Thread: Plastic cutting tools/methods

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Plastic cutting tools/methods

Anyone have any tips when it comes to cutting through plastic? For example, If I want to cut a square out of a 2600 case. The best I can think of is to drill a hole then use a small hack-saw blade.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You could invest in a 20 dollar (USD) dremel. They usually come with a kit which includes a cutting wheel. You may be putting forth some money in this solution but I guarantee the dremel will come in handy for any other plastic hacking in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second the Dremel. I use mine at least once every two weeks. Those cutting wheels can cut sheet metal shielding nicely too. WEAR EYE PROTECTION!! I'm no "Captain Safety", but the Dremel is hi speed, and bits go a flyin....
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh... the Dremel is mighty. Takes a little practice to get the technique down. Be sure to cut plastic on low speed, otherwise you just melt/deform the area around what you're cutting. Use the fiberglass reinforced wheels, as the emery wheels explode if not held perfectly straight when cutting. Frankly, I don't even know what the emery discs are for. Perhaps for cutting dirt, cooked spaghetti or applesauce. I suppose they could be useful if you had some sort of jig holding the dremel captive.

Sometimes I'll use a soldering iron to shape/cut plastic too. Also takes practice.

I'm unsure of it's proper name, but I have a small saw that I use from time to time. It's shaped like an antique pistol, and it's really easy to get into tight spaces with. I found it with a pile of old tools in a garage, so I dunno what it's called, other than 'rusty'.

A sharp x-acto can be your friend, too.

I've also used an electricians knife to cut sheet ABS before (the kind that's shaped like a talon). Prescore the area to be cut, and then take repeated passes with the electricians knife until the part just snaps out.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I bought the cordless Dremel. Not as powerful but I figured it was good enough for plastic and hobbie uses. I also bought the cutting and engraving bit kit. Hopefully this does the trick. Now I will have to find other uses to justify the purchase though. Hmmm what can I cut up...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

home surgery?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes I'll use a soldering iron to shape/cut plastic too. Also takes practice.
    THE FUMES THE FUMES!

I think every time I've done that I've lost 30% of my brain cells.