Thread: You know whats sad?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default You know whats sad?

I already have the Metal Slug 5 rom. And SS5, SvC, and I'm sure KoF03 will be released soon if not already. Yea yea, I'm the one who made a big stink about roms especially for newer games, but you know what, unlike most, I gave SNK Playmore money for SS5, and would have SvC if the idiots would have released it on MVS (I still have it preordered). Plus, I gotta say Slug 5 is pretty cool, may have to get the MVS quicker than I originally intended. I will be buying it on MVS.

Anyways, I hate to say this, but SNK really needs to get off their asses and let the MVS die, and move on to something bigger and better. Man I really hate saying that. The MVS is awesome, but when your games are getting dumped right around the time of release, you have a serious problem. There's already boots of all 3 games on ebay. Which is very bad. For both SNK and the blind consumer who doesn't know better and thinks they're getting the real deal.

To continue rambling, I think it would be damn sweet if a whole new 2D arcade powerhouse system was created and SNK, Capcom, Sammy, and anyone who wanted to develop for it could. Either seperately or together. Would make for a whole new round of outstanding fighters, shooters, beat em ups, whatever. And off that creates a round of ports for the mainstream systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: You know whats sad?

I don't know if this is correct or just a rumor, but I've read Atomiswave is the next system.

That said, I like my Neo Geo AES, and there's very little chance of getting a home Atomiswave system :(

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I hate to say this but if they do make a new system it will more than likely have 3d graphics instead. Which would be ok if they can port their franchises over without any loss in quality.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, I agree butta. Not only that but the prices keep increasing on the NEO new releases, so it's time that they throw in the towel. The switch to PCB is stupid, it hasn't slowed ROM dumpers one iota.

I don't think SNKP will switch to new hardware, I believe they will just become a 3rd party software company, as their support for the PS2 has proved they have a serious interest in that console.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atomiswave is the next MVS. Cartridge format, very inexpensive (they said that they could charge $0.10 a game and still turn a nice profit). It has internet capabilities (I think for rankings; no online play).

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the problem with switching systems is that the new system would also be dumped.

If they dumped & hacked the PS2 and XBOX just weeks after release, what would stop someone from doing the same for the next Neo?

If & when SNK would move on, it would be because of them believing that they've done all they could with the neo, and not because of piracy.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you seen romz of Atomiswave or CPS3 games?

I haven't.

Anyways, Atomiswave would be cool for the next 2D system of choice, seems logical. Trieu over at snk-capcom.com posted a message a little while ago, saying that something huge was going down in 2D gaming over the next year. Whether that's a merger or some sort (Capcom and SNK merging ), or SNK moving on to new hardware, I dunno. We shall see, and hopefully it'll be a good year.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    (Capcom and SNK merging )
    Oh man. I could only imagine that would bring SNK's offerings even closer to consumer attention, given Capcom's exposure and permeation in several platforms.

I know little in the way of current arcade scenes and markets, but conject that this Atomiswave system isn't bootlegged so much because it's relatively new, and there isn't a market for it yet. Like how there are homes with MVS systems in them now, so forth, etc. Just my conjecture there.

It'd take some crazy ass Gamecube tiny disk format to really hinder piracy.

Speaking of which, why the hell do new AES Neo Geo carts still cost so much? I figure somehow the cost of materials today compared to back then has to be much lower, especially if they're still using the same chips as older carts.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

If they are indeed using the same chips as before, then the price would go up over the long run, due to scarcity. For example, sdram is now becoming more expensive while it's successor, DDR memory, is becoming cheaper. This is because factories are producing much less sdram...less supply=higher price.

Hey, just a guess...

-ROb
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    I know little in the way of current arcade scenes and markets, but conject that this Atomiswave system isn't bootlegged so much because it's relatively new, and there isn't a market for it yet. Like how there are homes with MVS systems in them now, so forth, etc. Just my conjecture there.

It'd take some crazy ass Gamecube tiny disk format to really hinder piracy.
    Well CPS3 still isn't emulated, so not all systems are easy to crack. I'd guess that it won't be simple as 123 to crack the Atomiswave, and will actually take a lot of work and a lot of time.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One does not need to emulate a system in order to pirate it..

Around me I can name at least 10 stores that sell copied PS2 games and can easily install a mod chip in your system to play those games.

The same can be said about CPS3... or better yet, other cart based system where you still use the same base, but copy the carts.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I haven't seen any pirated CPS3 carts either.

But MVS, roms are available right away, and so are the boots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does nobody around here know what the Atomiswave is? First off, it's been around for a while, as Guilty Gear first appeared on this system, and more recently Dolphin Blue. Here is an Atomiswave system.

It's a cartridge based system, so right there is one deterrent to piracy, and the ROMs (perhaps more along the lines of a Hard Drive or SanDisk, actually) are too big for your average computer user to download them...nevermind the fact that the system is advanced enough that people won't be emulating it for a while (most people can't emulate Cruisin' USA, never mind this). As I see it, pretty much all that SNK and Sammy need to do is keep ahead of the "emulation curve" of using systems that can be emulated/pirated easily. SNK should've made the change a while ago, but we'll forgive them as we wouldn't have seen these latest games on the Neo Geo :D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

The original SNK died in 2001, and I'm crying for it. I didn't become an SNK fan until 2002, so I'm feeling it for not having supported them in their glory days.

You know what? I'm not downloading ANY roms by them that have been made in 2001 and later. Besides, I know where to play SSV, and I'll keep slamming my quarters into the machine until I beat Gaoh, and I'll have already given SNKP a heap big amount of cash by then, judging by how difficult their final bosses all are!

But I'd also like to see them switch their hardware to something a little more complex to decode. Atomiswave seems pretty sweet to me... Samurai Shodown with Guilty Gear graphics... dude.

That's besides the point. I hope that SNKP will find some way to prevent this piracy before they go under like the old company did.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp