Thread: New School Collector wanting Old School Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New School Collector wanting Old School Help

Ok, I consider myself to be a collector, but I am the type of person to always push myself to the next level. I want to start collecting for older systems (essentially snes/genesis on down). I am hoping that you guys that actually collect these things can give me some tips. I also only have at the most 100 bucks a month to spend on games (I'm in college). When I say tips, I mean, does it matter that much to have the box and/or complete version of every game, or can I stick to carts. On the latter, I really don't want to just buy up stock piles of 2600 games from eBay that don't come from boxes if other collectors say that what I have is crap. I have seen some of you talking about auctions that sell like 500 games, and you guys say that the auction isn't worth near as much as its going for. Quality, complete, boxes or no, whatever.

Also, I know this part is in the wrong section (in a way), but I also want to add at least one prototype cartridge and a true beta (no burnt cds or anything), but I don't want to get things that are crap. How much does it cost, on average, for a prototype cart? Is there any way a college student with little income could get a NES one or something like that for less than $50?

Hopefully you guys can give me some damn good tips, and help me on my way to getting more games. I know my weak point in my collection is this. I just happened to look and see that I am pretty even with the average collector with newer systems, but then they get into NES/SNES/2600/etc. and all I can do is gawk. I seriously only have like 5-10 NES games, 10-20 SNES games, 20-30 Genesis games, and no 2600 games, nothing atari, no coleco, none of that. I need more of all the things I said, I need to up my collection, but I don't want to do it with utter crap, but then again, I don't want to try and track down everything one game at a time paying 100+ per game I track down.

Any help is appreciated fellas

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope. No NES proto for $50. they are unusually hard to get. You are probably lookign at $150 +
    Unreleased is alot different. Before Raisins:The great Escape was dumped it was valued at $1400. Thats unreleased though.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll drop you a PM in a week or so, after my latest sale goes through, I will sell you a ton of Atari games at Starcade prices (read: cheap).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awesome, that is why i came to this forum rather than any other one. I was hoping the protos would not be expensive, but I guess they are. I just think it would be cool to have pretty much any proto in my collection just to say I have one.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    awesome, that is why i came to this forum rather than any other one. I was hoping the protos would not be expensive, but I guess they are. I just think it would be cool to have pretty much any proto in my collection just to say I have one.
    I payed $60 for a Ms. Pac-man prototype. For teh Atari 2600. Some of teh otehr systems don't run quite as high.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

$100 a month is pretty tight. One lot can eat that up.

As far as protos, now doesn't seem to be the time. You probably can squeeze out an original CD proto for $50, but you will have to shop around for it. Cart protos, Genesis and SNES probably, NES, no. A standard's been set, and it's out of your range for now.

Ok, tips. First off, you can make that $100 go farther by going for loose. I honestly find it weird for someone to say your collection is crap because the carts are loose.. to each his own, but I don't think you should let these people get in your way.

Your best bet is start with lots. Lots gives you the benefit of $X/game averages. Do the math, and get the lowest average, which will equal the most games. Bulk is your concern now. I'd start with a NES lot one month, Genesis the next, 2600 next, and so on. SNES is probably too pricey right now (unless you hunt on eBay well) to get a good average to stretch your dollar. Your collection is small now, but that's good, as it allows you to take in more with less dupes.

But the other half of bulk, the other concern is getting games you'll want to play, and just don't sit there. 50 sports games?! For $30? Sounds good until you don't even play them. Again, look at the lots. Look through these forums for suggestions for good games - the systems you mentioned, there's surely a ton of them that you'll enjoy.

Other than lots, you could go the resell route. Use the $100 to hunt for valuable titles, and resell them. Even for now, even if you don't have the game. Final Fantasy III complete for $1? Sure, you can't pass that up, but you would come out with it with at least $25 profit for it. (I don't know going rates on FF3 complete... it fluxes alot) So now you're up to $124 for that month. If you already have the game, even better! Now qualms about letting it go.

So that's how I think you should go. Lots for purchasing, and reselling to increase your monthly spending pool.

Did we mention the DP guide? http://www.digitpress.com/dpg_plug.htm

Very useful. It'll keep you from overpaying, and allow you to recognize what you have. Good checklist, and good for looking for new games for the month. (And holy bathroom material... you don't want to know how much I've learned about the 2600 thanks to my colon)

Individual tips:
    1. Decide now: complete or loose. Some systems, you don't have a choice. NES... going complete out of the bat pretty much nixed Funcostop/EBs from your resource list - and they'll help you more than hurt. However, Genesis at least boxed, is actually fairly easier - a lot of game stores and people keep the boxes for Genesis, and they're self contained. I can't tell you how to go - you have to choose what you're happiest with.

2. Do you have a local game store? Do you know the guys who work there? Do they seem like guys you'd like to know? Then go for it! I've gotten so much from my Funcoland hookup, from deals, to holding boxes for me, to display materials. Even better, work there, even a day a week. Fringe benefits for the collecter are nice!

3. On eBay, use common sense and logic, and don't get caught up in the moment. Your $100 has to be played smartly. If you see a game you want going for $X, makes sure that's the norm! DP guide, search completed, or ask us! Due diligence goes a long way towards making your money go the same distance.

4. Salv. Army, Goodwill, Thrifts, Consignment, Garage Sales, Flea Markets. Home of people who have no idea what they have. One man's junk is shit you want - bad, and they'll give away dirt ass cheap. (Usually...)

I'm sure there's more, and I'll add 'em as I think of them.

Good luck!

dave

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The most important thing anyone can tell you, with regards to your first paragraph, is to collect what you like. If you like boxed games, then seek them out. If you prefer loose games just to play, then go that route. You can't worry about what other collectors will say when it comes to your collection. If you want to stock pile loose 2600 games, then go for it - many collectors have loads of loose games. The only person you need to satisfy in collecting is yourself.

Is there any way a college student with little income could get a NES one or something like that for less than $50?
    Now, I don't mean to be tooting my own horn here, but here's some recent evidence that a little patience and a whole lot of luck can lead you to these goals sometimes.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27003

While that's obviously abnormal, don't let the hunt discourage you - there are good finds still to be had out there. It's just a lot harder than plunking down the cash straight-away for a rarity. Good luck with your new collecting goals!
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate all your guy's help. I really do. And one of you gave me a good idea that I have been meaning to do for a long, long time, and that is talk to the manager at my local game store so I can get a job. I willl hopefully be around alot more, so I'll end up asking you guys about big bulk lots I see on eBay or something, it never hurts to talk to you guys about it. Another thing, I had no idea that Goodwill sold video games. I am definetely going to have to check them out, I live a mile or 2 away from one.

I am editing this because I got reminded of a deal that I thought was pretty damn good. I got T-Mek for 32x For $9 and some odd cents at my local game store, and this place says its worth $30. I only bought it because I used to be insane at the game at the arcades. Granted, it was no proto for free, but I'll take any deal I can.