Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody explain the whole "Metal Slug Phenomena&qu

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can somebody explain the whole "Metal Slug Phenomena&qu

First off, let me say that I don't know a damn thing about Metal Slug. The only thing I know is that it is a Neo Geo game. But I really don't know anything else about it.

But people are always talking about Metal Slug this, and Metal Slug that.

So if somebody could please breakdown the whole Metal Slug Phenomena for me, I would be greatly appreciative of that.

Thanks.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Metal Slug is a great deal like the old 2-D Contra games... it's a side-scrolling shooter/platform hybrid with very fluid cartoony graphics and a lot of humorous touchs. You have the ability to use tanks for short periods of time, and some of the later games have incorporated aircraft into the mix. It's a great game series, but it isn't all that... Gunstar Heroes is better IMHO.

I think that Neo-Geo collectors are a particularly rabid (and occasionally insane) bunch of folks who have a tendency to take their games and collections far too seriously... maybe that has helped with the "Metal Slug mystique." The original Metal slug home cart (english version) is VERY sought-after and costs upwards and over $1000 for a good copy. That's a hell of a lot of money for a fun but fairly simple and unfortunately short game.

Get the PSone game Metal Slug X if you want to see what it's all about... I think (but am not sure) that its an update of Metal Slug 2. It's not as smooth and pretty as the Neo Geo versions, but it gives you a good idea of what to expect. Metal Slug 5 may or may not be released here for the PS2. The original is also available for the import PSX and Saturn (the Saturn game is superior and uses the 1 meg ram cart) I think that a GBA game is coming soon, too.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal Slug

Metal Slug is one of the defining games of the 2D genre. It is a sideways scrolling shoot 'em up in the vein of games such as Contra and it was a highly successful arcade game as well. You control a soldier who blasts his way through hordes of enemies with a variety of weapons and rescues prisoners along the way ... who usually reward you with a power up of some sort. At various points you get the opportunity to hop into a "Metal Slug" - a miniature one man tank, with which you can wreak havoc with far greater impunity! Oh, and the tank can jump

That's the basics. Why does everyone rant about it so much? Well, because it is done so well ... the original Metal Slug had all hand drawn sprites and stunning backdrops. There are tons of little situation jokes in the game ... eg. when you are approaching one of the enemy bases blowing up vehicles and buildings that you encounter, one of them is a W.C. - blowing this up reveals a terrified soldier sitting on the porcelain throne. If you don't shoot him quickly enough, he dives down the toilet to escape!!

The gameplay is impeccable, and the music is great as well. Quite simply, it is one of those games that tickles the edge of perfection. And the Neo Geo version is startlingly rare. And expensive.

That's all I know really. And I know precisely nothing about any of the sequels..

Vroomfunkel

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Metal Slug is indeed a great game series... it came along at a time when Contra fans were deprived of a new Contra, and I think that may have helped it along. The gemeplay, graphics and humor helped, of course.

Anthony - if you want to learn more about MS, why not visit my MS site, Metal Slug: Iron Cavalrymen In Hell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good fun game. Over the top Contra style game with lots of blood (or sweat depending on your settings).

You can play it in Mame I believe if you want to check it out in a pinch.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Oops... i've created some repetition in the threads by editing my post during the time Vroomfunkel posted... sorry about that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Metal Slug is one of those incredibly fun arcade platform shmups that catches the fancy of people who don't even like the genre that much. It's cartoony, its over the top, its incredibly well made, and the entire series stands out as some of the most graphically beautiful neo geo games. They aren't necessarily the best in their genre (although they are among the top slots), but they are entertaining, and have made SNK and arcade operators a pretty penny.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses on this. I kept seeing the words "Metal Slug" over and over in different places, and I was curious as to what all the fuss was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just play it on NeoRage if you have no other way to play it and you'll see why it has so many fans!!
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

THIS photo sums Metal Slug up in a limitless amount of words:

Indeed.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga

Indeed.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mindless fun, that is the best description of Metal Slug. I play it using Kawa on the X-Box. 32 inches of Metal Slug goodness!
    GameGuru
    Visit Nostalgia Gaming if you like classic gaming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've played Metal Slug 1 (on Kawaks) and Metal Slug 4 (on freeplay at the arcade ), and I must say I am slightly confused about all the hoopla too. I mean, they're very nicely done games, and there are many clever ideas, but ultimately they seem to be all about playing the same stages over and over again, memorizing patterns, and trying to get that one last POW.

Oh, and what's up with the ending of Metal Slug 1? You watch that paper airplane fly over all the levels you blasted through, past all the destruction and dead bodies... Is there some deeper meaning here?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubnb

Indeed.
    HAHAHA
    http://www.davidwhite.cjb.net
    CitizenWhite(at)hotmail(dot)com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    I've played Metal Slug 1 (on Kawaks) and Metal Slug 4 (on freeplay at the arcade ), and I must say I am slightly confused about all the hoopla too. I mean, they're very nicely done games, and there are many clever ideas, but ultimately they seem to be all about playing the same stages over and over again, memorizing patterns, and trying to get that one last POW.
    Plus alternate routes I think one of the joys of MS is the fact that it is -- at its heart -- an old school run and gunner just juiced way, way up. Gorgeous animation, really over the top violence, big explosions and lots of things to shoor. Basically, once Konami dropped the ball with the Contra series, Slug stepped up and surpassed its predecessor in just about everyway.

Jay Dub -- who's saving his chips for Slug V.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Indeed.
    ACK!

Stupid Geocities and their crappy ability to link to photos... well, what that was supposed to be was an enemy soldier after being blasted by the flamethrower. I just love that animation for being humorous and violent at the same time! +

I was playing MS2 last night... and I died on the first stage. Crap. Then I went on over to MS3, and I whomped the first stage without dying, rescuing ten POW's, including the female sergeant, Rumi Aikawa, and the gun-toting monkey, Utan! Scored many points, I did. Then I died repeatedly on the second stage. Go figure. Stage 2 in MS2 is my favorite for the atmosphere and the music, which adds even more to the atmosphere. It's supposed to be like an intense B-horror movie where zombies will try to turn you into one of them, and if you become one, you move really slow and can't use any special weapons, but you're able to barf out this ultra-destructive blood laser!

MS3 is my personal favorite of the games, then MSX, then the original MS, then 2, (I played X before 2) then 4. Not that MS4 is a bad game, but compared to 3, it could have been somewhat better. Still, any MS game you play is a quality action-platformer that will certainly provide much challenge for your gaming pleasure!

(P.S.: Haven't played MS5 yet... I've heard some mixed reviews, but I still really want to play it.)

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed.
    Indeed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second everything that's been said but would add a very important aspect (For me at least): These games are created with love. You can tell the developers love the franchise and actually give a damn about it - it's all the little touches and animations that they add to it. It's got great classic gameplay, but add to that the simple fact that the game makes you happy to look at. I first played it MANY years ago in an arcade, when it was still amazing to look at (being weened on NES+ 2D games) - that was part of the allure. Fast forward to now - its still a joy to behold, but furthermore SNK stubborn adherence to their anicent hardware just adds to the nostalgia factor, and thus a lot to the fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed.
    no kiddin', funniest thing i've seen in weeks
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Jay's little bust on me gets funnier every time I think of it! It's cool, I like laughing at myself.

Anyway, back to the original matter at hand here, Metal Slug rocks. It's pretty darned violent... but you need to have the blood "on" in your Neo Geo's menu. Otherwise, it just registers as milk... I think it's milk myself. Sweat can't be THAT white, can it? Anyway, there are also some other gruesome details that are missing without the blood, such as the arabian soldiers in stage one of MS2, whose heads roll if you hit them with an explosive. There's even just a VERY little bit of nudity in MS3... if Eri or Fio get hit with acid... heh. You can't see much, because their skin melts soon after their clothes, but it's there.