Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Adventures of Bayou Billy

The DP Random Fightin', Drivin', and Zappin' Game Selector (tm) has chosen what seems to be the only possible game in its entire library: the NES classic Adventures of Bayou Billy.

Well it's got fightin', drivin' and zappin', all right, and it's a fun game! This was one of my favorite NES games despite the fact that I always had trouble getting through the later fightin' stages. It's a pretty innovative concept and games that used the Zapper light gun were always welcome around here.

What did/do you think of the game? Write your own mini review here.

DP Guide sez:

Adventures of Bayou Billy, The (Nintendo NES, by Konami) $2/R1 +
    Localization of the Famicom game Mad City. At the end of the game you're given "credits" but we're not sure how real these are. Original writer: Mr. Konami (um, ok), game planners: Shinamon Aoyama, Grasshopper Ogawa, Sai Tsukasa, and Moon Nakamoto. Light Gun compatible. Released 05/89.
    c1989 Konami. #NES-MU-USA.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Oh man, this was one of those games I had to have when I was a kid. And another game that when I finally got it, it didn't matter how bad it was, I was going to keep playing it. I've played this one to death over the years and I'm pretty sure I've only beaten it using a Game Genie. Yeah, the various levels are nice as is the useage of peripherals, but no one really LIKES this game.....do they???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i too had this game as a kid, i remember playing the crap out of it. but i could never beat the final boss, which always pissed me off! how could bayou billy, who is obviously an ass kickin lousianian get beat by some fat mobster looking dude? i just got an NES again a few months back (haven't had one in a decade probably), and this is one of the first titles i snagged... i tried playing it again, and it only reminds me of how frustrating it is. sweet game, but damn near impossible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to buy this a few months ago when I heard how it was. I can't beat the first level.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

This is one of the games that defines the NES experience for me. I was into Bayou Billy at the height of my NES fanaticism, so that's most likely why.

I always remember that getting past the 2nd driving stage was a challenge, as I don't personally recall ever being able to do it.

The music is also a standout for me, as are the sound effects-particularly when Billy dies.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question about this game thats been bugging me for the longest time. Does this game use digitized voice? I remember playing it back in the day, and I could have sworn at the title screen, the voice said "the adventures of Bayou Billy!". A cartridge I have and the ROM's of it I played on NesterDC don't include the voice though. Was I just imagining this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The cover art was done by the same fellow who did the art for Super C, and apparently Castlevania 3 as well. Gotta love the look on Billy's face, and his gigantic right hand :) This was actually is one of my first NES titles, seeing how I got it recently along with a couple other NES titles at a Goodwill. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it looks like "a real corker."

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    I have a question about this game thats been bugging me for the longest time. Does this game use digitized voice? I remember playing it back in the day, and I could have sworn at the title screen, the voice said "the adventures of Bayou Billy!". A cartridge I have and the ROM's of it I played on NesterDC don't include the voice though. Was I just imagining this?
    There is indeed a (horribly)digitized voice once you press Start, followed by a zapper shot, then glass breaking.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember playing this game quite a bit, and i know i beat it-
    i never really enjoyed the game that much.. it was more of a torture test or something.. i played all the nes games i had right to death.. i was obviously brain damaged

willie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I never played it when it first came out, though I did see the ads for it. I dunno, hindsight tells me the ads never really jumped out at me for it and if I did want to try it the video store either didn't have it or it was rented out.

I first played it a few years ago when I got it from some acquisition. I say DAHY-AM that game is hard. I've never GOTTEN beyond the first level yet, but I haven't really put the time in to get better at it. I can't remember too many other experiences with it other than I thought the AI was cheap.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

I used to really dig this game...even though it was tough as nails.

The last boss isn't that hard...it's the twins you have to beat that are the bitch. However, if you stand in the lower left corner and hold down the turbo button on punch....you will hit them once every 30 seconds or so...they will hit you once every minute or two....just enought to hit them more than they hit you and win. I had to rent this game about 5 times before I beat it...I was determined to beat it becuase two of my friends had and I hadn't...this was before Game Genie too!

I'll never forget the awesome Konami ending music!

Hey which came first...the mobster dude or the twins?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was one of those "Throw your controller and yell at the screen games" I owned as a kid. I would always get "Junior, quit yelling at the TV screen, it can't hear you. But, I know you could hear me Bayou Billy, so why in the hell didn't you jump?

I loved playing the game as a kid, and even more so now. If only to laugh at Billy getting his ass kicked. If I remember correctly, you could select individual stages at the start of the game to practice. I loved the driving stages and the fact that there were diffent types of gameplay within the game. Maybe Bayou Billy was just ahead of its time?

On an unrelated note, I used to think bayou was a swear word when I was younger.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I don't mind Bayou Billy, but give me Mad City over it any day. Why Konami had to jack up the difficulty as high as they did when it was released here is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I played this game all the time growing up, and I didn't even dare to beat it without a Game Genie. As Dire said, the Japanese version has reduced the difficulty so normal humans can finish it with some challenge, but not too much. The music and the sound quality kicked arse, I must say. Yep... I've had some good times with this game.

Oh, and rbudrick, the mobster came before the twins. That would make the final boss(es) the hardest fight in the game.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well then, i guess i never did get to the final boss, the mobster dude always kicked my ass.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Oh, and rbudrick, the mobster came before the twins. That would make the final boss(es) the hardest fight in the game.
    Oh, that's right.....If I remember correctly, the whip will kick the mobster's ass...just don't get shot....I don't remember him being very hard at all....the twins are the ones who are damn near impossible without knowing that corner trick. I think I have a video of me doing this somewhere...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!