Thread: General NES Info?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default General NES Info?

I scrolled through this forum and couldn't really find what I was looking for (although I'm a notoriously bad searcher). Is there a thread or a link to general NES maintenance and repair?

I am in the process of hooking up all my old consoles once again. Both of my old two front loaders just blink or reset with all of my games. As a kid I saw people blow out the games quickly like a harmonica -- I tried that too but to no avail. I did read something about bending pins, but I'm not really sure what or how to do that.

The main reason I'm asking is I see quite a few top loaders on eBay right now. Would it be better to just buy one of those? They seem kind of high. If I could bend the pins and get mine working again I would do that, but I would probably buy a top loader before I tried installing a new set of pins.

Any help, links or advice from you guys would be appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread should confuse you even more, and send you to what I consider the 'Dark Side'- Top Loader preference. RF out only Suck diddly ucks, therefore top loaders are overrated IMO.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20849

FABombjoy's method is good (in that thread), and seems more reliable than new pins ( in the last 15 or so NES's I've done).

I wrote a tutorial here: http://www.cgcc.ca/articles/projects/nespin.php . Just ignore the first part where I say a "new" pin is always the best option. I'm not so sure anymore.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this is where I got the 'bending pin to fix your NES' directions:

http://www.planetnintendo.com/thewar...ech/fixnes.txt

If not, it's very similar. It works very good and you get the quality a/v output from the toaster. Im in the anti toploader camp. Also, you dont get the vice like grip of a new 72 pin.
    "You're just a poser wanna-be." - RaccoonLad describing yours truly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This is basically the same as 1bigmig's post, but it has pics, so you may find it more helpful. It deals with pin bending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FABombjoys method involves no bending, but sanding. I like it so far, and it's ZIF (unlike new pins which are HIF - HEAVY Insertion Force ) after which is cool. After the sanding they all seem to pass with my NTF2 cart, which is more than I can say for the new pins .
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I would worry about with sanding is that it will wear away contacts on the games even if a very fine grit is used. I won one lot of games a while back with sandpapered contacts and was not happy. While this is definitely worse for the games, I want to make sure everything lasts as long as possible.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@§ Gideon §:

That's the site I was looking for, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can sandpapered connector contacts effect the games? Do you mean the possibilty of a 'coarse' contact damaging the contact on the game?

I suppose that possible, but it seems less dangerous than a new connector with it's vise like grip. The contacts are meant to be rubbed.

Time will tell I imagine.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    Do you mean the possibilty of a 'coarse' contact damaging the contact on the game?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I suppose that possible, but it seems less dangerous than a new connector with it's vise like grip.
    Youre probably right about the new connector being more dangerous. I think sanding the 72 would only cause minimal damage to the contacts of the game, but it would bother me. One solution though, I do have a lot of extra game genies and I could insert that a hundred times or so and that would probably dull any sharp edges that may damage the contacts. Also, a game genie is good to use after bending the pins. After I bent them, the connector was fairly tight, so I inserted a game genie about twenty times or so and then it was perfect (since the board on a game genie is thicker to stretch the pins a little)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like a good use for a clean SMB/DH - 'breaking in' the contacts.

I'm not convinced it's necessary, but that would be a good way to deal with it if you were concerned.