Thread: Deep Fear for the Saturn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Deep Fear for the Saturn

On my new years trip to see my best friend in Houston Texas and needless to say I got to bring me a boxed Sega Saturn home but without any games

I am a huge resident evil fan and love survival horror type games,not Carrier or Dino Crisis but I did like Silent Hill

I am thinking about getting Deep Fear but I think you got to have an Action Replace RAM convertor

My question is any of yall who played it think I would enjoy it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Deep Fear for the Satutn

Segata Sanshiro's oddest commercial was concerning Deep Fear. Well, it looks somewhat, uh, interesting, but I can't say much besides having seen some rather cheesy looking transformations (in said commercial). I haven't even seen the interface, not to mention actual gameplay...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Deep Fear for the Saturn

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan
    On my new years trip to see my best friend in Houston Texas and needless to say I got to bring me a boxed Sega Saturn home but without any games

I am a huge resident evil fan and love survival horror type games,not Carrier or Dino Crisis but I did like Silent Hill

I am thinking about getting Deep Fear but I think you got to have an Action Replace RAM convertor

My question is any of yall who played it think I would enjoy it?
    I played like 10 minutes of it...
    nah i have to say i liked RE alot more than this game.
    you may wanna try BLUE STINGER for the dreamcast if you like
    those RE style games.
    its cheesy but i beat it.
    Lead, Follow , or get the F*** out of my way !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it about a week or so ago, and so far I can say it's been good fun. The tone is quite different from that of Resident Evil though. Deep Fear is more B-Movie action than B-Movie horror IMO. This is very much reflected in the music which tends to be less foreboding and more 'upbeat.' I quite like it, but looking at some reviews I found on the net it could just be me.
    Deep Fear isn't exactly the hardest game in the world. There are various special lockers which you can re-use as many times as you like to fully replenish your ammunition, so ammo isn't exactly scare. There are also wall boxes which allow you to refill an area's O2. The O2 meter its self doesn't really crank the tension up much, especially once you've got the breathing regulator and a backpack full of O2 grenades.

The puzzles for the most part tend to be more 'real world' than Resi's "get the bishop plug" style, and they're not exactly taxing. What they succeed in doing is allowing you to get on with the story, which is actually quite good in a B-movie way. The story is told though a mixture of in game graphics and FMV (again, quite good) The voice acting is as bad as you'd expect, and a special mention must go to the immensely camp sounding French Nuclear Sub designer, Dubois, for being comedy genious.

Combat is very much like that in Resident Evil et al, although you only have to tap R once to get the character to raise his weapon, then press it again to get him to lower it. Unlike Resi, you can't aim up or down (this is done automatically for you), but you can move and shoot. This actually lowers the tension in the game. In Resident Evil the controls were your biggest enemy. Here they're good enough to allow you to execute the hideous mutations with ease (although what this usually entails is standing at one end of a corridor and just 'hopping' backwards firing untill every thing is dead.) This is probably just as well - if you don't kill every enemy in an area they re-spawn.

The game is, however, fun. It keeps things moving along at a brisk pace and occasionally throws a few surprises at you. If you didn't like Carrier and Dino Crisis then there's quite a chance you won't like this, although I consider Deep Fear to be superior to both of those games.

My copy is a Japanese import, and all the voice work in the game and quite a few of the menus are in english. It's very simple to just pick up and play, and not all that expensive on Import.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the great heads up Daltone,I think I will try the game afterall since my friend has it in his attic,not sure if he still has his convertor though