Thread: What consoles can't "REALLY" be emulated properly

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What consoles can't "REALLY" be emulated properly

Ok, here is the deal. I'm trying to emulate all these systems.

Atari 2600
    NES
    TG-16
    Genesis
    SNES
    Sega CD
    Atari Jaguar
    3D0
    Sega 32X
    Sega Saturn
    Sony Playstation
    N64

So far this is my results with these systems:

Atari 2600 - I actually haven't tried this emulator or the roms yet. Should be no problemo.

NES - I haven't tried this one either yet, again, it shouldn't be any problem

TG-16 - I have tried the Hugo with the TG-16 and it worked really well, but at the time that I had tried it, there wasn't any gamepad support. You had to use the keyboard. Maybe that has changed by now?

Genesis - I have tried my Genny emulator, and it works pretty damn good. Except sometimes it runs super super fast for some reason.

SNES - I have tried the SNES emulator and it works very good.

Sega CD - So far, I haven't been able to get Sega CD games to play. It's not recognizing my CD Drive or something.

Atari Jaguar - I did try Project Tempest, but I'm not getting anything? Maybe my PC is too slow. It's a PIII 866, with a G-Force MX card.

3DO - I tried FreeDO, but I can't get anything to work on this one either. I guess you need to play the games from the iso files, but I'm having some kindof a problem getting the iso files onto my PC properly.

Sega 32X - I've tried to play some 32X games on my emulator, but they have lots of problems. It basically crashes whenever I try it. I see the title screens of the games, but then the game doesn't run or has somekind of problem. Again, maybe my PC isn't fast enough.

Sega Saturn - From what I understand, there really isn't one decent Saturn Emulator out there that is actually worth a damn. At least none that works with any solid regularity with more than a small handfull of games.

Sony Playstation - I couldn't get any sound with ePSXe, but I could get EmuRayden to run fine.

Nintendo 64 - I have Project 64 and it works absolutely great!

So basically, to come to a conclusion, it appears that when it comes to the 3DO, Jaguar and Saturn, that maybe there aren't any really "SOLID" emu's out there for those systems yet. And when it comes to 32X, my PC might not be fast enough to run it properly. As for Sega CD, that's just me not being very good with my PC.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Jaguar is coming along but 3DO and Saturn still have a long way to go.

I have no problems whatsoever with 32X or Sega CD using the emulator "GENS". Your computer should be fast enough to run those.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try Gens for Sega Genesis, 32x, and CD . It does all 3 and does them Darn Well .

I can send it to you if you need it , I have all the needed bios with it.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Darn you Joe , you beat me to it.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about systems where emulation is mostly futile do to gimmicks that couldn't be recreated... like emulating "Time Traveller" or something...

--Zero

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari Cosmo.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anthony, try looking at the best of the best thread for emulators that will do you well on your quest. These are pretty much top picks, so you should be able to emulate many systems perfectly with your setup. Ohh, and if an emulator is running "too fast", try turning off the frameskip in that particular emulator (frameskip=0)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about systems where emulation is mostly futile do to gimmicks that couldn't be recreated... like emulating "Time Traveller" or something...

--Zero
    I did too. Now I'm filled with disappointment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye

--Zero
    I did too. Now I'm filled with disappointment.
    Me 3.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Alright, since I've gotten the votes, I'm officially hijacking this topic! What consoles do you think will never fare well with emulation?

I know there are some Virtual Boy emulators out there, and red-blue seperation seems like a decent way to get the 3D effect, but doesn't that mess up the "color"? If you're not getting infrared headaches, it's not really a Virtual Boy.

Another system I initially thought of as well was the Vectrex... since doing vectors on a raster monitor never quite does it justice in my opinion... although I supposed you could do the ZVGemu thing, and hook a vector display up to your PC. Since the cheapest source of vector displays seems to be the Vectrex itself though, this is kind of self-defeating.

Now that USB lightguns are finally available, we no longer have to play Duck Hunt and Terminator 2 arcade with a mouse.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Terminator 2 never used lightguns - just guns mounted on joysticks.

Is Virtual Boy emulation really working? I tried loading up Wario Land the other day with Red Dragon and nothing happened.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho

Is Virtual Boy emulation really working? I tried loading up Wario Land the other day with Red Dragon and nothing happened.
    I couldn't get anything to work in Red Dragon, so I decided to get an actualy copy of Wario Land.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Well, damn... I guess you're right. I remember it being mounted to the cabinet, but I always thought it was still a light gun. So I guess Terminator 2 wouldn't even work with a light gun... that kind of sucks.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The Intellivision will never be properly emulated, just because of the controllers. The Vectrex stuff looks okay to me but I never owned one so I don't have a great basis of comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    The Intellivision will never be properly emulated, just because of the controllers. The Vectrex stuff looks okay to me but I never owned one so I don't have a great basis of comparison.
    Well, I wouldn't say never. I would say if there were a perfect Intellivision emulator out there combined with some hacking to allow for a real controller to be used on the PC...well..."proper" emulation is possible...if that is what proper means Still no way to emulate the feeling of ploping in the carts and seeing that beast in front of you on the carpet while you play!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

In my opinion, a lot of computers end up getting crappy emulation because of their keyboard layout... after years and years of playing C64 stuff, I could never get used to doing it on the PC simply because the keyboard layout was broken no matter how the emulator did it. If the emulator mapped things into their equivalent positions (ie, Shift+2 became double quote), it became impossible to find stuff like the up-arrow (not the arrow key, but the character itself), the asterisk and the British pound sign.... and if I mapped the keys as they were labelled, I was constantly typing "LOAD@]@,8,1"... and of course, finding goofy characters like the British pound and up-arrow again becomes a problem.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my opinion, a lot of computers end up getting crappy emulation because of their keyboard layout... after years and years of playing C64 stuff, I could never get used to doing it on the PC simply because the keyboard layout was broken no matter how the emulator did it. If the emulator mapped things into their equivalent positions (ie, Shift+2 became double quote), it became impossible to find stuff like the up-arrow (not the arrow key, but the character itself), the asterisk and the British pound sign.... and if I mapped the keys as they were labelled, I was constantly typing "LOAD@]@,8,1"... and of course, finding goofy characters like the British pound and up-arrow again becomes a problem.

--Zero
    I hear you on this. I used to make alot of title art for different C64 BBS's back in the day using the keyboards graphic features, but doing it with emulation? Forget about it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I dunno..with an analog stick, you could get the 16 way directions, and the keyboard can operate as the pad. Kinda unweildly, but it works.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek

I couldn't get anything to work in Red Dragon, so I decided to get an actualy copy of Wario Land.
    Red Dragon is the best PC VB emu, but no, it can't play Wario Land . ViBE works pretty well for the mac, but I don't think that will play Wario Land either.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB