Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Gunstar Heroes

The DP Random Game Generator of Games that I Consider A "Ten" (tm) has brought forth Gunstar Heroes, that little classic for the Sega Genesis.

See my "SLANT" below, for my personal opinion. Then let's hear yours! Everyone has played this game. Discuss.

DP Guide sez:

U.S. Game Releases
    Gunstar Heroes (Genesis, by Sega) $25/R4 +
    Developed by Treasure. As if the game wasn't great enough, it was originally packed with a sample of "Fruit Roll-ups"! SANTULLI SLANT: Once upon a time this game was the classic "sleeper", a top ten game with practically no advertising and very little buzz. Today, you can't even call yourself "in the loop" if you don't know about Gunstar Heroes. The game that really put development house Treasure on the map, the game takes the familiar elements of side-scrolling platform shooters like Contra and changes everything you've learned. For example, you have control over the power-ups you grab in that you can mix-and-match to form your own favorite variety of firepower. The level designs are outrageous and memorable, especially the board-game level composed entirely of mini-games. Gigantic bosses, rich, colorful visuals, and frantic, simultaneous two-player action... THIS is how all games should be done. [Gr: 9, So: 8, Ga: 10, Ov: 10] Released 1993.

Non-U.S. Game Releases
    Gunstar Heroes (Game Gear, by Sega) $/R +
    Developed by Treasure. Released 1995. #G-3347.

Gunstar Heroes (Genesis, by Sega) $0/R4 +
    Developed by Treasure. Released 1993.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by The DP Reviews page
    "Note that we very rarely give anything a 10 in any category."
    That says a lot about Gunstar. Getting a 10 in both Gameplay and Overall is nothing to sneeze at.

It's personally my favorite Genesis title, but I didn't have the system until after it was considered obsolete, so I wasn't privy to the system while it was in it's prime. I was a Nintendo devotee.

Actually, Gunstar is the reason I bought the Genesis in the first place. I might not be good at the game itself, but I have a blast playing it, and that's what gaming's all about.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVE THIS GAME! I played it back in the day when it came out and I was an instant Treasure convert forever. 2 Players.....AMAZING. The heights they pushed the Genesis to with this game just blow me away still....I'd swear it had actual 3D in it Just....wow. ANYONE who can should play this game, and not only that, play it with a friend, and keeep playing it till you've beat it, then play it some more!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It's good, but your character runs SLOW and jumps sluggishly. It could just be me, but everything in the game as a general rule isn't as quick paced as Contra Hard Corps, which I ultimately prefer for that reason. That said, I'm still looking for a copy of this game- it's still very fun and an excellent showcase for the Genesis' ability to handle large sprites and other graphic tricks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always been a super snes fan from the beginning and I could never figure out what was so great about genesis games. I first played Gunstar heroes the year it came out and after 20 seconds i said, "What the Hell's so great?". Well I kept reading about Gunstar heroes so last week I decided to give it another try. I kept playing until I got familiar with the controlls and after 30 minutes of trying to beat the first level I was hooked. I could not put the controller down until I beat this game. This game is absolutely brilliant and I can't believe I passed this up when it first came out. This has gone up as one of my favorite games and I think it deserves a 10. Well maybe a 9 because there is slow down. Are there any other shooters that are this fun? The metal slug series?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I've always loved it, but also always found it to be too easy. I've never beaten Contra on the Genny at that says something. The effects in this one are stunning. I'll never forget seeing the first stage boss in all his walking box glory for the first time. The weapons system never gets enough credit either. This one SOOO needs a sequel.....2-D sequel that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forget what made me buy this game when I spied it during a video run at the local Blockbuster, but I think it was from reading a gushing writeup about it in Diehard Gamefan. What more can be said about this game that hasn't already been written. I loved it. It was an amazing push of the Genesis hardware to a point where it hadn't really been before.. those guys knew what they were doing. I give it a solid 10 in the Genesis realm

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

My favorite Genny game of all time. I recall a friend of mine wanting to go check it out when it first came out... I had never heard of it until then. Anyway, he rented it, and when I dropped by to check it out, I couldn't believe how good it was! For some odd reason, though, I didn't pick it up for another year or so. Beats me as to why... I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Anyway, here's what I had to say about GH on my Top 100 at the OPCFG (it placed at #3, btw):

"My favorite Treasure game ever - and one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Combine Contra style gameplay with Mega Man-esque character designs, a dash of Double Dragon and a huge dose of originality - and you'll just be starting to come close to what Gunstar Heroes is."

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

gunstar rocks, I dunno what else to say except that the combining of weapons was my favorite part about the game..
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Along with Primal Rage and Thundercats, Gunstar Heroes is one of the legendary TecToy games for the Sega Master System that almost certainly doesn't exist.

...but it did come out for the Gamegear in Japan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is what the Genesis is all about! This was my favorite game. I remember reading about it in Diehard Gamefan but I couldn't find it anywhere. I found it in my local game store by accident. I remember it being priced really low for a new game.

I love the 2-player action. My old college friend and I would play this game for hours. Our favorite stage was the board-game stage. We sould spend a lot of time throwing each other instead of the dice Oh and when you finally beat the level and the boss guy would give you the bomb! That was great. We would sit there and shot him until our fingers got tired.

I was really surprised when the game took off into outer space. I just knew we beat the game and there were more stages. It just kept giving and giving!

Another thing to note about this game was the music. It really added to the game experience.
    Take care,
    Dennis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game! I had a SNES when I was alive during that period of console history. But lots of people had Gennys and those who liked Sonic usually had this game Fun two player.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Back in the day, my aunt was the one with the genesis, and I'd spend weekends over there to play on hers. Well, one day she went to the store, wanting to buy a new game, and I saw Gunstar Heroes on the shelf for 10 bucks, It looked interesting, and had that fruit roll up in it, and I certainly couldn't argue that, so she got that. I popped it in, and found it to be one of the absolute sweetest games I'd ever played over there.

She still has that genesis hooked up, and whenever any of her nephews or neices come by, Gunstar is always the first game they put in, and it stays in almost the whole time. That should just attest to its quality.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I got three games along with my Genesis. Sonic the Hedgehog was one of them. Streets of Rage was another one. The third game? Bingo, Gunstar Heroes. Contra... on HYPER-STEROIDS!!! There's just so much innovation crammed into this title, like the Dice Palace, and every individual space takes you to a completely original challenge, and then all of Green's stage is constantly auto-scrolling, and the climax with Seven Force is godly, especially if you're on Hard difficulty! The majority of the sixth stage is a shmup, and you have to deal with countless asteroids, turrets, soldiers, and the return of Seven Force, and then the boss of that stage, the Guardian of the Core... I especially like the Running Man form. And then, you take on all the bosses at the end, but they're not rehashes, and they got all new machines and strategies, and Orange and Green are especially painful to battle, and then the final boss, Golden Silver... he doesn't look like much, but with 9999 hit points, a very unorthodox way of movement, blinding fast attacks, and the gems (his Achille's Heel) make this battle especially difficult when they join in to kick your ass... HOLY FREAKING CRAP, I love this game so much!!! Can't remember the last time I played it... I'll get around to it later.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is one of the few Genny games I need to get for playability reasons. My friend came over a few days ago with it and we played it for an hour, getting to the third boss before finally succumbing to the insanity. I love these types of games, while not quite as good in my opinion as Metal Slug, it's really really REALLY damn close.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're a fan of run 'n gun shooters, it doesn't get much better than Gunstar Heroes. Even Metal Slug, a fantastic Contra derivitive in its own right, doesn't approach Gunstar Heroes' level of perfection.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Uh....

I've never played this game.

I guess I need to find it and fire it up.....
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Uh....

I've never played this game.

I guess I need to find it and fire it up.....
    Noob
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

What can I say? I've always played Nintendo systems. I only started fooling around with Sega systems in the last two years.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I love this game! it's one the few games I cna play without remembering what I did last and get really into it, and then continue playing it! I can usually do great until the Dice Maze, then i start going downhill unless I get lucky with the dice throws.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)