Thread: Eternal Darkness, and some questions

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Eternal Darkness, and some questions

So I beat it, thrice.

Saw the uber ending, loved every second.

Three times I saw it and I have to wonder, they mention something called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Redemption in a cut scene shortly into the game, is this a planned sequel? Where do I sign up to beta test? Which limb's removal would it entail? Why didn't I get a gamecube long before now?

SF

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm betting there will NEVER be a sequel to eternal darkness. As much as I loved that game, it sold HORRIBLY. Probably because nintendo is STUPID when it comes to advertising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am probably the only person on the forum that hated this game,the female lead was uniteresting and the whole time travel thing I felt was done poorly

maybe I was comparing it too much to my beloved Resident Evil Revisited and Resident Evil,needless to say this game made me so angry I returned the nintendo I bought brand new because at that time Nintendo hate shit selection for games

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

the female lead was uniteresting
    Sorry what? As opposed to the incredibly detailed and interesting characters from RE?

Puh-Lease.

SF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpasticFuctard
    the female lead was uniteresting
    Sorry what? As opposed to the incredibly detailed and interesting characters from RE?

Puh-Lease.

SF

there are alot of strong characters in RE as a matter of fact but the main appeal to me about RE is the storyline,I just hated Eternal Darkness for some reason like I have never hated another game before or since{Tag-Team Wrestling for NES is a close second}

I respect your opinion but I am such a die hard RE fan games in that genre have alot to live up too

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with you ReaXan. It's a very dull game. It has it's scary and cool moments, but they are too few and too short to make the game worthwhile.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

And I, for one, hail Eternal Darkness as one of the greatest games ever made in the horror/scary game genre. I'd kill for a sequel.

Plus it had some funny moments -- I almost died laughing the first time I saw the Windows BSOD!
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I can't stand survival/horror games, but this one was AMAZING. Plus it was some of the scariest stuff I've ever seen from a video game console. There was a moment that the main character (the fat balding guy who gets committed) tried to get into the door he just came out of and he was decapitated, his head flew into the screen and started quoting Hamlet! Scared me shitless!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan
    I am probably the only person on the forum that hated this game,the female lead was uniteresting and the whole time travel thing I felt was done poorly

maybe I was comparing it too much to my beloved Resident Evil Revisited and Resident Evil,needless to say this game made me so angry I returned the nintendo I bought brand new because at that time Nintendo hate shit selection for games
    There was no time travel in the game. Did you PLAY it?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, there IS, just not time travel in the traditional sence. The main charcter (whose name escapes me right now) is re-living her ancestors in the Book as she reads about them. She reads a chapter, then you start playing it. So it SEEMS like time travel, and it's easy to get confused. I was the first hour or so.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I doubt that had any sort of sequel planned when they tossed in the "Sanity's Redemption" screen. I figured it was more of a joke, seeing how it was an "insanity" effect. (And yeah, the first time I played it I was like "WTF, it's over?!" but only for like two seconds or so ) I'd kill for a sequel though...

The bathtub scene...jeez...

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the game but it was a bit short IMO. I especially liked the guy who had a flask as one of his "weapons"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Bathroom scene appears on screen*

*CitizenWhite shits pants*
    http://www.davidwhite.cjb.net
    CitizenWhite(at)hotmail(dot)com

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

As much as I'm a fan of resident evil, those games can't hold a candle to the gameplay and storyline of Eternal Darkness. I only played through it once (too many games to play through one of them multiple times), and I was rather impressed.

And ReaXan, if you're too closeminded to enjoy an excellent game, it's no skin off our backs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I am probably the only person on the forum that hated this game...
    Well, I didn't hate it, but I found the whole thing to be... tepid. I suppose the shining reviews played a part in letting me down.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I didn't much care for this game either. It was the first game I actually bought for my Gamecube (well, second if you count the Super Mario Sunshine pack-in), but I got bored of it pretty fast. I'm not into survival horror games at all, so I should have expected as much. The insanity effects were really cool though.

One thing that I really didn't like where the terrible cutscenes. Usually, cutscenes are supposed to look BETTER than the gameplay scenes, but it's like they took the output of the Gamecube and slapped on a good helping of MPEG artifacting or something. Why on earth didn't they just have the Gamecube hardware render these scenes? Most of them feature pretty bad dialog too, but that's sort of par for the course when it comes to video game cutscenes.

I only got up to somewhere in the level where you control the arabic guy (Karim?) with two swords... there was one spot where zombies just kept coming at me constantly until eventually one of those big, 3-eyed enemies finally killed me because I couldn't hold out so long.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    And ReaXan, if you're too closeminded to enjoy an excellent game, it's no skin off our backs.

That isnt the real issue its just the lack of quality games on the gamecube,I mean you have Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil Rebirth which were kickass and then you have this game which isnt like someone said earlier isnt Surival Horror like Resident Evil,Silent Hill,Deep Fear,etc.so their isnt anything to chose from after RE and ET which isnt SV.I mean I dont discrimate against a game if it isnt SV but this game just made me angry playing it i disliked it so much,I really felt ripped and wanted my 5 dollars back from blockbuster,and I did give this game a chance but once the cave stage with the indian girl or whatever I said ENOUGH

I mean the game is ok in some aspects, but the character sprites are too small and I just didnt like the lead character or the story which cant be built upon like the Resident Evil games and this game didnt keep me on the edge of my seat in the least bit,she just didnt come across as interesting the main character that is,even Claire Redfield was more interesting to listen to then the blond snob in this game, and the game at times reminded me of Legacy of Kain on Dreamcast which I thought was a piece of garbage

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What happens in the uber ending? I always thought the regular ending was kind of short. Please tell me what happens in the good ending.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That isnt the real issue its just the lack of quality games on the gamecube,I mean you have Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil Rebirth which were kickass and then you have this game which isnt like someone said earlier isnt Surival Horror like Resident Evil,Silent Hill,Deep Fear,etc.so their isnt anything to chose from after RE and ET which isnt SV.I mean I dont discrimate against a game if it isnt SV but this game just made me angry playing it i disliked it so much,I really felt ripped and wanted my 5 dollars back from blockbuster,and I did give this game a chance but once the cave stage with the indian girl or whatever I said ENOUGH

I mean the game is ok in some aspects, but the character sprites are too small and I just didnt like the lead character or the story which cant be built upon like the Resident Evil games and this game didnt keep me on the edge of my seat in the least bit,she just didnt come across as interesting the main character that is,even Claire Redfield was more interesting to listen to then the blond snob in this game, and the game at times reminded me of Legacy of Kain on Dreamcast which I thought was a piece of garbage
    You have no taste in Survival Horror games. In addition, you write the longest sentences known to man. Also, a good portion of the facts in this little essay are false.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman

You have no taste in Survival Horror games. In addition, you write the longest sentences known to man. Also, a good portion of the facts in this little essay are false.
    No taste eh?im dying to hear your list of SV games

And.....

Quit trying to defend this game,its obvious this game has major flaws,if you love it so much just stick your dick through the middle of the Mini Disc and make love to the bastad, I am sure it will fit snug