Thread: PS2 Hard Drive

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Hard Drive

I just got a PS2 Network adapter and I noticed that it had a hard drive connection on it as well. And then I noticed the bay, and as you can see......I don't fiddle with my ps2, EVER! haha, so anyways.....I was curious if anybody knows if there is a way to use your own hard drive for it. I know they are releasing one soon.....but what will the use of it be? Can I save games on it or anything?

The hard drive I have is really spare.....so if I can use it anywhere, then that's just great. It just seems to me, that every time I use my ps2 and my memory card it takes forever to save games. I would obviously keep my memory card so that I could load files onto it and take them with me places but It would be a huge bonus to have a hard drive. So, to sum it up, I'm looking for anybody that knows anything about the hard drive functionality on PS2......TIA!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

i'm pretty sure it'd be impossible to rig it to accept a standard HD, not to mention you would have to find an external power source by using a spare HD.

Only a couple more months to go until it's released, be paitent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    i'm pretty sure it'd be impossible to rig it to accept a standard HD, not to mention you would have to find an external power source by using a spare HD.

Only a couple more months to go until it's released, be paitent
    Well I've toyed with stuff enough to know that there is one rule to the impossible: It's Possible, and i'm not trying to get smart or anything but everything is possible.......if sony has created it.....there is a way to get other stuff to work together, it just won't all snap together like the one that you can buy in march...more complex, which is fine with me

And.....an external power source? I'm not sure what you mean......

Anyways, i did the risky thing.....and threw my hd in my PS2 and set up my network adapter. You can hear the hard drive kick on so that's a good thing!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

All hard drives and other such drives need to have power supplied to them via the computers power supply... and unless you've got one just chilling by your PS2, I don't see it working.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

check out the back of the network adapter. There is a 40 pin IDE connection with a typical IDE power plug as well. But it's all built in. So it will only fit if your hard drive power plug and 40 pin connection are the same distance apart as what is on the back of the network adapter. You would kinda have to see it to know just what i'm talking about but that sums it up the best I can do right now.

Furthermore, I've looked on the net and there appears to be some stuff about loading some software but i'm not about to mod my ps2 or take it apart or anything of the like to get some disc to read so my hard drive can be found.....maybe there will one day be an easier way....