Thread: Mystaria and Blazing Heroes... THE SAME GAME!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Default Mystaria and Blazing Heroes... THE SAME GAME!

This has always been a curious issue for me, and when I brought it up to Joe, he wondered about it too. anyone else hear have information on this Saturn game that has two titles? How rare are they in comparison? Are the title screens different? Which came first? Thanks.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Judging from what I've read on ebay (like that means anything), supposedly Mystaria is the earlier, more rare version and the title was changed for copyright issues.

But, like I said, I read that on ebay, so take it for what it's worth.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Man I loved that game "I played it as Blazing Heroes", haven't played it in ages, and not sure about the differences in name, but i've also read that it's about copyright issues.

Just wanted to say I loved that game =)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8 some info that would support the copyright problems seems the problems were with TSR (D&D)

Mystaria obviously came first, as for rarity I would think Blazing heroes is more rare, because Sega was allowed to sell off they're remaining stock due to the agreement and just based on the number that are listed on ebay, although mystaria tends to bring a higher price. Also based on personal experience I've personally seen around 5 mystarias in the wild and have yet to come across blazing heroes but that just might be a regional thing. I'm pretty sure I have both I'll check and see if the title screens are different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Hey, thanks for the info Lexicon.... let me know when you find out about the title screens. Thanks!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well so far can't find my copy of blazing heroes I'll keep looking tonight. I did find 2 copies of Mystaria still have a few boxes to go through though. I'll let you know if I hunt it down Shinobi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I thought it would be fun to bump one of the first threads I ever made (That exists post ezboard!) Anyone else care to elaborate or comment of the Blazing Heroes / Mystaria topic?

Now that 11 years has past, which game appears to be rarer?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    I thought it would be fun to bump one of the first threads I ever made (That exists post ezboard!) Anyone else care to elaborate or comment of the Blazing Heroes / Mystaria topic?

Now that 11 years has past, which game appears to be rarer?
    In my experiences Blazing Heroes has been the rarer of the two. Back when the Saturn was out, I only ever saw one store carrying Blazing Heroes, Media Play. Everywhere else had Mystaria. The copy of the game that I own is also Mystaria for the same reason.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

So another game exists with multiple titles like Stadium Events and World Class Track Meet. Looking into the DP rarity guide, some of the town names have been changed so there's more of a difference between these Saturn games than the NES Stadium Events games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Along similar lines "Vanguard Bandits" was originally going to be called "Detonator Gauntlet" until Midway started grumbling about it.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason that original link wasn't working, here's an updated one:
    http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/other/may-n.htm

And for posterity:
    May 21, 1996
    Mystaria--Riglord Saga--Blazing Heroes
    Mystaria's new name is now Blazing Heroes. As previously mentioned Sega had problems with Copyright violations with the name Mystaria, they were forced to pull the game off of store shelves. It turns out that the Japanese name Riglord Saga also posed some copyright problems, so they've come up with a brand new name. Please note: as reported earlier Sega and TSR came to an agreement that is allowing Sega to sell off their remaining stock of Mystaria
    information from IG Online
    I've got a complete Blazing Heroes, and a loose copy (both found out here in CO), and a retro game store near me also has a copy of Blazing Heroes they want like $40 for. However, when I grew up in IL I only knew it as Mystaria, so maybe different regions had better chances of getting stuff. This is actually an oddly pertinent thread, since I only really learned that these were the same game like a couple months ago, funny since I've been collecting Saturn games for awhile.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    For some reason that original link wasn't working, here's an updated one:
    http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/other/may-n.htm

And for posterity:
    May 21, 1996
    Mystaria--Riglord Saga--Blazing Heroes
    Mystaria's new name is now Blazing Heroes. As previously mentioned Sega had problems with Copyright violations with the name Mystaria, they were forced to pull the game off of store shelves. It turns out that the Japanese name Riglord Saga also posed some copyright problems, so they've come up with a brand new name. Please note: as reported earlier Sega and TSR came to an agreement that is allowing Sega to sell off their remaining stock of Mystaria
    information from IG Online
    I've got a complete Blazing Heroes, and a loose copy (both found out here in CO), and a retro game store near me also has a copy of Blazing Heroes they want like $40 for. However, when I grew up in IL I only knew it as Mystaria, so maybe different regions had better chances of getting stuff. This is actually an oddly pertinent thread, since I only really learned that these were the same game like a couple months ago, funny since I've been collecting Saturn games for awhile.
    Heh, even back in 96 people were confusing trademark violations for copyright violations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but they took the time to change things like the game's name and town names, but didn't bother fixing the poor grammar