Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Game O' the Day: Gunstar Heroes

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gunstar Heroes- What can i say that hasnt been said before? The game is absolutely one of the best shooters around, and is hard to put down. This and Dynamite Headdy are my two favorite games. Pick it up and have a blast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gunstar Heroes is just one of those great "kitchen sink" moments when a group of creative people are finally given the freedom to do everything they've ever wanted. It almost seems limiting to think of it as a run-and-gun shooter.

I remember that this was a game that was a holy grail for the hard-core gamers; especially the zine crowd. Why did most Genesis owners never see it? What was the deal with the Fruit Roll-Ups? Who passed up the original box art for the American version? What the hell was Sega thinking? I remember this was when they were busy pushing the Sega CD and 32X, just before the Saturn arrived. It's funny now to realize just how incompetent they were at that time. You'd think the executives were deliberately trying to tank the company.

Anyway, Gunstar Heroes the GAME. Fabulous, wonderful, everything a videogame aspires to be. What do I think of when I think of Gunstar? Wonderfully fast, loads of explosions, mix-and-match weapons, jump kicks, diving, sliding, blocking, cartooney bad guys, suicide bombers, blowing up the green houses, killer bees, dice mazes, space ships, morphing robots, rice and curry, the giant smiley face that doesn't fight back, the villain who looks like M. Bison, said villain who hurls his own soldiers at you, the other villain who looks just like Jesse Ventura (or the General from "Akira"), said villain's "fart attack," Green's morphing machine, characters named after colors (!), the wildest visual effects of the 16-bit era (possibly ever), the sharpest soundtrack ever heard on the Genesis, the final level's "through the TV set" effect, the Final Fight-"smash the vehicle" bonus stage (with a soldier stuck inside)...

Did I miss something? Yeah, probably did. I can't imagine that anyone who frequents this website hasn't played it to death. Those who haven't really should make some sort of pennance. How many "Hail Mary's" should that be?
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I can't add much that hasn't been said. When I show friends this game, I usually have to show them where to go buy a Genesis and a copy of this game. That probably says it all actually...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my favorite genesis games. Side scrolling shooter in full glory.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The graphics may age, but the gameplay never ages.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I really dig Gunstar Heroes...

Quote Originally Posted by old le geek review
    Gunstar Heroes takes the basic "Contra" senario to new heights with Anime style characters, excellent music, super weapon setups, amazing special effects, and excellent, varied gameplay. The tasks never get too repetitive and the overall effect is similar to playing a Japanimation movie. IMHO, one of the best Genesis games.
    While my old review is pretty weak, this game (along with Diehard Gamefan) got me started with my Obsession with Treasure (Currently have 12 of there games).

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought this game today and am also playing it for the first time too.

Dear god......

This is easily the most amazing Mega Drive game I've EVER played - it easily tops the list as my favourite Mega Drive game. It's also my first Treasure experience too, which has prompted me to hunt down their other games too.

The game has also significantly lifted my opinion of the Mega Drive from "SNES wannabe". This game really shows that the Mega Drive was every bit as good as Nintendo's 16-bit'er.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default G Heroes

Simply one of the very best games ever made. That's not faint praise coming from someone who has played thousands of games in over 25 years.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

You would think that with all of SEGA's releases of Gunstar Heroes (Genesis/MD, Game Gear, Android, iOS, 3DS, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Windows, Macintosh, and now, PS4 and Xbox "One"), that the price for the original cartridge would have plummeted to the $5 zone. Not so! And surprisingly enough, it seems the price has increased quite a bit in the last six years: $40 - $50 for cart-only, $120 for complete North American copies.

(Sorry for all of the "Look at the price!" posts lately. It's just that I've noticed a few games of mine with outstanding prices, and I was really surprised by this one.)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nz17 For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (06-16-2018)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    You would think that with all of SEGA's releases of Gunstar Heroes (Genesis/MD, Game Gear, Android, iOS, 3DS, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Windows, Macintosh, and now, PS4 and Xbox "One"), that the price for the original cartridge would have plummeted to the $5 zone. Not so! And surprisingly enough, it seems the price has increased quite a bit in the last six years: $40 - $50 for cart-only, $120 for complete North American copies.

(Sorry for all of the "Look at the price!" posts lately. It's just that I've noticed a few games of mine with outstanding prices, and I was really surprised by this one.)
    Understandably so, its one of the very best Genesis titles.. arguably the BEST genesis title (although I think Dynamite Headdy is cooler).

And yeah, its really not a rare but people/collectors want originals..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was just looking at all the people that use to be on this site (in this post) and how most quit coming to Digitalpress in 2016/2017.