Thread: Cursed Item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Cursed Item.

Right before Christmas, I bought a Hypertech Truck Programmer for my dad's Christmas present. You may remember, I bitched about it at the time. Basically, I circumvented every possible security manner -- the guy ended the auction early so I couldn't leave feedback, I paid PayPal from my bank account instead of a credit card, etc. These items go for $350 new but he had one for $200, NIB. Now, the kicker here is, these things can only be used on one truck at a time. If you program a truck, you have to reset the truck back to factory settings before you can use this on another truck. That's why I bought this one, because it was NIB.

Well it turned out that it was not NIB. It had been used. And the seller owned a car shop in California, and used it on a customer's car. "Must've been a mix up" he said. Plus, instead of $200, he wanted $250, and $25 for FedEx. I was desperate for a Christmas gift, so I paid it.

The guy would not offer me a refund. Instead, he wanted me to send the unit back to him so he could reset it. I checked all over the web and even with the company and they say there is no way to reset it. Then the guy changed his story and said he has a dealer's deal with them and he can send it back to them since he has the original receipt and they will fix it for him since he's a dealer, but not for me. So if I will just send him the unit (so now he has the unit AND the money) he will take care of it for me.

Needless to say, I felt more than uneasy about this. Plus the guy said he would fax me a contract stating that he would honor the deal and whatnot, well he never sent that. And he got a lot more hateful in his e-mails with me as time went on.

So, the day after Christmas, I went with my dad and bought him a new programmer, which with tax came to close to $400.

So here were my thoughts. I could sell it "as/is" on eBay and claim not to know the condition. That's pretty dirty, and I ruled that one out quickly. I could sell it "as/is" and state the condition -- maybe there is a way to reset them that I just don't know about. I could send it back to him and he could rip me off, which really isn't much worse than where I am now since it's not functional. Or best case scenario, I could send it back to him, he could fix it, and send it back to me. Since he wanted me to pay for shipping (both ways) that's at least $20, and since they sell working used for about $200, that would net me $180 back.

After thinking long and hard I decided to sell it as/is on eBay with a full disclosure as to its current state. I said something like, "maybe you can reset this, maybe you know a tech who can reset this, maybe you can get the company to exchange it, maybe you can return it somewhere. Just know that as is, this programmer can not be used until you get it reset somehow. I couldn't get it reset and gave up and bought a new one."

I ended up getting $102.50 for it off eBay, which still means I took a bit of a hit financially, but I can live with that. Call it a cheap life lesson.

So the guy who won the auction sends me this e-mail (digging).

"I have purchased the following item on eBay from you. Please send me the total amount I owe you. how long is it going to take so i can recive the programmer i will apprciate your attentiont thank you"

The guy's e-mail is from latinmail.com. I'm starting to get the feeling that this guy doesn't speakah de English too good, so when I mailed him the total, this is what I said:

"Hi! You were the high bidder for my Hypertech Programmer. Please let me know how you would like this shipped ... I figure $5 should cover regular ground shipping, and $7 should cover two day priority mail. Drop me an e-mail and let me know how you plan on paying. Also, before paying, please be sure to let me know that you read the auction and you understand that this unit will need to be reset before using. I don't want to sell it to anyone not understanding that. Thanks, and congratulations!"

He then PayPal'ed me the money and attached this note:

"how long is it going to take so i can reciveit i will apprciate your attention thank you"

I have got the TOTAL feeling now that he doesn't understand that this thing won't work, and I've told him twice. I just KNOW I'm going to get a negative feedback out of this deal, plus some sort of attempt at a refund. I paid for a tracking number out of my pocket just to cover myself. He's already e-mailed me two more times asking when it will arrive. I sent it priority so it's got to be there today (Saturday). I am just bracing myself for this one.

I swear that thing is cursed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can translate a message to spanish for you, if you need one, just letme know

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hahahaha. Definatly sucks. If its truly cursed you can throw it out the window, and it will still end up back in your house. If that doesn't work, well then you lost $200 dollars, but you do know the items not cursed.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

What exactly does the Programmer do, besides.. umm, programming a truck?

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    What exactly does the Programmer do, besides.. umm, programming a truck?

dave
    It allows you to change any of the following things in your car by reprogramming the on board computer:

(From Hypertech)

Hypertech Power Tuning:
    Tunes the engine for maximum power and performance, plus potential gas mileage improvements.

Three Stage Power Tuning:
    Special Three Stage Tuning for 99-03 Ford Power Stroke 7.3L Vehicles.

Dual Fuel Tuning
    Lets you choose tuning for 87 octane or 93 octane fuel

Engine Rev Limiter
    Extends the engines RPM range for a wider power band

Cooling Fan On/Off Temperatures
    Permits use of low-temperature thermostat for cooler, denser intake charge and lower engine operating temperature

Transmission Shift Points
    Optimizes shift points by speed and RPM for maximum acceleration

Transmission Shift Firmness
    Firmer full-throttle gear changes for faster acceleration

Top-Speed Limiter
    Allows the vehicle's top speed to be matched to the speed rating of factory approved high-performance tires*

Speedometer/Odometer Correction
    Automatically corrects speedometer and odometer readings with non-stock tire sizes and/or non-stock r ear-end gear ratios
    (accurate odometer readings are required by law)

Turbo Boost Pressure Control
    Adjust your boost pressure

(* = in other words, removes the governor off the truck. My dad's Chevy truck used to stop at 100mph. Not any longer!)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

It's too bad you could'nt get your money back from the original guy who ripped you off. I hope you at least filed a complaint with EBay and PayPal anyway, just to annoy the SOB, and left him negative feedback.

As for the other guy, ask him the next time he e-mails if Spanish is his first language and that you can speak that for him as well if it helps. Hopefully he understands that it's used. But you said you covered your butt in your auction by saying it was used, and you have tracking to prove he got it.....I can't think of any way this can go aganist you. Just if he leaves bad feedback wait till the end of the 30 days to respond in kind.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well, from the looks of it here, you're in the right. You sold an item, and stated exactly what needed to be known. It's not your fault at all if the seller cannot read English. That's like him going to the store to buy a PS2 game, buying an Xbox game cause he couldnt read it then trying to get his money back...not your fault...if you get a negative you get a negative. No big deal.

This reminds me of the time I had a ton of items listed. One bidder won 2 of my auctions...a Mat Hoffman BMX GBA game for around 6.00 and a Castlevania BOX AND BOOK ONLY for GBA. I had the box and book left cause Gamestop didn't want it. Anyways, the box and book sold for lilke....4.50. I knew for a fact that the buyer thought it was the game. But my auction listing was very short and stated approx 4 times in caps that it was just the box and book only...and no game was included. I even went as far to say the reason why I was just selling the box and book only. I wanted to make sure that anyone that even skimmed my auction knew what it was....so anyways, I shipped his items. And once he recieved them he was pissed, But I then showed him the auction again and he wasn't "trying to hear that", He DEMANDED I send him money back right away even though he had my box and book...I refused, and he threated to shoot my house up, him and his gang called "damu worldwide". Good read, should have kept the e-mails.

Anyways, as long as you have it listed as what it is....your in the clear...dont let dumbasses hassle you around or intimidate you.