Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feelings on lending and borrowing games?

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Default Feelings on lending and borrowing games?

I normally dont lend out games to people but this week i lended Space Channel 5 to a close friend oif mine. I know i can trust him but i still have unnerving thoughts of my collection, and myself, sensation a seperation anxiety, paranoid about what could possibly happen to "my precious". it feels really weird since i treat the games i borrow like gold

What are everyone elses thoughts on these matters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let him or her enjoy the game but casually bring it up in a convo on how long they want to play it so it wont be stuck cracked somewhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let him or her enjoy the game but casually bring it up in a convo on how long they want to play it so it wont be stuck cracked somewhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

i should have said these types of matters instead of just my situation.

anyways, i usually do that, but i trust my friend enough to know the game wont be fudged, just worried thats all(i know it contradicts itself but thats what i feel).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Look at it this way: It WAS Space Channel 5 he borrowed. You should take it back and apologize immediately for letting him experience such a garbage game. That said, I don't loan out games anymore. I had one friend I used to trust, but then he lost a dvd I lent him and no more. He paid for it, but still, that's beside the point. If you're anal about condition and things of that nature (which I assume is pretty much the entire crowd here), lending out games becomes more of a hassle than it is worth in return. Go to Blockbuster, it's not worth the risk unless your lendee is very mature and responsible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

you hurt my feelings, i like space channel 5 a lot, thats why i picked up the ps2 rerelease oh well, SC5 is known to be one of those games that you either love or hate.

other than the brash comment i get what your saying.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I don't lend shit out anymore..I've had two many bad experiences..
    People just don't know how to treat my stuff...So it's a no,now.

My Sister In Law has had one of my PS games for 6 months now..
    She gave me one back but hasn't given me the other..I have a bad feeling about it..
    I think she left it over an EX boy friends house.
    I'm going to put a sign over my doorway that leads into this room..

Saying "I don't loan out games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Look at it this way: It WAS Space Channel 5 he borrowed. You should take it back and apologize immediately for letting him experience such a garbage game. That said, I don't loan out games anymore. I had one friend I used to trust, but then he lost a dvd I lent him and no more. He paid for it, but still, that's beside the point. If you're anal about condition and things of that nature (which I assume is pretty much the entire crowd here), lending out games becomes more of a hassle than it is worth in return. Go to Blockbuster, it's not worth the risk unless your lendee is very mature and responsible.
    SP5 has got to be the worst game ever...and I mean ever. You should pray that he cracks the disc in two and throws it out.

But anyway, I do agree that even if a game is lent out to my buddies across the hall I still feel weird and nervious knowing that one of my games that are completely perfect is not in my protection.

I try to loan stuff out as little as possible, even though if i ever borrow something i always treat it better than my own stuff.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Friend of mine from work asked if he could borrow Halo. I had to say no, a friendly no, but very definite (he said he understood, so it ended nicely). The last game I let somebody borrow was Metal Gear Solid, plus the guide...it came back in such bad shape that I actually traded it off for a copy of TR3 + the guide. :/

I will never let somebody borrow a game of mine, and the only way a game leaves my house is if it stays in my sight the whole time. That's the way things gotta be. Disc games might look cheap, but they sure ain't cheap to replace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm far too possessive to lend out ANY games. And I've got more than enough games to play so I don't see the point in borrowing them (or renting for that matter).

And I'd just like to say that I love Space Channel 5.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not too hot on loaning out games, especially rarities. Wanna come over and play 'em? Feel free. But unless I'm going with it, or I really, really trust the people and environment my stuff will be in (I'd be OK with the CGE Museum, for example!), it doesn't leave my place.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The price on games is the deceptive things. While Thief Gold or System Shock 2 or Symphony of the Night or the Zelda bonus discs might be replaceable for $25-50 or so, it's not quite that simple. That $25-50 might not even get you the game if one's not for sale, and even if it does replace the game there might be a slight scratch on it, or there might be some other niggling and annoying thing with it that says: "If I hadn't lent it to X, I wouldn't have this flaw in my collection."

Of course, if you're lending out games that are > $50, then you're asking for trouble - especially if you are lending to a non-collector, but even to a collector it's a bad idea.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the bright side, it only was SC5. If anything happens, you can replace it with a brand new one for $3.

I don't lend out games anymore. After lending to 2 of my best friends and my cousin, and having them all come back in not mint condition, I got too irritated to even bother anymore..

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only person I would loan games to that are friends is Tynstar.
    In fact he has had my Zelda WW for 2 months now. I know I can trust him to keep them minty fresh.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have lent games out, but don't like doing it. I am paranoid about them till they are returned. I guess it depends on who it is who's asking to borrow them. I will say no if I don't trust the person will treat the games as I do and certains games are off limits to even the most trusted.

I have one friend who used to always want to borrow my NES games. this was like 17 or 18 years ago. He always got a big fat "no way". I always kept my games in the little cases and in a carrying case, my system was always covered when not in use. To this day all the NES stuff I bought in the late 80's is immaculate. Well my buddy was on the "no way" list because whenever we played at his place his carts were all strewn across the carpet loose, the system also lay on the floor with the door open. Manuals were either lost or being used as coasters. There was no way in hell my gleaming carts were ending up in that environment.

The funny thing is, is that last time I was at his place his PS2 was on the floor with the CD tray out and his games were in a stack on the TV all out of the cases. Needless to say he won't be borrowing any games.

I once lent Kingdom Hearts to a girl I work with and when I got it back it looked like it was used as a coaster.

I have loaned games to my brother in law. He has found games for me a few times and taken me to few places that resulted in significant scores so I feel obligated to let him borrow. He once wanted to borrow some NES games to take with him to a teachers conference. I said sure. He ended up wanting a bunch that were from my original collection all bought new. Qix, Klax, Blades of Steel, Galaga, Super Dodge Ball. He ends up having to head home early from the conference and tells me he left the games there and one of the other teachers was bringing them back for him. I did get them back but now when he borrows it's on condition that they don't leave his house and I now have an off limits list.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've got a couple of games on loan to some friends right now, but I work with both of them, so I see them often and I'm sure of their ability to care for other's property.

I'm not a huge fan of lending things out, I never have been, but exchanging things with someone for a little while is OK.

I've never had a bad experience *knocks on desk*, but I can tell you, as with most of the others that have chimed in, there are things in my collection that would never be lent out.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Want to play one of my games? Come to my place.

Want to play a game at your own place? Stop by the game store on the way home and buy your own.

Never a borrower or a lender be.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lending/borrowing is the fastest/surest way to destroy a friendship!
    I try to avoid it because it's a dangerous thing to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I learned my lesson when it comes to lending games. Once I let a friend borrow Super Street Fighter 2 for the Snes, and when I went to retrieve it it, he wasnt home and his nephews were playing catch with it.

So I dont lend out JACK anymore. Nobody's going to take care of your games better than you can. I dont have a massive collection like most of you, but I still treasure what I do have.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Ah, the horrors stories. I had a friend back in middle school that I'd regularly loan games to, knowing full well they'd come back with my saved games gone. I didn't really care back then and he usually got the new systems every Christmas, so I'd be there playing right beside him.

My cousins were worse and their behavior gradually groomed me into a miser where swapping was concerned; they'd borrow my games and then let -other- people borrow them.

Just don't do it no more.