Thread: Collecting advantages/disadvantages with VB, INTV and Lynx

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Collecting advantages/disadvantages with VB, INTV and Lynx

I'm considering starting one of these 3 collections this year sometime, or more then one. Thanks to a few items included with my prize pack from the Alter-ego contest I decided not to let them go to waste and considering building a collection starting with them. What's some advantages or disadvantages you guys discovered collecting one or more of these 3 items?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to collect Lynx...its a very nice console to collect...most games are dirt cheap, and withjust around 100 games, it shouldnt take you too long to find them all.!! I highly recommend you to start a lynx collection

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I agree with the 'fly, the Lynx is fun to collect and most of the games are quite cheap (though I've found a few that are next to unplayable and others that just aren't too much fun). I think the VB is about the same except the possibilty of eye problems with the display and and even smaller collection. I don't know about the INTV, so I can't say anything there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a decent INTV collection, but its more because they fell into my lap rather than me actually pursuing it. I haven't even plugged in a system in over 4 years since I really don't enjoy the controllers. If I'm going to play games from that era, I use my 2600 and that's close enough. Especially for the games I play (non sports).

The lynx on the other hand is a different story. They can be had rather cheap, many of the decent titles can be found boxed for between $3-8. I got my system from VGLQ a few years back with almost 20 New games for less than $100. I like the feel of the unit, and haven't had any problems with the screen. Battery life using AA batteries isn't too good, but once you get the D cell battery pack or an external power supply you are good to go. And if you are into it, there are a number of homebrew titles released for this system each year. I think for collecting purposes this offers a very good value, and I know of no title that is really difficult to locate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

collect what you plan on playing.

Virtual Boy is fast and easy

I'd probably go with the lynx myself.

If you did want an Intelevision collections, you can buy mine

(I'll be selling it off in a week or two@

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Actually, the Virtual Boy and Lynx are probably very similar to collect for... most games are available fairly easily and cheaply, but there are a handful of games for each system that are very tough to get if you're looking for a challenge. Both systems also have a rather small library, which is good if you're a completist, but bad if you're looking for variety.

The INTV is a pretty decent system to collect for too. The games are easily available (and there are some gems in there too), and there are lots of nifty gee-gaws you can get for the INTV, such as the IntelliVoice and the computer module and such. One major downside with the INTV is the awful controller.

--Zero

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't speak much of the Virtual Boy, as my collecting in that area is rather limited. But, the Lynx and the INTV are both great systems to collect for with a nice set of games, and many good common ones to be had. I like both systems because there are a number of unique games made for them, that didn't come out on other systems.

First of all, the Lynx.. I think you have to decide if you really want to try and collect multiplayer games (and multiple Lynxes). IMHO, the Lynx is best seen as a multiplayer "handheld" (as stated, the unit munches through batteries). There are some awesome games for multiplayer, and it is where the system truly shines. Slime World, Xenophobe, Gauntlet III, Rampage, Warbirds, Battle Wheels, Zarlor Mercenary, California Games are all great games multiplayer, and worth getting. Sadly, some of them are a little harder to come by. If you decide to only concentrate on playing games single player, then there are some good single player games that can be found cheaply. There are quite a variety of arcade classics, puzzle and action games for the Lynx. Most of the rares are good, but not must-haves (except maybe Lemmings), but none of the released games go past the $100 mark, which is very nice. The only accessories you'll ever need are the comlynxes and the carrying cases (which are relatively cheap). I started to collect for the lynx, and then started to collect mulitplayer (need multiple Lynxes and multiple carts for each player), so this system can start cheap, but it can add up if you really get into it.

The INTV is indeed a favorite of mine, and don't listen to the naysayers, the controllers aren't as bad as you might think. There are tons of cheap, great common games for the system, including some good arcade translations. There are quite a few sports titles and card games for the system too. Many of the best games for the system are two-player only games (Utopia and Sea Battle), so you need someone to play with. Many of the good games are cheap, and most of the rares aren't worth getting. But, they do climb near the $150-200 range for the rarest complete games, and there are 125 games in total for the system. The INTV has a lot of peripherals too that can be a pain to get... the computer systems, the keyboards, etc. I hate paying the shipping alone on them, but they don't go too high in the prices otherwise. The INTV also has a variety of hardware clones, if you are into collecting those, that make it cumbersome. However, many INTV games still come with their original boxes, probably because they act as storage cases, so finding boxed games is considerably easier.

I'd suggest the price listing at www.intellivisionzone.com to see a nice example of the Intellivision prices, if you are interested. I think that you can get a nice starter set of either of these two really cheaply. If you like the games, or the feel of the systems, then go from there. That's my advice... but you can't go wrong with either.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I think the lynx can be pretty damn hard and expensive to collect for.
    Stricly based on ebay examples, you can get 60-70 different intellivision games for under $100 if you wait for it to show up and happen. The only virtual boy games I ever see on ebay are the same stupid 5 sealed games for $10 deal EVERYONE has posted. And I just saw a lynx auction with around 70-80 games go for around $450. But, getting the first 15-20 lynx games brand new is still VERY easy, under $1 each.

FINISHING the intellivision system is hard, but getting the bulk out of the way is VERY easy.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave2236
    If you did want an Intelevision collections, you can buy mine

(I'll be selling it off in a week or two@
    Lemme know when you put it up or PM me what's included please so I can take a look!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should point out that collecting VB is only relatively cheap & easy if you're talking US releases. There are some VERY pricey Japanese softs that make this less desirable for a cheap completist, despite how few carts there are for it...
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So I heard, someone over at AA made up a chart in a reply to me to show me the differences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some VERY pricey Japanese softs that make this less desirable for a cheap completist, despite how few carts there are for it...
    You're telling me. There was a UK eBay auction last month or so for SD Gundam: Dimensional War that went for over $1,000 US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love collecting the VB... it's so different from everything else, and the games are actually pretty fun (too bad there aren't enough). I've completed my collection, but I guess maybe what keeps me interested in it is programming games for it, since very little is known about it, there's a lot of reverse engineering involved. But anyway, yeah, a complete US collection isn't very tough to get (I've probably got a few complete US collections, and almost a couple complete Japanese ones). I do still play my VB a few times a week, and I've beaten almost every game.

I also collected some Lynx, and got all the common games and a few of the kinda rare ones, but I've noticed that I really don't play it much besides on road trips and stuff.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB