Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default The Most Impressive "Wing" in Your Personal Museum

Alright gamers, a little collecting talk.

Those of you who are really into the collecting aspect probably consider your collection a mini (some are not so mini) museum of sorts. NES games over there on the shelves, Coleco tabletops unexpectedly placed on that table, a wall dedicated to Sega games... of course it's a museum. And each nook and cranny is a "wing".

So taking your whole collection/museum into account, what do you think is the most impressive aspect of it? A complete set of Virtual Boy games, a tidy stack of PS1 demos, a nicely arranged gun rack of light guns, that DP-rated "9" game with a light shining on it... even a not-so organized bin of CD-i games? What is it? What would be the one facet that you'd simply HAVE to share with another "curator"?

Time to share.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoy seeing all my Famicom games together. The label art and different colored carts are really cool when seen as a group.

I get a kick out of my joystick collection too. Lots of uncommon stuff, my favorite being my Tron 2600 stick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well,

I tend to think my collection is pretty weak. I always think of the things others DO have, rather than consider the strengths of my collection. Having said that up front, I am pretty proud of my collection of homebrews. From the first time I saw Pong I was amazed, and wanted to know how such a thing could be done. Realizing it was just regular people, mere mortals, that were able to pull videogames off, I wanted to do so.

As time went on and I grew up, and I learned what was necessary to get things on to the screen, I became somewhat awed at what people accomplished.

SO, when I first discovered regular people, in their homes/basements, were able to write and produce real cartridges, I was floored. The pace of homebrew releases has picked up to the point that I can't afford to get them all, but I have an entire shelf of homebrews - 2600, 5200, Colecovision, Vectrex. It's the pride of my collection. It has a signed Castle Blast, QB, QB:SE, Koffe:Yellow Kopter. It has SCSIcide in the anti-static bag. It's got Thrust+ SE in the fancy shipping box with foot controller. Alfred Challenge. And many others.

It's nothing a mainstream/civilian would appreciate, but hopefully other videogame geeks would be impressed.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always point out my Starfox Super Weekend cart. Other than that I have a fair amount of games for all systems. I try not to limit myself.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say my SMS stuff of course, but to confine the focus even more, would be the complete Sega Card collection (minus box variations)
    Includes:
    All 7 US SMS cards Complete
    Euro Bank Panic Complete
    Euro Great Soccer Complete
    Aussie Boxed Hang On Complete
    Ghost House pre-release demo card Complete

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Usually the first thing people stop and stare at is my playstation playable store display. After that they take a gander at my nes collection, then promptly evacuate themselves.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Vectrex never fails to impress either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have anything really "on display" so to speak. Typically, they come in and get overwhelmed in general by the sheer volume of games. When my Super Neo 29 MVS candy cab shows up in a few weeks, I'm sure it'll be that that they all see first
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots
    My Vectrex never fails to impress either.
    you beat me to it Scoots, so I'll go with my Bally Astrocade and my measly collection of 5 games that I have had since Santa Clause brought it to me many many years ago...
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My shelf of all my systems except it is missing my 2600,ps2, and one other system at any given time.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The museum analogy is great.

If my collection could be considered a museum, it's a Children's Museum.

I believe in the educational value of my systems (as far as the hobby is concerned), and as such, most of my systems are in a playable state. Likewise, many of my games are the "popular", non-rare titles.

I "squirrel away" the titles or systems that are rare! Anything that I don't want damaged, I hide.

In fact, I'll take some ridiculous precautions. I keep items in plastic bins (to avoid sunlight and any possible water contact), inside plastic bags (so they don't rub against other items), with silicon packs to keep out humidity (for manuals)... I have a CD unit that's wrapped in bubble wrap...

Remember the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark? Yeah... THAT'S how I keep my "good stuff" - an anonymous box in a warehouse. Nothing to see here, move along.... move along...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always get the "whoa" for having 130 something Capcom games. Then there is my shelf of boxed portables. Complete Neo Geo, GB Color, GB SP, Nomad, Game Gear, and Lynx. I imagine in a month or two I can add and N-Gage, never opened, for $5.
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

probably my SNES shelf. I have around 100 games on just that one shelf...I know, nothing big to you guys, but it's my biggest collection for a single system
    N1 Video Games

^ My gaming website

Systems I own:
    PS2, PSX, 3DO, SNES, NES, Genesis, 32X, Atari 2600, Saturn, VIC-20, C64, Odyssey 300, Pong Sports IV, N64, GBA, TRS-80 CoCo 2.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

In pieces all over the shop...

NGPC collection - all 39 UK titles complete with many Japanese titles also, still gaps to fill but all the great stuff present and correct

7800 - all games, all complete. Just missing a couple of PAL releases where I own the NTSC ones instead

C64 - just the sheer number of original titles owned. Lots of people pirated, lots of people sold their stuff over the years, not many have still the amount of originals I have stashed in every nook and cranny in one room. Especially the cartridges, but that's also why I'm in charge of the DP sections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

My SNK Neo Geo MVS 4-Slot. I have not shown it to too many people as I have not had it that long, but that is what I like to show people as the "crown jewel" of my collection and people are usually impressed that I have something that large that you normally only see at an arcade in my house.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Extra Crispy.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My MVS and CPS2 carts/kits. (Need to update that pic)

No pic of the CPS2 stuff.

Also my MVS mini posters are quite badass.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

I have to the best wing in my museum (i like saying that) has to be my hardware collection. although my media collection is a moderate size (242 games currently) the hardware shines through. I own 11 consoles excluding different models or duplicates, 6 handhelds (including the original Mattel football-2 and a wonderswan crystal), and a street fighter 2: chamionship edition stand up machine.

its all about short circuiting the house

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely my Genesis Collection...242 games rightnow....people always tell me it will take me years to play them all lol..

SOMEDAY i will have the full genesis US collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gah you can forget about me. For an old videogame freak I gotta be the suckiest collector around. And even the collections that I do have that would be impressive if "displayed", they're scattered all over the friggin place (like for example, maybe there's a couple cool 80's jap handhelds in that shoebox under the bed) etc.

Maybe I could take a picture of that dilapidated wicker basket in the laundry room with a bunch of really dusty 2600 and 5200 games