Thread: Activision (Anthology) games you'll never get a patch for...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Activision (Anthology) games you'll never get a patch for...

I'm a bit late on playing this masterpiece (I got it for Xmas) & I apologize if anything like it has already been posted. I was wondering what games seem impossible for you to ever acquire the respective patch?
    I got around half of them so far, not that I worked for them & most are MUCH easier to get now, but there are a few I'll probably never see:

H.E.R.O.- the patch req is the same as the 2600 game. I've come close (around 60K) a few times but, due to cheap deaths or mistakenly hitting L1 (bad idea, programmers!) I can't do it & probably never will.

Decathlon- A friend actually got the gold on my Atari XL game. I think I got close to a silver. Again, the reqs are close but IMO the DualShock2 isn't suited for the game. Plus the standard joystick was a workout- I recall being physically tired after playing!

Pressure Cooker- never saw/played this game before. It's totally new to me & getting the patch is a LONG way off.

Beamrider- See above.

Sky Jinks- Another never seen/played. It's a scroller like Skiing, both by Bob Whitehead. There isn't enough there to keep me trying.

Laser Blast- Once you find/develop the pattern, it's easy, plus you only need 10% of the original score(s) for each patch. Simply a matter of sitting still to play so long.

Barnstorming- I couldn't believe the req was so hard- <54 secs (game 3). I spent 2-3 hrs total trying to get it, & finally squeaked in w/ 53.99 secs. Whew!

Grand Prix- Impossible w/out total luck.

Tennis- it's gonna be hard to beat the computer!

What games/patches are beyond YOUR reach?

Also, what criteria/who decided which '80s songs went in the game? It's good overall but I can think of several more popular songs than what they used- I suspect copyrights played a part...
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Activision (Anthology) games you'll never get a patch fo

Yeah, there's another batch of '80s tunes in the PC & MAC versions... But the coolest thing about the music in the "Remix Edition" is: you can use your own MP3 playlists, CDs, or even streaming radio stations!

-PongHit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Activision (Anthology) games you'll never get a patch fo

Well, let's see. He mentions an "L1 button" and "Dual Shock Controllers."

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

If you're feeling blue because you can't get a particular patch, here's ALL of them, just for you.

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/cc_patches_2600.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Ed Oscuro- ???

I was trying to say my finger sometimes hits L1 while playing, which is the Game Select on the PS2 version, thereby wiping out my attempt at a high score.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    @ Ed Oscuro- ???

I was trying to say my finger sometimes hits L1 while playing, which is the Game Select on the PS2 version, thereby wiping out my attempt at a high score.
    It looks confusing now because PongHit edited his message. ORIGINALLY he had asked if you were talking about the PS2 or the GBA version, Ed O was just giving him a clue.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    ... my finger sometimes hits L1 while playing, which is the Game Select on the PS2 version, thereby wiping out my attempt at a high score.
    I have a similar problem with the GBA version of the Anthology... A combination of the "L" shoulder button & the D-pad will change the difficulty settings, & I have an SP, so the "R" & "L" buttons are on the back, where I'm holding it... Grrrrr...

-PongHit

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    It looks confusing now because PongHit edited his message. ORIGINALLY he had asked if you were talking about the PS2 or the GBA version, Ed O was just giving him a clue.
    Guilty as charged -- I asked the question before I noticed the PS2 clues. Before I saw Ed O's reply, I edited my post accordingly...

-PongHit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah- I get it.

Anyway, yeah, you'd think they'd make it not so easy to change levels/interrupt the game by using a button your fingers NATURALLY move to.

Another small gripe is w/ the difficulty switch (L2 on PS2). There's no indication you've switched it, save for how the characters/action appears onscreen, & if you don't KNOW if the game even uses difficulty switches, you could be playing the harder game all along (until you check the virtual manual)!