Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default Oh, for the love of god, go away

http://www.xbox.com/community/sunny-world.htm?det=1

Maybe MS should concentrate on making decent games, selling systems in Japan and Europe, and not building their entire system around Halo, and stop ripping off Genesis ads from the early 90s.

HAR HAR HAR SO FUNNY. XBox - Not for any selfrespecting human being..

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best is MS announced today that you will have to pay hundreds of Dollars more if you want network security. You no longer get security for free.

The company "may offer new security abilities on a paid basis," Microsoft Chief Technical Officer Craig Mundie said here at this week's RSA Conference on tech security. Such a possibility is one of many under consideration within Microsoft's security business unit, recently set up under its own vice president, Mike Nash. The idea is still only hypothetical, but it represents an acknowledgement that Microsoft sees security not only as a necessary condition to reassure existing and future customers, but also as a potential source of revenue.

Asked why it has taken Microsoft 25 years to put secure computing at the forefront of its efforts, he said it's "because customers wouldn't pay for it until recently
    Correct me if I am wrong, but 95% of the reason we are vulnerable is BECAUSE of their products. Sheesh.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-961351.html?tag=cd_mh
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    Correct me if I am wrong, but 95% of the reason we are vulnerable is BECAUSE of their products. Sheesh.
    *yawn* What else is new? :lol: :lol:
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New Rule. NO ONE, I mean ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, gets to complain about microsoft unless they're running Linux. If you have ANY Microsoft product (Including Linux emulated) on your computer, you can't complain about microsoft.

Sound reasonable? I think so.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think we should have an add-on to that rule:

If you run a microsoft product that you did not pay for, and are forced to use it (e.g. for work) then you are still allowed to complain.

Lets not forget that there are many technologies out there, that corporate america has created which FORCE users into other corporate products in order to use it!

a good example of this is DVD playback!!!

In order to have any MPEG-2 decoder, you must license the MPEG-2 technology from the MPEG group for CRAZY amounts of $$$!!! Hence why places like China went out of there way and invented VCD & SVCD!

I got go into many other technologies that are not made by microsoft, but MS positioned themselves (one way or another) that you are forced into it!

LK

(Proud AIX admin, Linux Kernel Developer, and all time NES FAN!)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh...

Security problems aside, Word is ten times better than anything else, Internet Explorer blew the doors off of Netscape, Excel pushed spreadsheets so far forward and Powerpoint is unparalleled.

For all the Microsoft problems, they've made a lot of great programs. Enough with the bashing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Despite constant rebuttals to the now-beaten-to-a-fine-powder dead horse xbox/M$/Bill Gates suX0rz arguments, it appears that some people have subscribed to the George W. Bush school of argumentative reasoning. I should just make a webpage and refer people to it whenever this comes up...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NO ONE, I mean ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, gets to complain about microsoft unless they're running Linux.
    ....errr, What if we're running Solaris?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default Re:

I'll complain about Microsoft bc they made an incredibly childish flash video. And that their console system is dead in the water. Nyeh.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    Security problems aside,
    Why set that aside? That's a HUGE issue!

Word is ten times better than anything else,
    Nisus Writer? Star Office? Hell, PC Write?

Internet Explorer blew the doors off of Netscape,
    Opera?

Excel pushed spreadsheets so far forward
    Further than Lotus 1-2-3?

and Powerpoint is unparalleled.
    I admit I don't know any products under this range, but I can tell you that there are people out there who believe that Powerpoint has single-handedly down-graded corporate presentations by allowing people to throw together cute animations that say nothing rather than presenting real info in black & white. But this is a societal issue, not a software one.

For all the Microsoft problems, they've made a lot of great programs. Enough with the bashing.
    No, not enough. If they could make their programs great (1) on the first revision, (2) without bugs and security holes (not to mention refusing to acknowledge many of them until the complaints reach a certain level) and (3) without leeching off of real innovation, then I might stop bashing.

Face it, Microsoft as an entity deserves HEAPS of derision. If a certain program actually does a lot of good and does it well (for instance, I have very few gripes about SQL Server & its Query Analyzer), than I'll give props to that program, but I won't lay off a ten ton gorilla that doesn't mind bullying its way around the economy and shitting on its competitors and customers alike the rest of the time.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    The best is MS announced today that you will have to pay hundreds of Dollars more if you want network security. You no longer get security for free.

The company "may offer new security abilities on a paid basis," Microsoft Chief Technical Officer Craig Mundie said here at this week's RSA Conference on tech security. Such a possibility is one of many under consideration within Microsoft's security business unit, recently set up under its own vice president, Mike Nash. The idea is still only hypothetical, but it represents an acknowledgement that Microsoft sees security not only as a necessary condition to reassure existing and future customers, but also as a potential source of revenue.

Asked why it has taken Microsoft 25 years to put secure computing at the forefront of its efforts, he said it's "because customers wouldn't pay for it until recently
    Yes, but now you can see why -- they're turning security holes into a new revenue stream.

(I'm not saying they made their code buggy on purpose to create this revenue stream mind you, just that they're assholes enough to take advantage of it rather than do the correct thing and fix the problems in the first place).
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow that flash movie was real dull that music gets on you after awhile
    my blt drive on my computer just went awol and i got this big project due tomorrow for mr. kawasaki and if i don't get it in he's gonna ask me to commit harry carey.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    New Rule. NO ONE, I mean ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, gets to complain about microsoft unless they're running Linux. If you have ANY Microsoft product (Including Linux emulated) on your computer, you can't complain about microsoft.

Sound reasonable? I think so.
    This argument is tired and full of holes. It would make sense only if Microsoft was actually providing a service or helping advance the state personal computers in some way by monopolizing. Microsoft is not making anyone's life easier by being the only (unstable) choice avaliable for most people. Do you think people use Windows because they enjoy getting the blue screen of death 3 times a day? The fact is it's very difficult for anyone but those who have quite a bit of experience with computers to set up stable alternate operating systems. It isn't impossible to be nearly computer illiterate and also aware of bad business in that industry, you know. If anything, your pointing out the fact that most regular joes have to use Microsoft software to run their computers is support for those who criticize their monopolistic business practices, not proof that they are in any way pioneers that the computer industry could not exist without.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Maybe we need a forum just for MS bitching.

I'm personally sick of reading/hearing about it. For every fault people find in MS, I'm sure you can find another company, one you have no problems with, doing the exact same thing.

My company charges clients for bug fixes.

IBM/Lotus released an extremely buggy Notes 5 way before they should have.

Go ahead and choose to use the competiton. But don't justify your choice by slamming MS. It's lame. Justify your choice by extolling the virtues of 1-2-3 or Linux. I don't like their practices either, but I like Excel, Explorer, and Xbox. And I'll keep using them, thank you very much.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

@NatureBoy, wow, here I thought I was the only one who felt that way!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Wow, did I land on Slashdot by mistake?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    New Rule. NO ONE, I mean ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, gets to complain about microsoft unless they're running Linux.
    I am so tired of people saying "Linux, Linux, Linux!" Good God people... an operating system that requires a degree in Computer Science is NOT a solution. I can just imagine what would happen if my computer illiterate brother tried to use Linux... He'd have a paperweight instead of a computer.

It's not enough for an operating system to work. It has to be easy to use too... so the average idiot who drives a car can also run his computer.

That said, I vote for Mac OS as the best alternative to Mickeysoft. Extremely stable but also easy enough for a kiddie to use and setup.

Troy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

theavenge: you just reminded me of a post on Slashdot about Linux on the Dreamcast. WHY???!! Why would I want to use a CD-Loaded OS where I can't really use other than for web browsing (I guess someone figured out how to get the DC modem to work in Linux) as I highly doubt that a Star Office or OpenOffice doc will fit onto a VMU? With all this Linux stuff, I can't wait for the day where I have to log into my toaster as ROOT in order to adjust the temperature.

You are so right. I used Linux (Mandrake 8.1) and it wasn't that spectacular. Sure it was cool that it came with a bunch of apps and such but it is a pain to figure out how to find what you are looking for in the menus. Not to mention software installation for non-Unix users. While I'm not a big fan o' Microsoft, I like Windows. It has what I want and I can get freeware stuff just like the Linux people can. I wonder sometimes, is the Linux push really because users want "Choice" or is it the fact that they can get the OS and software for "free"?

I end my rant on Linux now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'll just stick with the old cassette tapes and 8-Bit consoles. To heck with the X-Box, or the like. Enough of those money-sucking corporations. I'm tired of always being told how much I "need" their products, and then how I ALWAYS have to spend hundreds more to "upgrade" in some manner.

The computer revolution is a hoax. The dot.com fiasco was bad enough, but, contrary to the claims of the computer-hucksters, things are most certainly NOT better. Our schools are a bad joke, our politicians have just scrapped the Constitution, our economy is shot- I have some literature here, which names names (are you listening, Mr. Cheney?), and which shows how, in the past couple of years, a few well-connected white-collar criminals have literally caused BILLIONS- tens or even hundreds of billions- to just vanish from our already-crippled economy. The economy my grandfather (Italian immigrant) and father both fought for (the latter, WW2) and slaved away for, back when trying to start any sort of a union could mean one's death.

Check 20th Century history. There was more significant technological advancement BEFORE computers. Now, clearly, the computer revolution merely feeds itself. For all of the hype, we still don't even have a moonbase, or even a really good space station. Yet, in a few decades in the first half of the 20th century, they went from crude biplanes to Sputnik. O.k, a little into the second half, too. But what have we really accomplished since?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

...and I still want a hoverboard dammit!