Thread: Memories being lost...

Strawberry (Level 2) icarwngs55's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Memories being lost...

I just wanted to address the subject that I have been seeing more and more Gamestops (amoungst other gaming stores) stop selling their old games. This to me is betraying what the original premise of Gamestop was, to sell old, used, and new games....Now it looks as though their slogan is come buy our new stuff at outragous prices and if u want to trade in any old stuff heres a nickel and we'll throw it out (quite a long slogan). Also the problem with the few remaining Gamestops that do keep old NES or Snes games, is that they throw out the boxes even if they are in immaculate condition, I personally have a major problem with this, and even though I beg and plead for them to just set the boxes aside, they do nothing of the sort.

Let me know what u guys think
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry to have bored,
    Doc

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Believe you me, this topic has been beaten to death. If you give the forums a search, you'll no doubt come up with plenty of stroies that echo what you said.

BTW, selling old games was more of a Funcoland thing rather than Gamestop. Slowly but surely, all remnants of Funcoland are disappearing. It's sad, but there's not much we can do.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately Gamestop is not in the business to support our collecting habits, otherwise there would be more stores out there that would cater to us. Gamestop makes its profit on the markup. Bigger markup = bigger profit. They cannot afford to use what little space they have for out of date games (let alone their boxes) that, lets be honest here, the majority of modern gamers do not want. There is little profit on a 29 cent Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt or Madden '9X game carts. That's why you don't see many (if any) stores that sell classic games. If you feel otherwise, I suggest you invest your own money and open your own store. Alternatively, I may suggest going to pawn shops, flea markets, goodwills, garage sales, swap meets, or ebay to find your classic gaming goodness.

Strawberry (Level 2) icarwngs55's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I said sorry to beat a dead horse (NAHHHHHHH!) and bore some of you. My overall point was that more and more of Funcoland is disappearing though I didn't say it...Especially those statues of Mario,Pikachu, and star fox (If anyone knows where I can get an affordable one I have been dying for one)...And I do shop at fleamarkets, pawn shops, etc. ...It is just hard as winter goes on I thought I could always confide in Gamestop...but apparently they lack the ability to go onselling what us collectors desire...and ebay gets a bit pricey...since I am a 19 year old colege student...I need deals where ever I can get them...

Thanks for readin,
    Doc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, ebay.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I as well have a problem with gamestop and funco throwing the game boxes away even if there in perfect condition when trading in games. I mean I had not traded anything in of mine since about 6 years ago (I collect everything now). I would love to get the box when buying the games though when I do go to funco. If they stop selling the old games there is no reason for me to go their anymore.
    I do go to Babbages though to reserve my gamecube games.