Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some rpg's that should be brought back to life...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Some rpg's that should be brought back to life...

Being an avid RPG fan, there are a few series id love to see brough back in 3D...
    1) Vandal Hearts...i really enjoyed this one.
    2)Shinning Force...I heard one was in the make for ps2..but yeah the US really got the shaft when they only released 1 of 3 parts of Shinning Force 3 here! >.<
    3)Lunar...i also heard its comin to ps2...or something..
    4)Earthbound...and i heard its coming to gamecube...
    5)Mario RPG...i always thought another would come out..but ...no!!!! >.<

anyways thats all i can think off...if you guys think of anymore or dissagree with mine ...then post it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the Lunar 3 on the PS2 rumor I think is dead. AFAIK, nobody from Game Arts Japan said a word on it anyway, and they would be the ones to trust.

Personally, I'd like to see some of these old Turbo Duo RPG series' resurrected. Tengai Makkyo has seen a very welcomed resurrection, with a remake of II, and them actually MAKING Tengai Makkyo III: Namida, a game that was slated for the Turbo, then the PC-FX, then the garbage bin, where it officially went.

I've only played a few, but that was a good system for RPGs.

A new Chrono Trigger wouldn't hurt either.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

A sequel to Anachronox.

Another one like Planescape: Torment (if it's even possible to duplicate that)

A sequel to Mines of Titan (by Infocom)

A sequel to Bard's Tale (which will happen)

Maybe more Vandal Hearts

NO MORE Final Fantasy games (it's getting ridiculous at this point, I think, and they haven't made one that is as good as VII IMO)

No more expansions to Morrowind.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being an avid RPG fan, there are a few series id love to see brough back in 3D...
    Actually, I'd rather they DIDN'T do them in 3D. Think of the artistry that could be accomplished with hi-rez sprites in this day and age is some company would dare to try.

NO MORE Final Fantasy games (it's getting ridiculous at this point, I think, and they haven't made one that is as good as VII IMO)
    Of course, my opinion is that FFVII was crap as far as the series goes, so.....

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Default Re: Some rpg's that should be brought back to life...

Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    I'm pretty sure there's a GBA version of Earthbound on it's way... and Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga were sort of sequels to Mario RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    NO MORE Final Fantasy games
    Sorry, but there's money to be had. As long as people keep buying them, Square will keep the RPG generating computer running.

Personally, I really want to see another single player Ultima game... none of these stinkin' MMORPG's. Hell, even a 3D remake of Ultima IV could be interesting if they don't screw it up. If any Ultima game ever gets released on the GBA, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Dungeon Master is another one that is long overdue for another sequel. This is another GBA port I'd buy without questions.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I`d love to see a sequel for "Crusader of Centy" (Genesis) :P

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There should be a GameCube version of Car Battler Joe. Car combat + RPG would = fun if it were done right...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah Paper Mario was the sequel to Super Mario RPG and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is Paper Mario's sequel. They all rock!
    GameGuru
    Visit Nostalgia Gaming if you like classic gaming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heard anything about Chrono Break, GaijinPunch?

Anyway . . .

Valkyrie Profile (PSX): This one had loads of great ideas and left plenty of room for expansion. It's a shame that Tri-Ace is fixated on the seemingly generic Star Ocean 3, but I wouldn't mind if another company decided to make an RPG with a semi-warped take on Norse mythology.

Septerra Core (PC): It was undone by a tedious battle system, but the setting and storyline are worthy of a sequel, or even a remake.

Another Quintet Action/RPG: This promising developer quickly dropped off the radar after The Granstream Saga and Solo Crisis, but their 16-bit work (Actraiser, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma) is amazing. Enix is reportedly thinking about another Actraiser, at least.

Popful Mail (SegaCD): Falcom's been reviving their 16-bit properties lately, so I can hope for a follow-up to this colorful action/RPG. Still, it wouldn't be the same without Working Designs handling the localization, Popful Mail being perhaps the one WD release that didn't suffer at all from Victor Ireland's inevitable jokes and rewrites.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    Heard anything about Chrono Break, GaijinPunch?
    Well...I read the following off RPGFan.....so.....

Square Enix has abandoned its trademark Chrono Break with the US Patent and Trademark Office. However, the status of the trademark Chrono Brake, which has been registered by the company at the Japan Patent Office remains unchanged.

The two differently worded trademarks have resulted in a lot of speculation and hope among many fans for a third installment of what is arguably one of Square Enix's most popular RPG series. After the completion of Final Fantasy XI, scenario writer and Chrono series mastermind Masato Katou quit the company to become a freelance writer, most recently lending his talents to MonolithSoft and Namco's Baten Kaitos.
    And as far as Lunar goes...not sure exactly how stable this rumor is, but in the latest issue of Xbox's magazine, it claims that GameArts is developing both a Grandia game and Lunar game for the Xbox.

I personally, would love to see a remake of Suikoden 1 and 2.
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) Vandal Hearts...i really enjoyed this one.
    2)Shinning Force...I heard one was in the make for ps2..but yeah the US really got the shaft when they only released 1 of 3 parts of Shinning Force 3 here! >.<
    3)Lunar...i also heard its comin to ps2...or something..

anyways thats all i can think off...if you guys think of anymore or dissagree with mine ...then post it!
    Suikoden
    POLICENAUGHTS IN ENGLISH goddammit.
    Y's 4 in english too
    Lead, Follow , or get the F*** out of my way !

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Magic of Scherezade would be interesting.
    "You're just a poser wanna-be." - RaccoonLad describing yours truly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'd like to see sequals/nextgen versions of:

Bard's Tale
    Bloodnet
    Neuromancer
    Wastelands

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    I'm pretty sure there's a GBA version of Earthbound on it's way... and Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga were sort of sequels to Mario RPG.
    The GBA version of Mother is supposed to be only the first two in the series -- the unreleased (but yet, fully completed... WHY NINTENDO!) first game and the incredible sequel on SNES.

The third Mother installment was supposed to be a launch title for the N64. That's why I'm the proud owner of an N64 After being pushed off until the system's dying days, the game finally died in 2000.

Last I heard was that the GameCube version was also cancelled, and the team is not interested in bringing forth a version for it (the N's Miyamoto claims they can't work in 3D, and honestly, for Earthbound I would rather it be 2D!)

I'll never forget seeing this message in Fourside and being ecstatic - Planning Meeting for EarthBound 2. Only those who are related to this project may enter. APE Software Developement Team. Too bad it wasn't real.

Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I'd like to see sequels/nextgen versions of:

Bard's Tale
    Bloodnet
    Neuromancer
    Wastelands

well, flack- a remake of the bard's tale is coming to consoles later this year, i believe...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here are my votes:

Phantasy Star (we need a real offline adventure, not another PSO)
    either a new Shining Force, or at the least, release all three scenarios for part III
    Y's Story
    Startropics
    Secret of Evermore
    Vay
    Albert Odyssey
    Sword of Vermilion
    And another Shining game that's not Shining force, Like Shining in the Darkness, Shining the Holy Ark etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Personally, I really want to see another single player Ultima game... none of these stinkin' MMORPG's. Hell, even a 3D remake of Ultima IV could be interesting if they don't screw it up. If any Ultima game ever gets released on the GBA, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.
    --Zero
    Yeah, I hear you - but I didn't include it in my list because I think it's a completely lost cause. Ultima IX was designed to be the last (and greatest) single-player Ultima game. EA, of course, didn't support Garriott in the slightest and it turned out being one of the crappiest (although not as crappy as 8, I must say). I think we all need to face the fact that EA has murdered the Ultima series, and is only interested in pimping the license with MMOGs like that new "Ultima XO" or whatever it is. Without Richard Garriott and his unique philosophy of game design to guide another entry in the series, I wouldn't even WANT there to be another one, as I have zero trust in EA to produce anything other than some little clickfests.

As far as ported games from the original series...I dunno. Ultima IV and V already came out for the NES, and did VI ever come out for NES / SNES? I know they came out with a horribly dumbed-down version of Ultima VII for the SNES (it was COMPLETELY awful, IMO)...and I don't think anybody cares or wants to see ports of 8 or IX (and IX wouldn't work on the GBA, anyways).

No, friends, I'm afraid that Ultima is dead - and EA killed it. If they hadn't been so draconian with 8 and IX we might have seen another trilogy, but Garriott chose to close the series with IX, probably in no small part because he realized he could never create another quality single-player game under the "auspices" (perhaps "dark looming shadow" would be more appropriate) of the nefarious EA.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Bard's Tale
    Bloodnet
    Neuromancer
    Wastelands
    There is actually a new Bard's Tale game in the works... I forget what it's called though. And the Fallout games are considered to be sequels to Wasteland (which was one of my favorite RPG's ever). The status of a Fallout 3 is still in question though.

I'd love to see another Neuromancer game, or even another System Shock game.

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Without Richard Garriott and his unique philosophy of game design to guide another entry in the series, I wouldn't even WANT there to be another one, as I have zero trust in EA to produce anything other than some little clickfests.
    Sadly, you're probably right. I never actually played Ultima IX, since part 8 was quite awful, and I hadn't heard much good about IX. I always sorta hoped that they'd somehow go back to what made the earlier games so good.

Apparently, Richard Garriott is working on his own MMORPG called "Tabula Rasa" or something. What is with all the MMORPG games? Are normal RPG's not profitable enough or something?

did VI ever come out for NES / SNES?
    Yeah, there's a SNES version of Ultima VI... I haven't played it except to try it out in an emulator. It seems decent... the interface is kind of goofy though, and feels like it was stolen from a Final Fantasy game (It doesn't have that Ultima "feel" somehow). The graphics are nice (although all blood is gone of course), and the music is very good. I haven't played enough of it to tell if the storyline is changed at all though.

I hope Atari keeps making AD&D games... I used to love the SSI Gold Box AD&D games, and it seemed like an awfully long time before Temple of Elemental Evil came out.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Another vote for Wasteland!

And Fallout/Fallout2/Fallout Chronicles don't count, regardless if they're about the same thing, and by the original authors I want a real sequel!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

There is actually a new Bard's Tale game in the works... I forget what it's called though...

Sadly, you're probably right. I never actually played Ultima IX, since part 8 was quite awful, and I hadn't heard much good about IX. I always sorta hoped that they'd somehow go back to what made the earlier games so good.
    The new Bard's Tale game is purportedly going to be called just "Bard's Tale" - at least, that's what they're trying to name it. That name is what it WILL be in Europe, and they're trying to work out some of the legal things here in the US. EA apparently owns the trademark rights but inXile's trying to prove that they haven't used it and that it's gone back to the public domain - or something like that.

As far as Ultima IX - I picked it up pre-owned for $10 and I'd say it's worth that price for sure, even like $15. While it's nowhere near as good as VII was, it's a lot more like the old Ultimas than VIII is. It still has a lot of the platformer / action aspect of VIII, and there's no party, but the virtues are there, the old characters do show up, and it all takes place in Britannia. Unfortunately there are some bugs (they corrected a lot of them with a patch) - none of them showstoppers that I've seen, but I haven't finished the game - and there aren't a whole lot of "side-quests" and things of that nature. Garriott & co didn't really have enough time or resources to finish the game properly, but it does have something to add to the series. You get to wander around the Avatar's house (his house on Earth, that is), there's spoken dialogue...it's sort of neat to see Britannia in 3D. The price is that the world just isn't as BIG as Ultima VII was. Not as vast, not as many characters...but it still has a certain something that says "ultima." It's just not as good.