, C64, Odyssey 300, Pong Sports IV, N64, GBA, TRS-80 CoCo 2.